best camcorder for filming? (detailed)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best camcorder for filming? (detailed)

Default best camcorder for filming? (detailed)

looking for a upgrade and can't decide on which camcorder to get. I'm willing to spend $1500 (maybe more) on it. pretty much went through every model (vx's, dvx, gl2) and heaps more, but i can't decide so some help would be sweet.

DJyoyoLilDyls

flip video camera.

real helpful.

i mean vx2000 sounds good im pretty sure its hd too soo ur good home slice
    or maybe get a cannon 550D

Get into the dslr game dude. With 1500 you can get an awesome t2i setup.

dude u have sooo much choices lmao
    right now im using a cannon vixia hf20 with fisheye

Mannn, I would try a HDR-fx1 or a AG-DVC30... both look pretty sexy.
    50-50 old school kickflip.

[X]Spring Edit - http://vimeo.com/4321983
    [X]Summer Edit - http://vimeo.com/10379078
    [ ]Fall Edit
    [ ]Winter Edit

http://www.youtube.com/user/Eleventytwoo

click to show

яussian

I'd get a panasonic or sony, but I would stray away from DSLRs. Camcorders are so much better for actual filming. They have a form factor dedicated to filming, not photography. You won't have to hold it awkwardly, and camcorders (especially in the $1500 range) have so many features that a DSLR won't. Rolling shutter is also really really really noticeable on most DSLRs. And when you change the f-stop, it's not fluid. There are lots of issues with filming with a DSLR.

Retired Staff

You could get a good DSLR set up with 1500. If you want a camcorder you could save up a little bit more and get a hmc40, those are real nice. If you want to stick with sd... dvx would be your best bet for "detailed".

Quote Originally Posted by mrskatehigh View Post
    you probably shouldn't post in this section.

psn=Stusiano

Quote Originally Posted by mrskatehigh View Post
    lol.
    But, you can get a pretty good dslr setup, like a t2i would be good

alright I narrowed it down a bit now

t2i vs hmc40/dvx100b

Now this is basic filming (lines stationary etc.)

t2i looks nice, especially edited, but im worried if it would be to awkward, also if anyone could tell me if i could attach a opteka handle to it? that might help film lines easier

hmc40 i'm willing to go for. it's good with me other than it's not 3ccd, might not be good in low light

dvx100b looks great also, but might not be a good investment if hd takes off.

so... what would you do? haha.
    I live to drink Dr. pepper.

Default anyone interested?

I personally own a vx2100 with the century optics(now schneider optics) .3x fisheye and the 16:9 anamorphic lenses.

The VX2100 is NOT HD. It's SD. But still looks amazing when set up correctly for whatever conditions you are in. As far as low light with the VX2100, night spots are of no concern to me when i have this guy with me.

I've also used the DVX100b a lot too for short film work and skateboarding. The price is a bit higher but the quality is top notch. Also not HD but it's "film look" is superb if you are looking to branch out and not just shoot skateboarding footage.

If you are interested i am actually looking to sell my VX2100 kit with lenses, the case made for the camera, and all the accessories and cables with it. Everything is in near to mint condition.

psn=Stusiano

If you get a t2i, it would be really weird on an opteka handle. Should look into the eazy handle. So much better for dslrs

Retired Staff

You can put it on an opteka handle but they aren't that stable. Your best bet would be to buy something else or make your own. dvx is a great camera but hd has already taken off for the most part and if you plan to upgrade in the future you wont get close to what you paid for it if you try to re sell. They go for dirt cheap now. hmc40 footage and t2i footage is almost identical. Fisheye footage is way sharper on dslr's than on a regular camcorder.

alright iv'e decided on the canon 60d, Didn't even think of a dslr. thanks guys
    I live to drink Dr. pepper.

we do a combo of multiple gopro heros and a canon 7d

depeneds on how you're hoping the look will turn out,
    sounds like you want a nice quality HD handy cam
    high frame rate like 35-40 if not more, (your slow-mo will look sick this way)
    and with a detachable lens thread so you can stick on a fish eye lens, or similar adapter,
    or at least a wide angle
    xxx

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by VSpongeComedy View Post
    depeneds on how you're hoping the look will turn out,
    sounds like you want a nice quality HD handy cam
    high frame rate like 35-40 if not more, (your slow-mo will look sick this way)
    and with a detachable lens thread so you can stick on a fish eye lens, or similar adapter,
    or at least a wide angle
    xxx
    well i hope nobody takes any of your advice in the filming section. yikes

well i hope nobody takes any of your advice in the filming section. yikes
    well i think it's better advice than most people, telling the poor guy to use a dslr,
    which if done properly, would give him a sick texture (granted) and a pretty sexy depth of field, but it's going to need a stabliser on it to get any sort of half decent footage. So by now he's already spent a ton on what's essentially a huge sensor and a decent lens, and he's probably going to want a fish eye or a wide angle adapter on it, so the money on the lens was near enough pointless now. That's before you get into the issues of actually capturing the footage, he's gonna want a class 10 card in there for any sort of decent image, so he's gonna then need to buy a bunch of cards so he doesn't fill up on half an hours worth of footage. He's gonna do much better with something like an HDR SR7E which has an integral 60gb hard drive that he can stick a lens adapter on, than messing around spending thousands on a stills camera, practically vomiting hdsc cards, just to then flick it over to filming mode, and probably drop it's fragile a** down some mini ramp. The guy wants a decent camcorder to film some skating. He doesn't want to upload videos of himself focus pulling through the different flowers in his mums garden and call himself a filmaker.

Retired Staff

I was saying that because a "high frame rate like 35-40 if not more" statement is just dumb. Cameras don't come with a frame rate of 35 or 40.... you can get 24p 30p 60i 60p, even in england its like 25p and 50p and what not...
    detachable lens thread doesn't really make any sense but i understood where you were going with it..

Also, class 10 sd cards aren't that expensive.. a 16gb card is around 27 dollars and you can keep re-using them after you fill it up. With tapes you have to keep re-buying them. hard drive cameras are no good, you referred to dslr's as "fragile ass" ... if you drop a harddrive camera down anything it has a real good chance of cracking the harddrive. He said he was willing to spend 1500 or more on a setup so why not get the bets looking footage you can with that. You can get a handle/rig for a dslr from as low as 20 dollars. dslr's have the most crisp footage and you don't have to buy ridiculously expensive lenses to still get amazing quality. just because you people use them to get "artsy" doesn't mean you have to have footage of you filming your moms garden, gtfo of here dude.