Official Longboarding Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Longboarding Thread

blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    you want a freeride board....Deck length isn't as important as wheelbase which should be in the range of 30-32", truth is my freeride board has the longest WB of my gravity exploiting boards but that is just one factor in what makes a good board. You have a choice of Top mount, drop, drop through or double drop....all have their advantages.

As for slide gloves, you don't need them if you can stand up slide at will, personally I can't so I wear slide gloves most of the time.......
    Is sliding on long boards like powersliding on normal skateboards? If so than I guess I wont need gloves. Oh and what does a free ride deck look like?

Speed Junkie

yes and no.....with soft wheels you have to be going faster and be more committed to a slide on a longboard. Gloves are cheap insurance, I've made all of mine over the years. you can't run out a bail at +30mph but you can put your hands down and slide to prevent a bail

two examples of freeride boards. the blue board is a Rocker'd dropthough the natural wood is a double drop. both are great pushers and fun for non race downhill

that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Reo, check out the first post in the thread, 2nd update, if you want to know how to make some slide gloves cheap and easy, they're what I'm using right now. And for a little more slide info, watch the video under "Sliding". That's technical sliding, though. You can just do toeside slides and throw your hands down to stop.

And thanks Xgecko for directing me towards the board!

I updated the thread's first post last night everyone, with an incomplete list of board companies and truck companies. I'll do wheels at some point today.

Edit: I also put up a new videos under the dancing and long distance categories.
    Last edited by TGIMUNDAY; 08-25-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Speed Junkie

Default Slide Gloves

Like a helmet (not gonna get into a discussion about helmets here the speeds achieved by beginners on longboards are 3-4 times that of normal street or park skating) slide gloves are a required part of any longboarders gear. I've never bought slide gloves as I have never seen a pair that I couldn't make myself and probably better. That said if building your own seems too much Loaded, Timeship Racing, Rayne and my personal choice Landyatchz all make exceptional gloves.

Creating your own is easy enough
    Leather work gloves that fit well (you are going to be wearing these a lot if they are too loose they won't work, too tight and they are uncomfortable)
    Industrial Velcro, the Sticky kind can be ordered with most pucks
    Pucks, I use Black Velvet but Phat Deanz and ASL also make nice pucks that last (good for replacing pucks on store bought slide gloves) Many people use Cutting board or Corian for pucks both are options but neither slides as well as a UHMW puck and you don't want the added drag either provides
    Tool dip for reinforcing the finger tips
    Contact Cement, (Dap red label) to put every thing together
    Clamps or a heavy weight

I prep my gloves by giving the palm a few coats of contact cement as well as the sticky velcro to increase the bond (you are going to be putting your hand down at +40 mph having a puck come off is baaaaad) once there is a nice layer I attach the velcro the glove using the puck and clamp (you can use a heavy weight) and leave to 8-10 hours. Carefully remove the puck from the glove separating the velcro and check to make sure all the edges have bonded well....repair with contact cement as needed. once that is done I dip the finger tips in Plastidip so that neither my board nor the ocasional drag will ruin my gloves (repeating as necessary)

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Haha, Xgecko's slide glove making guide blew mine out of the water.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    Haha, Xgecko's slide glove making guide blew mine out of the water.
    I've made a few sets those square pucks have outlived 4 sets of gloves. which is the big reason I use leather Roper style gloves now

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Updated the original post with some wheel companies and the links to their websites, enjoy.

I've got an old sector 9 cloud nine that I've had for years. It doesn't get ridden very often anymore. Just a quick question, I know I'm gonna get verbally assaulted. How do you keep your decks so clean and spotless? Do you ride them? I have a board and I'm not even out of the parking lot and its got a spot from a noseslide or whatever.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
    I've got an old sector 9 cloud nine that I've had for years. It doesn't get ridden very often anymore. Just a quick question, I know I'm gonna get verbally assaulted. How do you keep your decks so clean and spotless? Do you ride them? I have a board and I'm not even out of the parking lot and its got a spot from a noseslide or whatever.
    In Xgecko's pictures you can see some nicks out of the wood, in my picture (the green board with the stickers and the purple on with a flying spaghetti monster on it) it's dark, so you can't really see the damage, but the nose and tail are decently chipped on the purple one (the nose and tail both just out forward, so the bottom side of the nose is undamaged). The green board doesn't get ridden often, because it's for people when they want to skate with me (been used twice, tops.) I take very good care of my board, I chase it down if I fall off and it's heading towards a curb and I keep it from getting wet (due to comet using a water soluble glue to hold the plies together, pretty dumb idea...) and I clean off anything that might get on it. My grip is in decent shape as well. And why would you try nose sliding a pintail? Haha

Sorry for the long post.

Edit: Look at the bottom trucks in the picture of my boards and you can somewhat make out damage on the trucks, as well. It just didn't show up with my phones camera.

I guess I just cant have nice things...lol.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

I guess I just cant have nice things...lol.
    Haha, maybe.

Speed Junkie

most of the pictures of my boards are when I first set them up...once they get wear and tear I don't usually take pictures. though some boards show wear more than others

LET'S GET WEIRD

Out of the 11 years of skateboarding, I can't believe that I now finally want to pick up a longboard. Haha. Should of looked into this a while ago. Better late then never I guess. This thread is definitely going to be useful.

Now for those gloves....., those are only needed to wear if you're bombing some steep hills with lots of turns, right? I just don't seem like I would need them just to cruise the streets of Chicago.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    Out of the 11 years of skateboarding, I can't believe that I now finally want to pick up a longboard. Haha. Should of looked into this a while ago. Better late then never I guess. This thread is definitely going to be useful.

Now for those gloves....., those are only needed to wear if you're bombing some steep hills with lots of turns, right? I just don't seem like I would need them just to cruise the streets of Chicago.
    You probably wouldn't, but it's great insurance if there are any steep runs on the way to your destination, or if you're not good at foot braking/ stand up slides. I always have mine in my backpack, just in case.

Speed Junkie

I wear gloves most of the time. Sliding is one of my primary stopping methods and I prefer to keep my hands safe

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Monday is the big day, I'm going to order my new board and I'm going to wait incredibly impatiently for it. Week after that I'm going to order my trucks and maybe my wheels too. Awwww yiiih.

Wish I could get that sweet bacon color, but oh well.

Speed Junkie

I'm probabaly sk8ing with the owner of that Bacon board tomorrow

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    I'm probabaly sk8ing with the owner of that Bacon board tomorrow
    Haha, awesome. That's one of the first pics that comes up searching "Clutch Jerk" on Google. The first pic is yours.

Default 1977 targa 70 mm contact surface, 64 mm diameter wheels

Hello, Im looking to buy a good set of targa wheels. Very wide wheel 70 mm width. Any leads?.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Honestly, your best bet would be ebay. This site is mostly shortboarders around my age and younger.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/

Try joining up here and asking for help, they have a buy and sell section, I believe.