Thread: Early attempts at flight!

Default Early attempts at flight!

This thread is dedicated to those in the early 20th century who made ambitious attempts at flight.These machines may be odd but this was when aerodynamics was still an unsolved problem.

Horatio Phillps 1907 multiplane (this actualy flew 500 ft!)

Bleriot III

Givaudan 1909

D'Equevillay 1908

Dorand 1908

Kauffmann No.1 1910

Moisant 1910

Paulhan 1911

Robart 1908

Vendome

Plenty more to come!

EDIT (aww crap,the pictures didn't show did they?)

Heres Horatio Phillips multiplane

Givauden 1909

D'Equevillay 1908

Dorand 1908

Kauffmann No.1 1910

Moisant 1910

Paulhan 1911

Robart 1908

Vendome

1908 looks kick ass

Heres more!

Horatio Phillips 1904 multiplane

The 1912 Huntington

Wilbur R. Kimball's 1908 machine

1910 Shultz

Texas preacher Burrel Cannon's machine

1911 Garcia "Polyplane"

These guys must have been smoking a ****load of crack to come up with stuff like this..

Kauffman's attmept was pretty epic looking.
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

Gravity Slave Moderator

I enjoy watching the failures in their full wreckage!

FuturePrimitive

Those old attempts at planes remind me of these cool kinetic sculptures:

Wind-powered!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Veteran Member

I think all these guys were amazing. You have to think there were no windtunnels aerodynamics were yet to be understood. Look at how much time and money must have gone into most of these. I skydive a bit so anything to do with planes intrigues me. Da vinci was the most amazing his understanding was far before its time. "When once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward for there you have been and there you long to return" It's amazing how he can describe a feeling he never became familiar with. He was spot on after my first few jumps everyday the sky looks nice I look up wishing I was falling through the clouds.

psn=Stusiano

Those are sick dude

FuturePrimitive

Oh, I meant to mention that all of those guys who were trying to invent their own airplanes and be the first to fly had a pair of big clanging steel cannonballs in their trousers.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

While on the topic of early aviation,I'll tell you some true stories of flight,starting off with...

Eilmer of Malmesbury,the flying monk

Eilmer was a monk in the 11th century who would be known as the monk who flew.In his youth,he read the Greek fable Daedalus which would latter be an inspiration for him.On the day of his flight,he fixed wings on his arms and launched himself from a tower at Malmesbury Abbey.He reportedly flew for more than 201 meters but went out of control,and broke both legs which made him limp for life.Eilmer latter said that the cause of his crash was that he forgot to add a tail.

next...

Jan Wnek

Jan Wnek was a Polish peasant and carpenter,he was also illiterate but known to very intelligent.He self taught himself about flight by studying and observing birds in flight.He realized that birds used air currents to climb to the air.He spent some time studying a dead ducks wing and observed live birds on how they manage their wings and tail for controlled flight.He then built a glider (named Loty,Polish for flyer) after several months work which was made from ash wood and covered with linen coated with varnish.Wnek strapped himself firmly in his glider by the hips and chest and controlled himself by twisting the trailing edge of the wings via stirups attached to his feet.

After several flights, some adjustments and learning his glider behavior, Wnęk felt confident enough to ask for authorization from the Odporyszow village church priest,Stanisław Morgenstern,to build a special ramp on top of the church tower to launch from. The tower stood 45 m high and was located on top of a 50 m hill, making a 95 m (311 ft) high launch above the valley below.

On late June 1866, Wnęk timed his big flight to coincide with an upcoming Pentecost church celebration. It is reported that huge crowds came to church celebrations and also to purchase goods from shops and nearby town markets. The summer breeze must have been perfect as he launched for a flawless flight of substantial distance,probably aided by a prevailing thermal updraft,quoted as 1800 meters (about 1 mile).

He made several public flights between 1866 through 1869 and in many religious festivals.Sadly,one of his flights ended in tragedy from a fall and died a few weeks latter at age 41.His flights were 25 years prior to Otto Lilienthal's famed glider flights.

Gravity Slave Moderator

The Flying Nun was real too..

Gnar Shreddage!

you're gay
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCK View Post
    STG is the punch of real life through your cyber teeth

Boss

^ your a pussy,
    I've thought about getting into aviation as a hobby of some sort.
    Beastly.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

Supreme Member

why do all old tv/radio have a guy with the same hi pitch(or something) voice!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by McCrank View Post
    why do all old tv/radio have a guy with the same hi pitch(or something) voice!?!?
    I guess the sound processed from the camera or mic makes the voice sound different (like taking through a phone sort of),thats my guess.I think the recordings ran in a certain speed which made the speaking persons voice different.

Tommorow I will show more flying machines and tell more stories.