ollie help
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: ollie help

  1. #1
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default ollie help

    enjoy longboarding a lot, but just getting into street skating.

    no one really skates here, so i need some help ironing out my ollie if you guys wouldn't mind taking a glance at this reel of ****ty ollies.

    i think my biggest problem from watching the video is that i'm not sliding my front foot over and leveling out the board. and when i do slide it over, it seems i'm sliding too late.

    anyway, any advice on what i'm doing wrong would help, as well as advice on how to fix it. i really want to be able to have a nice, functional ollie.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqVlQDhzao
    Last edited by 420Ripper; 07-23-2011 at 12:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Active Member Independent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    185

    Default

    You are doing ollies. The trick to leveling it out is you don't just jump with your front foot but but level it out by moving your front foot forward at the top of the ollie. Boned ollies aka huge ollies is the same except you over do it at the top of the Ollie where it's like a karate flying side kick, they are harder I'm trying to learn those but it's hard cuz the board gets in front of you. That's over doing it but that's the way to do decent or huge ollies depending on how much you move your front foot forward.

    Tip for kickflips is you start by ollieing off the side of the board then flick down real hard. I imagine people mess up by not knowing the last part.
    "i dream therefore i am not"

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    JC TN
    Age
    35
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Dude you got it just do those alot and one day for some reason one will suck up to your feet cleanly. It won't happen fast for most people but when it does it is the best feeling in the world. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it, but I would seriously try to learn them moving if you aren't already because it is alot easier to get that out of the way early as opposed to learning them stationary for so long that once you start moving it feels like a completely different trick..I did that, and it sucked

  4. #4
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    You are doing ollies. The trick to leveling it out is you don't just jump with your front foot but but level it out by moving your front foot forward at the top of the ollie. Boned ollies aka huge ollies is the same except you over do it at the top of the Ollie where it's like a karate flying side kick, they are harder I'm trying to learn those but it's hard cuz the board gets in front of you. That's over doing it but that's the way to do decent or huge ollies depending on how much you move your front foot forward.

    Tip for kickflips is you start by ollieing off the side of the board then flick down real hard. I imagine people mess up by not knowing the last part.
    i'm having trouble sliding my foot forward at the right time, it's taking a lot of focus. i always do it too late somehow. any thoughts on that?


    Quote Originally Posted by chedwerks View Post
    Dude you got it just do those alot and one day for some reason one will suck up to your feet cleanly. It won't happen fast for most people but when it does it is the best feeling in the world. Just a suggestion, take it or leave it, but I would seriously try to learn them moving if you aren't already because it is alot easier to get that out of the way early as opposed to learning them stationary for so long that once you start moving it feels like a completely different trick..I did that, and it sucked
    a lot of people have told me i should learn them moving so i'll start doing that. the problem right now is that i'm not even sure my technique is down enough to really know what i'm doing, so i figured i'd iron it out stationary, but since a lot of people are telling me i should do them moving, i'll start that today.

    skating is so addictive and fun. i'm definitely putting a lot of days into this ollie, i'm waiting for that moment when it comes up clean.

    thanks for the advice and encouragement.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    JC TN
    Age
    35
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Maybe try to think of it as one thing instead of 'snap the board THEN slide my foot THEN jump THEN land. It all happens so fast..but your vid looks like your timing is fine, you really just look like any new skater trying to ollie. If you are having fun it will happen, trust me on that

  6. #6
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default

    okay cool thanks man!
    i'm going to try to keep hacking away at it.
    i love skating so much. i've always longboarded, but i had no idea how much fun i was missing out on by not street skating. it just feels like i can give the board a lot more abuse and really get my frustrations out by skating every day. nothing clears my head like taking a bong rip and then going out to skate.

  7. #7
    FuturePrimitive
    Noj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burbank, California
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,456

    Default

    Don't waste too much time with that standing still nonsense. Roll. Learn to ollie up a curb. It will teach you all of the basics in one task.


    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

    Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

  8. #8
    Active Member Independent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    39
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Its more like you slightly move your front foot forward throughout the jump instead of jumping straight up or just moving it at the top. It should be one natural movemement. It will take time for it to feel natural. It takes 5 weeks to get your central nervous system adapted to a new movement.
    "i dream therefore i am not"

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    chester
    Age
    35
    Posts
    120

    Default

    you've got a bit of a strange arm/upper body movement going on there. however, that'll work itself out as you practice i think.

    the Pop aspect looks fine, but your front foot appears either not to slide enough to level the board or to does it very late, most people say to do it as "pop, lift, slide, land" in seperate stages but i fond it easier to do if i try to make it one smooth motion.

    right now they're not too bad, unlike a lot of people who are just learning ollies the board is coming off the ground and has a bit of height on the back truck, so just keep practising it. oh and it'll help you later on if you start doing them rolling asap. your weight etc is slightly different when rolling and it can take a lot of effort to change it if you get too used to stationary ollies.

  10. #10
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noj View Post
    Don't waste too much time with that standing still nonsense. Roll. Learn to ollie up a curb. It will teach you all of the basics in one task.
    okay, cool, definitely going to start doing that. everyone keeps saying it's a must to learn rolling. i'm convinced now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    Its more like you slightly move your front foot forward throughout the jump instead of jumping straight up or just moving it at the top. It should be one natural movemement. It will take time for it to feel natural. It takes 5 weeks to get your central nervous system adapted to a new movement.
    okay, got it, so i should try to focus on moving the front foot the whole way through in one continuous movement.

    Quote Originally Posted by scarr View Post
    you've got a bit of a strange arm/upper body movement going on there. however, that'll work itself out as you practice i think.

    the Pop aspect looks fine, but your front foot appears either not to slide enough to level the board or to does it very late, most people say to do it as "pop, lift, slide, land" in seperate stages but i fond it easier to do if i try to make it one smooth motion.

    right now they're not too bad, unlike a lot of people who are just learning ollies the board is coming off the ground and has a bit of height on the back truck, so just keep practising it. oh and it'll help you later on if you start doing them rolling asap. your weight etc is slightly different when rolling and it can take a lot of effort to change it if you get too used to stationary ollies.
    okay, cool i'm really trying to work on that front foot, this is good feedback for helping me work this out. i'm definitely going to be doing them rolling from now on, too.

    i think what everyone is saying is like, "keep at it, this **** doesn't come overnight for most people, so just keep plugging away at it until it comes." i'm having a really good time skating, so even if it takes a year lol i'm okay with that. i'm just really looking forward to the day that i can pop an ollie up onto a curb fluidly.

    this gives me a lot of encouragement to keep going. i really wish i had some skater friends to chill with. i feel like my skating would improve faster that way, and i also miss skater culture. none of my friends want to climb roofs with me or skate or prank each other or anything like that.

  11. #11
    angry, young & beautiful
    HighVoltageSk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    you got it pretty much, just need more practice. also always learn tricks rolling, then you won't learn it stationary and go to try it rolling and have to relearn it. also for when you are rotating a bit, make sure you get your shoulders squared to keep straight. good luck
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

  12. #12
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    Its more like you slightly move your front foot forward throughout the jump instead of jumping straight up or just moving it at the top. It should be one natural movemement. It will take time for it to feel natural. It takes 5 weeks to get your central nervous system adapted to a new movement.
    alright, so i ended up going out today for a few hours and practicing them rolling. it was really difficult for the first hour: i knew what i had to do, but my legs just wouldn't do it, probably out of a subconscious fear of busting my ass. i kept chicken footing it and then doing the splits at first. also, it was hard getting used to the ollie stance riding, and i felt really off balance at first.

    however, after a while i zoned out to my music and it started to click without me even really realizing what i was doing. i'm definitely not popping it as hard as i did when i was practicing them stationary, but i'm still trying to get used to landing clean. i could definitely feel myself making progress, and i tried to think about the comments everyone made.

    thanks for the help dudes. i'm going to call it a day and burn one down.

  13. #13
    Active Member ramos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Age
    34
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Two pieces of advice:

    1. When doing ollies in motion, try to move your front foot closer to the front bolts. I noticed your stationary ollies sometimes moved 45 degrees in a certain direction. Doing that moving, will be an instant fail and or bail. Moving your foot up, will give you more stability and control (but less height).

    2. Stop with the references to your weed smoking. They serve no purpose in a skateboarding forum.

    Good luck with the ollies.

  14. #14
    Towlie Says
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramos View Post
    Two pieces of advice:

    1. When doing ollies in motion, try to move your front foot closer to the front bolts. I noticed your stationary ollies sometimes moved 45 degrees in a certain direction. Doing that moving, will be an instant fail and or bail. Moving your foot up, will give you more stability and control (but less height).

    2. Stop with the references to your weed smoking. They serve no purpose in a skateboarding forum.

    Good luck with the ollies.
    hey thanks for the help man. i'll burn one to that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •