Skatepark Atmosphere

Thread: Skatepark Atmosphere

Default Skatepark Atmosphere

Skatepark Atmosphere

Whether we are consciously aware of it or not, every skatepark you go to has a different atmosphere to it. No, I'm not literally talking about the gaseous envelope surrounding the park, but the vibes you feel when skating the park.

Let's face it. With every skatepark being located somewhere else around the world, expect nothing less than a different vibe to the last park you went to. There's many things that contribute to making a skatepark atmosphere.

The skatepark itself. There's not a single skatepark that is exactly the same. In size, shape, or color. There just isn't. From the numerous skateparks I've been too, and just from observing, I can conclude there tends to be a more positive atmosphere to a skatepark that is "better" than the other. Better in that there's more obstacles, better ground, smoother rails, perfect transition, etc. The works. Who would be happy with rusted metal, warped wood, or pebble ground? Not me. In short, the better the skatepark, the happier the skater.

The skate scene! The more skaters, the better the chance of meeting new people, making new friendships, and progressing faster. All positive things. I've seen, and heard about a lot of people quitting because there just wasn't anyone to skate with. Whether at the park, or just in general. Unless you truly are passionate about skateboarding, having not many people to skate with can really bring ya down.

But the biggest, and most important is the skater. When it comes down to it, it's really the skater that brings the vibe to the park. It's up to the skater to make the best of things whether their park sucks, or there's no one to skate with. The attitude, and mindset you bring when you step into your park affects everything, and everyone. If you're positive, others usually tend to catch on. I'm pretty much living proof, haha. After skating my local for so long, and with the friends I've made over the years, I went from an anti-social skater who would only skate alone, to a guy that talks to just about everyone he sees at the park. And I do mean everyone, haha.

Point being, if you hate your park, or just feel uncomfortable when skating it, there's no one to blame but yourself. It doesn't matter if it's the worst skatepark ever, or if you're the only skater in town. If you're not happy with how things are at your park, then change it. Make a petition to get a better park, or try to get some friends into skateboarding. As cliche as it is, you can make a difference if you make the effort too. From moving a couple obstacles around to make a new one, to just saying a simple, "Hi" to the little kid that just started, you have the power to make your skatepark atmosphere bigger than Jupiter (which is pretty big considering it's 2 1/2 times the mass of all the other planets in the Solar System combined).
    Last edited by BakerForLife; 09-27-2010 at 05:04 PM.

We have 2 parks near me, one in a very close town, and one in our city. The city park SUCKS, we have 2 spines (woodward and warped.) A metal funbox (dented) A quarterpipe (has a crack in it) And some concrete hills, there are pebbles all over the place and it's terrible. HOWEVER, the atmosphere is better than the town park. Everyone at the town park with the new half pipe, perfect funbox, quarter to box with a rail... is an *******. The people at the crappy city park are friendly and they help out when you can't quite nail something. Whether its sharing a smoke, distracting a cop (it's right next to the police station) or trying to clear out some rocks, we all have a good time in spite of conditions. We may be an anomaly, but I love it.

^ this was the best thread i've read all day

Wow theres a lot of skatepark threads going on atm

but still id say the best thing about the "park environment" where i live is the way people skate...

Most people arrive and chill (ollies etc.) for half an hour, then get more serious and try learning new ****, after a few hours of that were all tired and just start ****ing arround as a cool down sesh.

The cool down is actually my favourite bit of the sesh because its not too hardcore and its really creative and inventive. in the last few hours people are doing such weird tricks that its just so much fun to "create" stuff.

If you look in the thread "respect for your local skatepark" you can see i added a pic of my local park,there is a wallie wall that gets sessioned hard during the cool down and its soooo much fun. we'll all be trying weird stuff on it like switch rock to tail revert out and stuff like that. and skating the flatbanks like slanted manny pads (ollie on from the side)

This is generally my favourite bit of park skating because you see the kinda stuff that youve never seen in videos and wouldnt even think of doing until you get inspired, plenty of step hop tricks,reverted tricks,body varials,grabs/footplants, manny combos and all that

LOVE IT

also... speaking of "****ty parks" i actually love skating them from time to time, it feels alot cooler to land a trick in a ghetto as **** pool or torn up park than in a perfect environment, also makes nicer looking footage to film at a "ghetto spot" than a skatepark thats been made with a spirit level and the smoothest ground imaginable
    Last edited by finknoos; 09-28-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    Lifes a game of give or take, and people take the right piss.

I think it also depends on the size of the area....
    In Austin, there's an absolute chill vibe at nearly every park except for this one down in the lesser income area. That might have to do with the fact of the money, but it's a super nice park. Everyone's just a **** down there.

My park is pretty great! Decent size, lots of obstacles. Flaws would be that its surrounded by trees so things get pretty messy in the fall/winter. But everyone is usually super nice and chill. U do get the occasional donkey butt (lol)

One thing, the city usually comes to clean up the park....one time, after it being baisically unskateable for a few days, I came by just as a city worker finished using a handblower to clear the entire park. I made sure to thank him...and let me tell u, he left with a huge smile! So let the city workers know u appreciate their hard work in keeping ur park in good condition. Cus I know how much it must suck if my park was never cleaned
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by feedtheflame View Post
    My park is pretty great! Decent size, lots of obstacles. Flaws would be that its surrounded by trees so things get pretty messy in the fall/winter. But everyone is usually super nice and chill. U do get the occasional donkey butt (lol)

One thing, the city usually comes to clean up the park....one time, after it being baisically unskateable for a few days, I came by just as a city worker finished using a handblower to clear the entire park. I made sure to thank him...and let me tell u, he left with a huge smile! So let the city workers know u appreciate their hard work in keeping ur park in good condition. Cus I know how much it must suck if my park was never cleaned
    Posted via Mobile Device

I would love to but no-one takes care of our skateparks except the skaters. its ****ing annoying because BMXers and all that come and use the park and dont maintain it, like they will throw rubbish on the floor and stuff and the skaters will clean it up after

As a skate park owner, I have seen the atmosphere change substantially over the past 6 years. Originally, we had mostly young skaters (10 - 15) and only a few older (18 - 25). Now, over 75% of our skaters are in the 18+ age group.
    We have always allowed roller blades (when the park is not too crowded) and I have seen some awesome folks. Skooters are welcome when the very young kids won't be in the way of the skateboarders.
    We don't allow bikes, which really pisses some people. This is especially difficult, as our town has an excellent BMX track, which hosts state competitions (2/year) and has hosted the east coast national competition. Bikes don't mix well with wood floors and skatelite ramps.
    I try to maintain a fun environment, so that the mothers of the young, new skateboarders will feel comfortable.

Ron, the Country Guy

Quote Originally Posted by feedtheflame View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    LOL! Well I think it is the exact opposite where I live My park is cleaned up by Crazy (with a capital c) people that are forced to do it for community service. All they have is a weed wacker and they just knock down all the weeds and knock bark every where... What kind of city designs a skatepark with bark surrounding the whole thing?
    Goals for this season

[x] 360
    [+] Kickflips
    [+] 5-0's
    [x] Heelflips
    [x] Noseslide

Quote Originally Posted by Ttam View Post
    LOL! Well I think it is the exact opposite where I live My park is cleaned up by Crazy (with a capital c) people that are forced to do it for community service. All they have is a weed wacker and they just knock down all the weeds and knock bark every where... What kind of city designs a skatepark with bark surrounding the whole thing?
    Well weve got mud and stones all round the edge of our park, and we all know how skaters feel about stones, little tiny stones

Quote Originally Posted by BakerForLife View Post
    Point being, if you hate your park, or just feel uncomfortable when skating it, there's no one to blame but yourself. It doesn't matter if it's the worst skatepark ever, or if you're the only skater in town. If you're not happy with how things are at your park, then change it. Make a petition to get a better park, or try to get some friends into skateboarding. As cliche as it is, you can make a difference if you make the effort too. From moving a couple obstacles around to make a new one, to just saying a simple, "Hi" to the little kid that just started, you have the power to make your skatepark atmosphere bigger than Jupiter (which is pretty big considering it's 2 1/2 times the mass of all the other planets in the Solar System combined).
    Amen, brother. Skaters need to step up and drop the apathy crap.

Apathy is NOT cool. You need to give a damn about your park. Clean it. Fix it. Don't wait for the city to do the work. It is YOUR skatepark. Take care of it.

This is how we do it in California...

Your local skatepark belongs to you. Support it.

Memphis' first public skatepark will be opening in September. I can't wait to see how folks are. I haven't skated in 13 years, except for this past week when I bought a powell-peralta board. I've been practicing ollies again! I hope the new skatepark is cool.

Supreme Member

The skatepark in my city needs some fixing in certain areas. i believe it would've been even better if they built it exactly how the plans were instead of doing something different. But skating the streets is more funner

and i will have to disagree with you about feeling uncomfortable skating our skatepark its when people from surrounding cities and try to come and take over. But you'd have to spend a weekend at the park and see for yourself.
    There's a like panel of Judges in skateboarding you know? the dudes who deem its cool then its cool-Marc Johnson

Nowadays I just think its just what the biggest rail and who can do the most tricks. It's more like hammers hammers hammers on videos rather then pushing -Nate Jones

Watchin videos I'd watch more about people how they did the trick then the trick they were doing-Nate Jones

FuturePrimitive

The vibe I bring to the park is the same vibe I have always brought to skateboarding. I'm stoked just to skate with other people who skate, and I encourage them no matter their level. When someone is really good, I make a point of telling that skater I think so.

I feel like my vibe has transferred somewhat to the other kids, though I do see some competitiveness and hear some lame arguments over who is better from time to time. The park I skate at is small and limiting, nothing too gnarly. I'm always tempted to tell the kids whose egos have inflated that there's always somebody better, but I just hold my tongue and smile. They'll learn.

Even I can get caught up thinking I'm "good," which is totally silly. I was breaking in some new shoes the other day and found myself getting angry over not landing tricks. A nice lady skateboarder took me aside and told me that I'm usually smiling and enjoying myself the whole time I skate. Realizing what I had been doing, I told her, "I have to remind myself that I'm not any good at this."

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

No-one really vibes at my skatepark, and I blame the people who built it. The city of crystal lake had no idea what they were doing and built the crappiest thing I've ever had the displeasure of skating.

Sheet metal ledges, stair set that can't be skated cause there is a quarter pipe instead of a regular ramp in front of it. They didn't use skatelite, just some crappy ass material that makes everything slick as hell. The miniramp has no vert at all, all in all the way the park was built it stops everyone from every having a good time cause nothing besides the rails is actually skateable

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Try to hit on her. If she doesn't like you, she'll probably hide when she sees you walk in. If she does, you will be "sponsored" by your shop's owner's daughter.
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Kill your brain

I only use my skatepark for public defecation, is this ok?
    wubwub

Skateparks have their merits, but overall I prefer street skating, and trying to create my own obstacles etc. Sketchy spots are much more fun in my opinion too.