New Skateboarder - how should I choose a deck?

Thread: New Skateboarder - how should I choose a deck?

Default New Skateboarder - how should I choose a deck?

I've been longboarding for about 7 years, but since I used my friends skateboard I've really wanted to learn how to try.

Only problem is I don't want to pick up a piece of crap that snaps in half the first day, or just doesn't feel perfect to learn on... you know? Or that the trucks feel like they could snap any minute.

So any tips you guys can give me on how to buy a quality skateboard?
    [CENTER][IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196717_175241652522897_100001111910991_385868_7508104_n.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Nameless

just head down to your local skateshop (zumiez doesn't count) and ask the dudes there for
    some help. anything sold in a skater run shop will be fine to learn on and will last you a fair while.
    The last man on earth was sitting in his living room when he heard a knock at the door...

^^That. Anything in a skate shop is legit. I wouldn't get the thinnest board either. It doesn't need to be a boat but I wouldn't get like a 7.5 because it would feel super unsteady after leaving a long board Maybe 8" range would be a good place to start

Okay thanks, I know one place that might be good... I hope there's actually a cool person working that I can trust the intentions of.

Okay I'll watch out for the width, because I have size 12 feet.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/196717_175241652522897_100001111910991_385868_7508104_n.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Yeah dude you might get a thin one and like it I dunno. I wear 12 and ride an 8 so man just check it out

Blanks are the best when you first start skating IMO. The shape doesn't matter until you develop board control anyhow

Don't go the Walmart route.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    just head down to your local skateshop (zumiez doesn't count) and ask the dudes there for
    some help. anything sold in a skater run shop will be fine to learn on and will last you a fair while.
    why dosent zumiez count? hahaha XD

Quote Originally Posted by Dom2Sick View Post
    why dosent zumiez count? hahaha XD
    Because Zumiez is a corporate, money sucking industry. They don't really care about skateboarding, they support more the image. Your local skate shop (should be) more about the skating spirit.

But then again, so is CCS and Sun Diego and Active.

Retired Staff

Zumies is like the wal-mart of skating without the price. Active is like target an slightly less evil.

The Zumies by me aren't that bad to be honest. The people here usually are skaters and I had good spergout chats with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Coming from a longboard you won't want any lag. Make sure you get some tight bearings with it. May I suggest a set of Bones Reds? They are unbelievable for their price.

Yeah, like everyone else says, go hit a skateshop and find out hands on what you think is best and get some advice before you buy. In time you'll know how you like to set up and internet shopping will be no problem if you ever choose to do it that way.