Can building a box be done without...

Thread: Can building a box be done without...

Elite Member

Default Can building a box be done without...

Can building a grind box be done without a circular/jig saw and just a regular saw? I've decided to build a grind box using the following plans (thanks to my last thread debating between a qp and box, i chose box): http://www.diyskate.com/ledge_01.html

It seems like I'm going to be doing a lot of cutting, I'm not sure how expensive a circular saw or jig saw is but will I need one or can I use something else? If I need one, how much do they normally cost? Thanks guys.

LeftLaneClosed

I wouldn't use a regular saw, I got through a 2x4 a few times and I was ready to be done.

Try to maybe borrow one from a friend, or if you plan on building things after this, I'd buy one. I don't know what they cost though.

syrup sipper

I'm pretty sure you can rent pretty much any tool you want at a store like Home Depot. It's pretty cheap and the only thing you need is a jig saw.

That looks pretty similar to the the box I made. My only suggestion would be maybe make it a little bit wider. I ended up adding an even taller section on the left side and I put a strip of metal on top so it was basically a flat bar.

But yeah just get all your lumber together and draw the lines where it needs to be cut. You could easily do it in under an hour if you need to keep it cheap haha.
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

Speed Junkie

little known fact, you can get Home Depot to do all your cutting for you......you need to be polite and ask when they aren't busy (don't go in at noon on a weekend or before 10 during the week. Have all your lumber picked out and a list of what cuts you need listed on a card or other stiff paper. It may cost you $00.50 a cut after the first 2 cuts but t may not depending on how much of a PITA you make it. That said two tools than any "Man" should have are a good circular/skill saw and a good Jigsaw.
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

syrup sipper

^Yeah that's true but I prefer to do everything myself just so I can double and triple check my measurements. And that's very true haha, I've used my jigsaw for so many other projects.
    Back 3 kickflip?

Speed Junkie

The only thing I usually have cut is square dimensions of plywood because a panel saw is much more accurate than I am with a clamps and a square but when I worked at Home Depot I used to do a lot cutting of people projects....sorta like a sous chef of carpentry

Scrubs Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    ^Yeah that's true but I prefer to do everything myself just so I can double and triple check my measurements. And that's very true haha, I've used my jigsaw for so many other projects.

syrup sipper

WE'LL HAVE SO MUCH MORE ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!
    Back 3 kickflip?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    little known fact, you can get Home Depot to do all your cutting for you......you need to be polite and ask when they aren't busy (don't go in at noon on a weekend or before 10 during the week. Have all your lumber picked out and a list of what cuts you need listed on a card or other stiff paper. It may cost you $00.50 a cut after the first 2 cuts but t may not depending on how much of a PITA you make it. That said two tools than any "Man" should have are a good circular/skill saw and a good Jigsaw.
    Lowes also gives two free cuts on plywood. They'll done more when asked nicely and if you are willing to wait a little while. I don't know about a whole cut list for a giant project, but a few 2x4s and two sheets of plywood for a box is probably within reason. It will be easier to transport cut too.

Speed Junkie

yeah it really depended on how bored we were....if there was nothing going on (like a rainy day) I had no problems cutting someone's project....the big thing is transportation if you put that into your request it helps convince the sales associate to cut for you

syrup sipper

Haha I cut and built an entire miniramp in my garage. The biggest PITA was definitely transporting about 300 bucks worth of lumber and screws. It was a pretty fun project though and it turned out pretty well considering I pretty much made up the plans as I went along haha.
    Back 3 kickflip?

Speed Junkie

I designed a garage mini for a guy who was building it for his sons birthday.....the nice thing was when it was done I was invited to the adults opening the night before the big day. I still occasionally skate it when the weather is crapsville

Elite Member

Went to home depot, customer service was crap, no one helped me pick out lumber. I asked the customer service desk for help like 3 times, wasted half an hour of my life. So I went to a local lumber yard, paid a little extra for everything, they cut it all up for free. I have the box built, looks nice. All I have to do now is get angle iron and put that on. Home Depot didn't have the size I needed nor the price i was looking for, 50 bucks is too much for an angle iron in my opinion...

Speed Junkie

Bummer on the Home Depot some of them truly suck. if there is a Tractor supply near you they often have weldable metal

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    Bummer on the Home Depot some of them truly suck. if there is a Tractor supply near you they often have weldable metal
    Yeah I think its just my home depot. They have this gigantic warehouse with all of this stuff but like 3-4 people working at a time. I don't trust myself when it comes to building things so I needed help too haha.

Speed Junkie

My uncle live between 2 HD's in Jersey...one is good the other is horrible sadly for him he works closer to the bad one

Elite Member

Yeah that does suck. I mean the one close to me, if I knew everything there was to construction and lumber, etc. then it would be great because they have everything (ironically except angle irons the size I need) but I need help and they can't provide that so be it. That's like half of what a store like that needs to offer. By any chance is one of those HD's the one in Freehold? Because that's where I was.

Speed Junkie

Got me all I know it that its someplace around Netkong (sp)

Elite Member

No where near me haha