Interesting experiment in neurology

Thread: Interesting experiment in neurology

Default Interesting experiment in neurology

I just finished reading this book called "Soul Dust" (really good read if you're into neurology and/or philosophy) and at one part the writer described a really cool experiment that was done that I figured I'd share:

So there's one person (We'll call him "person 1) sitting at a table with one arm on the table, palm up. They put a thing to block person 1's view of his hand. Then another person (person 2), sitting across from him, simultaneously rubs the hand that is out of view from person 1, and a spot on the table that person 1 can see. And person 1 claims that he feels the sensation of being rubbed coming from that spot on the table rather than his hand! What's more, it was done with countless people and the results were almost always the same!

The brain is a strange thing...There have even been accounts of people who have lost limbs getting an itch or something where their old limbs used to be!

So I guess, as it turns out, sensation occurs almost completely in our minds.

Huh. That's weird.

Supreme Member

seen something similiar with the same setup only there is a rubber hand and the "arm" is covered in a blanket so it looks like person 1's hand. person 2 rubs both person 1's hidden hand and the plastic hand at the same time until the brain thinks the rubber hand is the real hand. then person 2 hits the rubber hand with a hammer and person 1 gets a shock, no pain though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotMoon147 View Post
    So I guess, as it turns out, sensation occurs almost completely in our minds.
    Your thinking of perception, sensation is usually defined as the actual stimulation of the actual receptor cells of a particular sense. Perception is how the brain interprets those particular stimulations.

I have to try this on my friends.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by McCrank View Post
    seen something similiar with the same setup only there is a rubber hand and the "arm" is covered in a blanket so it looks like person 1's hand. person 2 rubs both person 1's hidden hand and the plastic hand at the same time until the brain thinks the rubber hand is the real hand. then person 2 hits the rubber hand with a hammer and person 1 gets a shock, no pain though.
    Hahaha! THIS is awesome.