Girls Starting To Skate - Reactions At SkateParks? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Girls Starting To Skate - Reactions At SkateParks?

Quote Originally Posted by Intention View Post
    If I ever stumbled upon a skatepark that does that, I'd personally boycott it.

The idea of "girl skaters" and "girl gamers" irritates me. Why not just use the term "skaters" and "gamers"? By adding "girl" before the term, they're intentionally singling themselves out, whether they realise it or not. It's implying that the hobbies are meant for guys and it's some sort of big deal that they're involving themselves. They're creating a gender boundary.
    That or they are trying to introduce more females to skating. it could be taken either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Try to hit on her. If she doesn't like you, she'll probably hide when she sees you walk in. If she does, you will be "sponsored" by your shop's owner's daughter.
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

i would say it depends on the skate scene in your town. but theres like 3 girl skaters in my town and a few more that just hang out at the park and its all good

^Do it I want to get some bearings^

Anti-Berrics Rules GOS

1. 505088k-
    2. mirko-SK
    3. lukesamess-
    *matches due march 30 by midnight

Quote Originally Posted by Nght12 View Post
    That or they are trying to introduce more females to skating. it could be taken either way.
    True, but if a girl is concerned about how people are going to view her due to her gender, she's got a lot more to worry about. A huge part of skating is about not caring. You fail a trick and go flying off your board resulting in some scrapes and bruises, and you laugh it off. You break your 40$ board and you laugh it off. You're approached by a biased adult who thinks that just because you're on a skateboard you must be tearing down fences and breaking store windows somewhere, and you laugh it off.

I think the guys in this hobby probably understand this better than the girls, unfortunately. Some of these girls need to stop being so afraid and just get out there and do it, and I don't think giving girls their own special skate day is going to help them in that case.

I love Girls tht know how to ride a skateboard..gives me a BONER !@#

Word.

there are no girls that skate in my town but there are alot that hang out at the skatepark cause they like guys that skate.

the ones that sit on skate obstacles piss me off especially

Quote Originally Posted by LizardSkate View Post
    I love Girls tht know how to ride a skateboard..gives me a BONER !@#
    so would you say girls pushing wood gives you wood....sorry for the bad joke i feel terrible :P

^Do it I want to get some bearings^

Anti-Berrics Rules GOS

1. 505088k-
    2. mirko-SK
    3. lukesamess-
    *matches due march 30 by midnight

Quote Originally Posted by lukesamess View Post
    so would you say girls pushing wood gives you wood....sorry for the bad joke i feel terrible :P
    I would say that this is a worse thing for female skaters to deal with that not having to pay to get in a park on a certain day

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Try to hit on her. If she doesn't like you, she'll probably hide when she sees you walk in. If she does, you will be "sponsored" by your shop's owner's daughter.
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

I'm not entirely positive 32-inch long, 8-inch wide flat wood is going to feel very good down there.

lmfao yeah !@#

at CalebS, the only thing I learnt from the vanessa torres vid was, Hi, I skate, I like kickflips, front boards and crooked grinds.
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

Supreme Member

dont worry about it. the only advice to give is the same as anyone who is going a to a park for the firts time. be comfortable riding around on your skateboard, and respect other skaters. be sure you dont cut people off or anything like that. besides that, you shouldnt have a problem at all. if anything, most dudes are even more happy to see girl skaters at a park.

GET FREE SKATEBOARD STUFF
    sign up and get some points that are spendable on skate products just for using their search engine!

http://element.searchpluswin.com/?cm...ster&rb=783653

Quote Originally Posted by F#ckTheStreets View Post
    From what i've heard it's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Shiller View Post
    Hi all,

First thread here! I'm a pretty nervous girl (well.. woman, I'm 23) who is just starting to skate. I'm getting my first board soon and am hoping to use a local skate park. I cannot wait to skate, but I admit that I'm nervous of reactions from people about, well... me being a girl. (And also not being amazing straight off that bat, though I know this will be improved with time. I'm very ambitious). I'm worried it'll be full of young boys who will laugh. I figure that the majority of you guys are the ones who fill skateparks so I guess you're the ones I should ask about this.

This is also aimed at other girls / women who have been to skateparks completely new. How did it go? Any input is appreciated. x

hit the park early....my local park is pretty much adults only in the morning as we all hit it up before we go to work or school (for two of us). I DH with a couple of women one better than me and one who's learning. The best advice I ever heard was "follow people's lines to learn"

I've seen a couple of girl skating the park recently. Younger guys always seem shocked, older guys just skate and talk to the girl as normal. I don't mean to sound like an ******* or anything, but the reaction is also largely down to how attractive you are.

I'd also like to say that very very few skaters in real life are anything like the youtube commenters (guys who just insult and have high standards). Most are cool and welcoming.

I'd reccomend learning with a friend at a similar skill level just to feel comfortable and exchange ideas.

Supreme Member

because of the rarity of seeing a girl skater, the first thought that comes to mind is that she is just in some phase and it will be over once she realizes it's not farmville on facebook. it actually requires effort to get anywhere.

Ignore the few *******s in this thread.
    It should be fine, even if people are being dicks at the skatepark don't let that stop you. Learn how to ride well enough that you're not going to get in peoples way before going down to the park. Just spend a week or two riding about your neighbourhood first and to be honest there's no point in going to a skatepark until you can ollie, other than meeting, and getting tips off, new people.
    I wish you the best of luck! Perseverance is the key.

Thanks so much for the responses so far, for the most part they've been extremely helpful.

I've spoken to my boyfriend about this (as guilty as I feel like I'm trying desperately to push him into my interest, he did used to be a skater himself!) as I would like some 'supervision' (I'm not the toughest girl for a passtime like this - I wouldn't like to be completely alone for my first falls), we will go out together early morning and find a few 'skate spots' which are isolated. I will learn some basic stuff before I go to the skatepark. I can't wait for my first drop-in.

I think for how much I've been talking about it, it's sparking his interest a little.
    I do really secretly hope that the other guys he lives with will be perked into getting into skating again. We're all in our twenties and most of the guys used to be into skating in their early - mid teens and then quit once they started Uni and got jobs and then neglected their skating. I hope this could be a good bonding thing to do. I will probably cry if they end up getting into skating again! Would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiller View Post
    (I'm not the toughest girl for a passtime like this - I wouldn't like to be completely alone for my first falls),
    When Holly and I created my skate video, I asked her, "Why don't you think more girls skate?"

She suspected it may be because society doesn't encourage women to "get up and try again" when they fall and get hurt. Little girls are coddled when they get hurt. Little boys are told not to cry. (Except pansy mommas-boys, but that's a whole different ball of psychological wax.)

So, my advice is to become a tougher girl. You will fall. You will be injured. You just gotta brush yourself off and try again. The metaphor for life is the essence of skateboarding.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateCalifornia View Post
    When Holly and I created my skate video, I asked her, "Why don't you think more girls skate?"

She suspected it may be because society doesn't encourage women to "get up and try again" when they fall and get hurt. Little girls are coddled when they get hurt. Little boys are told not to cry. (Except pansy mommas-boys, but that's a whole different ball of psychological wax.)

So, my advice is to become a tougher girl. You will fall. You will be injured. You just gotta brush yourself off and try again. The metaphor for life is the essence of skateboarding.

This.
    "The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Nashvillain View Post
    This.

you will be fine as long as you don't get caught up in the "skater girl/poser" image those chicks and boys are ****ing annoying.