R.I.P Bob Staton - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P Bob Staton

Rest in peace Bob!

Me and Bob used to bump heads on alot of subjects.
    But a few months back, we sat down and exchanged quite a few emails back to back and settled everything. Talked about everything that had happened, made peace and talked more about skating.
    I was super tight on money since my parents lost their jobs, and I was looking for one myself, and Mr. Elder was selling art (and I saw a piece I really really liked, but couldn't afford), and without a second thought. Bob emailed me saying he'd get it for me, no worries. That picture is still hanging up next to me, and i see it every morning. And ever since I heard this bad news, every time I see it, I think of Bob, then proceed to get motivated to skate.

Skate for those who can't and live everyday like your last.

I have to be honest, about 4 years ago, I would've probably said that Bob is someone who got on my nerves sometimes. But over the past couple of years, he started doing a lot of good things for freestyle and he is a really nice guy. R.I.P. Bob, you were a good person.

Most of 'our' conversations these days went through facebook and A LOT of skaters from around the globe mourned his early death.
    He was batteling cancer for a long time and it looked like he was getting better recently.
    Unfortunately he lost the battle.....so sad.

On the otherhand, he DID so much for our Freestyle community, that a lot of people will realize this in years to come.
    Sure, he was an older 'dude', but he was so COMMITTED to skateboarding, even at an age most people would not even consider to do any sports at all.
    But he managed to bring three or more generations together for one cause: Freestyle Skateboarding!
    Last September I finally got to meet him in person; he was sick back then and I didn't even take a foto of him and myself, because we were so busy exchanging ideas and I was telling him the great outcome of the Philly Worlds, he smiled.
    He had fulfilled his dream so to speak, to put back Freestyle into a larger audience at an international level. The internet helped a LOT to achieve all this.

We were successful, and now it's time for the younger generations to continue!

Rest in peace dear Bob!

R.I.P steelwheelBob.

Veteran Member

I miss Bob very much. First time I met him was already 1982, in Santa Barbara. We worked together with the WFSA for 11 years. I miss the almost daily email communication we had, and the phone calls. And meeting him once a year in California. We were supposed to go paddle surfing last year, but had to postpone it to next summer...

Reading emails from Bob, dated 2001, he already back then could see what would happen with freestyle. It is amazing to see how right he was!

He is the reason there is a signature Lillis deck, and not just a deck wth a Reverse logo, he told me in 2000 that a signature model would be good for freestyle.

A true visionary, that always tried his best to make sure everyone had a great fun time.

My personal belief is that the core of our being, our spirit, is immortal. It takes human form briefly and have human experiences for a short time. I don't know what the spirit who recentley was here as Bob is doing right now, but I am sure he is alright and have adapted, and surfing and skating the heavenly realms.

Beautiful stated, everyone!
    ==============================

Robert Staton - facebook.com/Robert.Staton

Memorial

We will be having an *informal* memorial for my father, Robert Charles Staton (aka SteelWheel Bob). His ashes will be scattered in the ocean near University Point in Santa Barbara, at 2PM on Saturday April 2nd.

The closest parking will be at the Marine Biotechnology Laboratory, part of UCSB. But if that area is not available, there is also parking nearby, at Goleta Beach County Park.

If a bunch of skaters show up, maybe you could put together a skate jam afterward. I don't know what would be a good spot around there.

(by Bob's daughter)

Veteran Member

Wow, this just floored me. I have been away from the forums for a bit and to find that this happened is sad. Bob and I only spoke a few times but he was always very kind and one could see that he really loved freestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Lucas View Post
    Beautiful stated, everyone!
    ==============================

Robert Staton - facebook.com/Robert.Staton

Memorial

We will be having an *informal* memorial for my father, Robert Charles Staton (aka SteelWheel Bob). His ashes will be scattered in the ocean near University Point in Santa Barbara, at 2PM on Saturday April 2nd.

The closest parking will be at the Marine Biotechnology Laboratory, part of UCSB. But if that area is not available, there is also parking nearby, at Goleta Beach County Park.

If a bunch of skaters show up, maybe you could put together a skate jam afterward. I don't know what would be a good spot around there.

(by Bob's daughter)
    I will do everything in my power to be there! A skate memorial in his honor is the perfect way to celebrate his passion, his life and dedication for what he has done for us. I will do my best to come up with a plan depending on the location and terrain. Anything that I can do to set up a skate jam in his honor and I would like to speak sometime during the jam, speak to Bob and to his family that wherever he might be, he'll see us and he'll smile as we continue that drive that he had, into the future!

Last forever Bob! Here in our hearts, our souls and our minds!

Speed Junkie

damn I can't believe I missed this I chatted with him a bit last spring as I was restarting freestyle, he was such a cool soul he will be missed

Memorial on April 2nd: see "R.I.P Bob Staton - memorial".
    Please reply there if you are interested.

Man I'm going to miss this guy... I won some trophies at the little competition he held at Marine Park in San Diego.

I've been away from home for so long, and haven't seen those trophies in a while. Those things will mean so much more now... Even though I never once wanted trophies for skateboarding the fact i got them from him means alot... Thank you Bob, Rest in Peace, sorry i can't be at a the memorial...

Default Bob Staton Memorial - April 2, 2011 -- Info Update

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Carrasco
    Here is the info on the Memorial for Bob Staton received from Bob's family:

The Robert Charles Staton Memorial/Celebration of Life, paddle out and BBQ will be held at Goleta State Park Beach, April 2 at 2:00pm. Below are general directions. The beach has a grass area where a BBQ will be held, the paddle out will be in the same area. If you have a favorite food dish you would like to share- please bring it. You are encouraged to bring a beach chair, warm clothing & whatever you wish to drink. So far the weather is forecasted to be 63 degrees & cloudy.

If you have any Robert/Steel Wheel Bob pictures or memorabilia, please bring them to share. If you wish to say something about Robert's life, you may do so before the paddle out.

From North of Goleta:
    US-101 South
    Take the FAIRVIEW AVE exit, EXIT 105
    Turn RIGHT onto S FAIRVIEW AVE.
    Turn RIGHT onto JAMES FOWLER RD. - JAMES FOWLER RD becomes WM L MOFFETT PL.
    WM L MOFFETT PL becomes SANDSPIT RD.- Turn RIGHT to stay on SANDSPIT RD.
    Look for the grass area with picnic tables- there will be a sign.

From South of Goleta:
    US-101 North
    Merge onto WARD MEMORIAL BLVD/CA-217 S via EXIT 104B toward AIRPORT/U C S B.
    Take the SANDSPIT ROAD exit, EXIT 1. - Stay STRAIGHT to go onto SANDSPIT RD.
    Turn LEFT to stay on SANDSPIT RD.
    Take the 1st RIGHT to stay on SANDSPIT RD.
    Look for the grass area with picnic tables- there will be a sign.

The beaches in Isle Vista will be closed. I have checked with the Parks Dept. & the Goleta Police - Goleta Beach will be open. If you have questions, e-mail or call me: 805.528.8599/hm or 805.431.4884 cell.

See you all there!
    Robert's Cousin/Sister Nora

This Memorial is open to anyone who wishes to attend. Richy and I will be there and will be presenting Bob's family with a special keepsake in honor of Bob's induction into the Freestyle Hall of Fame. Will post pics afterward too.

RIP indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Man I'm going to miss this guy... I won some trophies at the little competition he held at Marine Park in San Diego.

I've been away from home for so long, and haven't seen those trophies in a while. Those things will mean so much more now... Even though I never once wanted trophies for skateboarding the fact i got them from him means alot... Thank you Bob, Rest in Peace, sorry i can't be at a the memorial...
    Thank you for your kind replies.

Together with some others who knew him very well and since a very long time, I'm thinking about ways to keep his memory alive, that Bob would have liked very much.

Like by arranging some freestyle contest format that Bob liked (like the funny "Puppy Cup" for toddlers, "Ollie Gap"/longest ollie/"Staton's Gap", "Hippy Jump Contest", etc.).
    And we also think about weird prizes that Bob used to arrange (like dinosaurs and such).

If you want to be involved with the organization of events like that, please reply here.
    A reply from me by PM and/or email is guaranteed.

EastSideMofos

Rest in Peace