Girls Starting To Skate - Reactions At SkateParks?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls Starting To Skate - Reactions At SkateParks?

Default Girls Starting To Skate - Reactions At SkateParks?

Hi all,

First thread here! I'm a pretty nervous girl (well.. woman, I'm 23) who is just starting to skate. I'm getting my first board soon and am hoping to use a local skate park. I cannot wait to skate, but I admit that I'm nervous of reactions from people about, well... me being a girl. (And also not being amazing straight off that bat, though I know this will be improved with time. I'm very ambitious). I'm worried it'll be full of young boys who will laugh. I figure that the majority of you guys are the ones who fill skateparks so I guess you're the ones I should ask about this.

This is also aimed at other girls / women who have been to skateparks completely new. How did it go? Any input is appreciated. x

DJyoyoLilDyls

I dig em.

But really, you shouldnt be worried at all.

You're going to be an eye magnet. Everyone probably going to be like "wow a girls skating." That's what they do at my local park. Well all the kids that can't skate. All the kids that actually can skate just think of you as another skater.

But if I see a girl skate at a park I don't really watch her because shes just like everyone else. Unless shes shredding. Then I watch.

psn=Stusiano

i think its pretty sick. there was a girl that showed up at my local park and it was pretty sick

Theres a lot of girls at this forum, actually.

Dont be worried at all, 90% of the time when I go to skate at parks there are girls there. It's common, nothing to be worried about whatsoever.

evil vibes

When ever I see a girl at a park, I get happy.
    When ever I see a girl skater at a skater park, trying, I get really happy.
    Above the lakes, above the vales,
    The mountains and the woods, the clouds, the seas,
    Beyond the sun, beyond the ether,
    Beyond the confines of the starry spheres,
    My soul, you move with ease

Kill your brain

as long as you're skating and having a good time ,regardless of gender, you'll be fine.
    wubwub

Word.

theres actually a lot of girl skaters that are REALLY GOOD.

and my fav:

and those are just a few.
    so dont worry,cause girls skateboarding isn't a entirely new thing.
    more than likely nobody is going to care,as long as you're skating and not being one of the lurking ramp tramps

Reaction: Skater Girl? Damn, hot as hell! +.+
    Normal reacting: Heh, it's alright

@CalebS
    Ive just watched the first vid, kinda confused. I didn't knew where should I look at first, if at her or at her tricks, ahah

Kill your brain

^^ yeah bro!!
    wubwub

FuturePrimitive

Dal Santo is so legit.

There's girls who skate at my local park. They're totally accepted. My niece skates with me, she's pretty good. As long as you're having fun, don't worry about what anyone thinks.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

You might pull some extra attention from the younger skaters, but I wouldn't worry at all about slander/people being rude.

And like Noj said above me, as long as you're having fun skating, don't worry much about what else is going on around you.

she gota a donk

If you're worried about the reaction people are going to have to your gender at a skatepark, you're off to a bit of a bad start, in my opinion.

Part of skate culture is not caring what everyone else thinks. Not caring when you brutally bomb a simple trick and roll halfway across the park, not caring when adults call you out for being "delinquent punks", etc. Just do what you do and enjoy it.

You might get all sorts of reactions. Maybe criticism, maybe admiration, maybe cat-calls.

Skating is not a "boy hobby", it's just a hobby that happens to be dominated by high school boys. So don't worry about your age, gender, race, whatever, just go out there and do it - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by andius View Post
    as long as you're skating and having a good time ,regardless of gender, you'll be fine.
    ^ This.
    I know that at the local park near my folks house, people love it if a girl turns up at the park with a board. There was one wee lass who I think has moved away now, but she was better that half the guys at the park. I've tried to get a couple of my girl friends to skate over the years but they've both given up after a few weeks because they felt there were too many guys there, and they felt a bit weird about it

There should be more girl skaters. I'm still trying to convert my current girlfriend
    The Animals

Quote Originally Posted by Shiller View Post
    I'm a pretty nervous girl (well.. woman, I'm 23) who is just starting to skate. I'm getting my first board soon and am hoping to use a local skate park. ... I'm worried it'll be full of young boys who will laugh.
    The "vibe" at all skateparks is very different. I've never skated in England, so I have no idea what your local park will be like.

But...

You're 23. Don't sweat it if some 12 year old strangers laugh at you. Who cares what they think? Skate. Have fun. Girl skaters rule. Check out my video below of some of our girls here in Southern California. Get stoked. Get inspired. Keep skating...

Last edited by SkateCalifornia; 12-23-2010 at 03:47 PM.

I met an asian girl skater once who could tre flip it was cool

I'm 19 and a chick, and I skate. Younger guys think it's funny..but hey, I was skating before them, not gonna give it up! Most of the attention is good, lol. Have fun!!!

I was at my local indoor park yesterday and there was a girl tearing up the mini. as a matter of fact that park does girls skate free wednesdays

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Try to hit on her. If she doesn't like you, she'll probably hide when she sees you walk in. If she does, you will be "sponsored" by your shop's owner's daughter.
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Nght12 View Post
    as a matter of fact that park does girls skate free wednesdays
    If I ever stumbled upon a skatepark that does that, I'd personally boycott it.

The idea of "girl skaters" and "girl gamers" irritates me. Why not just use the term "skaters" and "gamers"? By adding "girl" before the term, they're intentionally singling themselves out, whether they realise it or not. It's implying that the hobbies are meant for guys and it's some sort of big deal that they're involving themselves. They're creating a gender boundary.