Krooked "Brite Eyes" 7.9 Review

Thread: Krooked "Brite Eyes" 7.9 Review

Default Krooked "Brite Eyes" 7.9 Review

Krooked "Brite Eyes" 7.9" Deck Review

Price
    You'll be spending close to $50 at most skate shops/online stores. Some may have them for as low as $40-45, but for the most part this deck will be in the $50-$60 range. I got mine on sale for $40.

Where To Buy?
    Local skate shops will definitely supply them. Maybe not this exact graphic, but Krooked is a popular brand, so most skate shops are bound to supply some. If not, there's lots of online stores that do. A few online stores you can purchase these from include...
    www.utilityboardsupply.com
    www.plusskateshop.com
    www.activerideshop.com
    www.libertyboardshop.com
    www.ccs.com

First Thoughts/Impressions
    Being my first Krooked, I heard many good things, so I knew I was choosing quality. I like the bright colors, and how vibrant it is. It stands out nicely, and gives some originality from other decks.

Shape
    I've only ridden a few 7.9's, so I wasn't too worried about the shape being good. It gives of a similar shape as Deathwish which appeals to me. It's not too wide, or long at all. I ride a 8.0, so this being a 7.9 was fine. It didn't really lose any of it's shape while I skated it. It held it's own quite well.

Nose Concave

Tail Concave

Concave
    I really liked the concave of this deck. I'd say it's a little more than medium, but not steep enough to be considered having steep concave. I liked it. A definite strong point of the deck. The nose is a little steeper than the tail concave which is to be expected. The concave gives you good footing for your tricks, and has a comfortable feel. Not anywhere on this deck is there a mellow feel. With other board companies, a few make their tails mellow, while having the nose be medium steepness. I'm not a fan of it whatsoever. Both the nose, and tail on this deck were perfect for me.

Durability
    I had never had a DLX so I didn't really know what to expect. Most boards last me at least a solid month if not, a little more. This deck held up well after 6-7 weeks until it broke skating a gap. I'm impressed with the durability of this deck. There weren't any major pressure crack along the trucks, or anything. Usually with other boards, within the first week pressure crack would start to show up. Overall, I'm pleased with how long this deck has lasted me, and would definitely recommend it to someone needing a deck to last them for more than a month or so.

Pop
    Some don't believe in such a thing, but for those who do (including me), I'll tell you what I thought of it. From the very first sessions skating it, it had pretty good pop. Not as much as I was expecting, but enough for anyone needing a crisp poppy deck. The thing that impressed me is that the pop stays throughout the life of the deck. Sure it wears down a little naturally, but doesn't seem to lose it's pop as much as most other decks I've skated have. The pop was still ok for how long it'd been skating it. I still got springy kickflips, and ollies when I wanted to. Overall, it gives you a solid pop everytime.

Overall
    Well, there you have it. Krooked has definitely made a name for itself in my books. I'd recommend them to someone looking for a deck with a nice shape/concave, and good durability. Maybe not the most poppy, but they hold their own nicely. So overall, if you want a deck with a comfortable feeling shape, a in between steep and mellow concave, and long lasting deck, give Krooked a try.

I'm not exactly sure you know what concave means

It's the dip between the bolts and nose/tail.

uhh...no. Concave refers to how much the board curves towards the middle from the sides. When you step on a deck, it's not a completely flat surface, there's a curve. The concave is how much curve a board has from side to side, not how high or mellow the nose and tail are.

So if what I'm talking about isn't concave then what is it?

the nose/tail

Nameless

id just refer to it as nose and tail steepness.

good review though, lots of pictures/description.
    The last man on earth was sitting in his living room when he heard a knock at the door...

Alright, next time I'll just describe how the way it feels, and not label it as being concave. Thanks guys.

Retired Staff

When boards lose their pop, I'm wondering if it's something like how mattresses get heavier through out it's life cuz of all the crap it absorbs over time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Kill your brain

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    When boards lose their pop, I'm wondering if it's something like how mattresses get heavier through out it's life cuz of all the crap it absorbs over time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I think the bonds between the plies loosen up over time as well
    wubwub

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by andius View Post
    I think the bonds between the plies loosen up over time as well
    yikes.....that would be more than losing pop (delam).....usually losing pop refers to the fact that the board loses its end to end rigidity, taking longer to return to it's pressed shape when flexed than when new

Kill your brain

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    yikes.....that would be more than losing pop (delam).....usually losing pop refers to the fact that the board loses its end to end rigidity, taking longer to return to it's pressed shape when flexed than when new
    im not talking about full separation of the plies, just slow stretching and pulling from the stress on skateboarding making the bonds weaker, thereby "losing its end to end rigidity".
    wubwub

Speed Junkie

I spent a number of years pressing skate boards and snowboards, what you are describing is a side effect not the cause. From the day of pressing a wood board is under tension it really wants to return to its pre pressed flat shape and relax from the shape that it's been formed to. It's not the glue its the wood that breaks down. Most glues are stronger than the materials they are bonding skateboard glue included (it's just a short shelf life version of Tightbond III). Snowboards get around this by using preformed wood cores Libtech built some boards with preformed snowboard type cores. But in the end it's the wood that gets soft.

Cafe Fuzz

Nice review! Pretty informative and thorough.

My current board has TOO much concave and I hate it! Thought it was alright, then put the wheels on it and I feel like I'm riding a hard shell taco
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.