PDA

View Full Version : independent or thunder trucks?

Tassie Sk8r
08-02-2010, 05:49 AM
so im buying some new trucks tomorrow and i cant deside between independent or thunder trucks? i like thunder trycks because of chris cole!
but i also hear alot of good things about independent.
so if i could have some advice it would be helpful
thanks

Jonloe
08-02-2010, 05:55 AM
thunders can suck a fat penis. i really am not enjoying the pair of thunders im currently skating. ive heard good things about indys, but ventures are where its at. i say just go for ventures.

Tassie Sk8r
08-02-2010, 05:57 AM
yeah ok ill check some out
thanks

Xgecko
08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Indy's..............nothing else need be said

RIP_BOB_GNARLEY
08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
It doesn't really make a difference.

jcdc
08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Indys

Whatdoyouwant?
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Independent. That sh-t'll last.

Pathtek4
08-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Not a fan of independent at all...Like skating with a 1000ton ball and chain attached to the bottom of the board...bleh

DeathWish
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Indys
it seems thunders are inconsitent with quality control, ive had 2 pairs of their trucks that i absolutly hated, and 1 that i loved

D.R.22
08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
indys, or like it was said before... venutres :D

oatenshiro
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I like indys more, even though they have less options. Of course the extra option thunders have is the option to break.

Lewis
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Indy's are incredibly good trucks that've been around for ages I've loved every pair
I've had. Thunders are (in my experience) very soft (the only trucks I've ever grinder through)
and they also feel very heavy and my axles bent in about a month.
Ventures are also great trucks and they feel very solid and grind smooth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Snowden
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
From what I understand Indy's are heavy but good in every other concievable way, and I've heard plenty of people saying Thunder's are crap, other people swear by 'em, so I guess it's an opinion.

I've heard almost nothing but good things about Theeve, so I'd recommend checking them out.

Just don't get Grind King.

Donovan
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I skated thunder for the first time yesterday. They looked pretty damn old and they were on some old ass Vision fishtail I picked up off craigslist. It coulda been the bushing being damn old but they didn't seem to carve all that well. I only rode them for like 15 minutes so I can hardly give suggestions on that.

Indy's have nice, smooth carving and no other truck really carves like it. You have to leave them a bit loose though to see what I mean. Ventures are just as nice, they're light and have tight turns. It's preference there man, both great trucks. Just find some friend's who have them and give them a shot, or ask the guys at your local shop if they have a board set up with it you can try for a second.

Noj
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Not a fan of independent at all...Like skating with a 1000ton ball and chain attached to the bottom of the board...bleh

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you can always hit him with it."
Dxv3tMyIoiM

andius
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Indys all the way.

If you really care about weight check out ACE trucks. Its run by a dude that used to be an OG indy owner (or so i've been told), and he uses a titanium alloy with the classic independent truck mold so you get a pair of classic Indy's made out of light weight Ti alloy. I'm riding a pair right now and they are damn awesome.

Xgecko
08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I believe Shruggy was the Indy team manager for many years....Aces are essentially Stage III Indy's with more precise axles (the closest to 8mm of any on the market) They have an awesome bearing seat on the hanger, turn deeper than Indy's, grind well. I'm pretty sure they are plain aluminum. Theeve uses Ti

Tassie Sk8r
08-03-2010, 04:08 AM
i got indy's stage 9 and a dark star deck

oatenshiro
08-03-2010, 06:06 AM
i got indy's stage 9 and a dark star deck

Well thats almost the heaviest combo I can think of... next to monster trucks and darkstar. Good idea... alot of people get indies and wonder why their decks break so fast, you need heavy decks for heavy trucks.

Trebor
08-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Well thats almost the heaviest combo I can think of... next to monster trucks and darkstar. Good idea... alot of people get indies and wonder why their decks break so fast, you need heavy decks for heavy trucks.

what? you honestly think indys can make decks break easier?

and in my experience darkstar isnt any heavier or lighter than other brands.

Chance
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
He already decided on Indys but I'll go ahead and say I've never had a pair of Thunders or Ventures fail on me. Both grind great and turn fine as long as you switch out the bushings (I don't see how anyone can ride the stock bushings that come with trucks).

I think if someone is looking for a truck with a little more "bulk" in it then Theeves are the way to go now. I myself haven't gotten to try a pair yet, but I've only heard good things about them and the setup looks very promising. They also have a lot of great riders.

Colinflynn
08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
i have thunders and i love them!

Xgecko
08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
i have thunders and i love them!

good for grinding pipe coping and granite not so much for pool coping and concrete

DanMurphy
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Theeves T axles.

andius
08-06-2010, 01:04 AM

you do realize the difference between "light" and "heavy" trucks is so small. Its a smaller weight than your brain can actually determine a real difference between. Like if you held each one in your hand it would be impossible to determine with certainty which is heavier...

The other thing you said, well...

I was wearing some shoes the other day, and I put my wallet in my pants full of change and it made my shirt break.

akathecrash
08-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Indies
Posted via Mobile Device

oatenshiro
08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
you do realize the difference between "light" and "heavy" trucks is so small. Its a smaller weight than your brain can actually determine a real difference between. Like if you held each one in your hand it would be impossible to determine with certainty which is heavier...

The other thing you said, well...

I was wearing some shoes the other day, and I put my wallet in my pants full of change and it made my shirt break.

I felt the difference while skating them, not holding them.

Noj
08-06-2010, 12:40 PM
I break boards when I don't land bolts, not because my trucks are "heavy." And I have no problem getting my highest pop riding Independent. I also have no trouble flipping my board and it's an 8.25". I guess it's all just what you're used to.

andius
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I felt the difference while skating them, not holding them.

yes because that makes a lot of sense. :icon_conf

lunchbawks
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
thunder lights are MUCH lighter than indy stage 10's.

it's a real...noticeable...difference

Whatdoyouwant?
08-09-2010, 05:57 PM
thunder lights are MUCH lighter than indy stage 10's.

it's a real...noticeable...difference

I think Thunder has some pretty dope trucks, I just prefer indy more. :)

akathecrash
08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Indy
Posted via Mobile Device

lunchbawks
08-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I think Thunder has some pretty dope trucks, I just prefer indy more. :)

i just hate how you can't ride bones HC bushings with indy

Nomanslan369
08-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I have had 139mm Stage 9 Low Indy's and I just ordered some 149mm stage 10's Mid Indy's last week. My next trucks are gonna be Venture Super Lights Low or Tensor Low Magnesium's.

Just because you like Chris Cole, don't mean you will skate just like him because you have the same trucks lolz. Jamie Thomas skates Thunder's also and I am a huge fan of him, yet I wont skate those trucks; that's just me though.

Xgecko
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
i just hate how you can't ride bones HC bushings with indy

What???? that's just about all I ride my Indy's with pretty much since Bones came out with them

Trebor
08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
I have had 139mm Stage 9 Low Indy's and I just ordered some 149mm stage 10's Mid Indy's last week. My next trucks are gonna be Venture Super Lights Low or Tensor Low Magnesium's.

Just because you like Chris Cole, don't mean you will skate just like him because you have the same trucks lolz. Jamie Thomas skates Thunder's also and I am a huge fan of him, yet I wont skate those trucks; that's just me though.

stay away from them, they dont turn that well and the magnesium is really soft.

Nomanslan369
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
stay away from them, they dont turn that well and the magnesium is really soft.

I trust you're comment haha, thanks for the heads up!

akathecrash
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM
indies

S79
12-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I have Thunders and Indys. Thunders are lighter yeah, but it really doesnt make a huge difference. Thunders feel like a very strange ride dont know how to explain it, its smooth and feels...plastic-y ? I dont know how to explain it. On the other hand...Indy's feel better to me - they feel strong and bold, Indy's just feel like you can get better leverage when popping. Thunders just feel low to the ground. Indys turn great and Thunders turn Ok. If you want a "Fun" Truck..get Indys or Venture. I skated Venture 8.0 and they felt great they are just a tad too small for me... just dont have my size which is 149mm to 169. I just purchase the theeve tih and wow... The weight difference isnt really super duper light like everyone is hyping about... but the trucks ride like Indys and feel amazing of something ive never felt with any truck.

Skater Austin
12-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Well thats almost the heaviest combo I can think of... next to monster trucks and darkstar. Good idea... alot of people get indies and wonder why their decks break so fast, you need heavy decks for heavy trucks.Dude, all trucks basically weigh the same unless your 60 pounds and have no leg muscle. And the weight of the decks really shouldnt matter. My bad for the bump, didnt see the date, im sure hes already decided on his trucks by now. lol

fanphoenix
12-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Dude, all trucks basically weigh the same unless your 60 pounds and have no leg muscle. And the weight of the decks really shouldnt matter. My bad for the bump, didnt see the date, im sure hes already decided on his trucks by now. lol

Yeah, I hate how people always compare weight. As if their deck is automatically better because it weighs 1 less pound.

Also stay away from thunders. Ive had mine for 15 months now and they're crooked like / <<<<<< that and everyone says whats up with your truck, and the kingpins stick out real bad. My kingpins grinded down so bad I cant even take out the nut. Thunders are garbage.
Also the metal in front and in between the 2 bushings on the truck is completely gone. Im surprised my trucks haven't broke yet.
But when they do, im on to royals.

judakris
12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Independent. That sh-t'll last.

there good, but i bent a set in about 6 months

Chance
12-15-2010, 09:15 PM
In my opinion, Thunders. They're fairly light, real strong, and grind beautifully.

If you do get thunders though, I'd personally also get a set of Bones hardcore bushings. Thunders + Bones hardcore = the BEST riding experience.

Otherwise though, I'd also say Theeve's are really good trucks. I'm on some CSX (The cheapest Theeves they make) right now and they're really very nice. Turn beautifully, grind smooth.

Indy's aren't really bad either though, but for me they aren't special enough to stick to. Thunder and Theeve all the way.

Edit: Dammit who bumped this?

cinnamonroll30
12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
i say neither

Skater Austin
12-15-2010, 09:59 PM
i say neither
You say dydrek Silver trucks.

XGer22x
07-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Ummm u like thunders because chris cole skates them?
Just remember that he gets free trucks every time they break.
Go with the indys. They have never let me down, i skated them
15 years ago and i skate them now.

Vit
07-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Ummm u like thunders because chris cole skates them?
Just remember that he gets free trucks every time they break.
Go with the indys. They have never let me down, i skated them
15 years ago and i skate them now.

Ridiculous thread necrophilia aside, if I break my trucks and they were bought at the shop, they'll replace them free of charge. I skate Indys for a couple years, great trucks. I'm skating Thunders now, great trucks. The stock bushings on them are good to me and they grind well.

XGer22x
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
But i love the dead .... Haha

Xgecko
07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Indy's and Thunders are both poured by Ermco, Geometry is a bit different grind is the same

But i love the dead .... Haha

http://blatherwatch.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341bf6cb53ef01348620361d970c-320wi

Spinecode
07-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Indy's I reckon.

I've had Thunder's and although they are pretty good, the construction isn't as durable and if you want to replace the bushings you will never find another brand that will fit them. I found this out when I decided to buy some Bones Hardcore bushings. They wouldn't sit right and it squashes them out of shape.