Guys, please wear your helmets more often.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys, please wear your helmets more often.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Default Guys, please wear your helmets more often.

I went skating yesterday, had my helmet on, as usual, but then I met up with a friend who doesn't really skate. I taught him the ropes, we did a few tiny hills, and the day was winding down. I decided to show him the hill I was hitting (partially, it's too big a hill for me.) He decided he would go down to "test it out", I told him not to, he said it would be fine then proceeded to say jokingly "Life's about taking risks!" He set off down the hill, I yelled to him "HEY, JUMP OFF!" and he disappeared around the corner. I set off after him, butt boarding down. Every corner I took I expected to see him lying on the ground, or standing up checking himself for injuries, no sign. I got nervous. I approach the bottom of the hill and I see somebody standing over something, I thought it was him. Standing over the board checking himself for injuries. It wasn't. I got down and somebody was standing over him, he was lying there bleeding from his head, his arms, his back, everything. We told him not to move, the cops came, spoke to him and kept him awake. Paramedics arrived and took him to the local hospital, where he was then airlifted to another hospital a few towns over. Just got some information. He's in critical condition in the head trauma unit and might be there a few weeks.

Everyone. Where your helmets. I wish he had taken mine, even if he was, like he said, only testing the hill. I plan on buying a second helmet, for anyone who wants to skate with me, I feel awful for this happening on my board, with me there to stop him.

Edit: I also posted this story on Silverfish, if anybody sees it and was wondering, I am DrSkaCtopus over there.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

LeftLaneClosed

That's terrible. I usually just go to skate parks, but I always wear my helmet.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by RockenPunk View Post
    That's terrible. I usually just go to skate parks, but I always wear my helmet.
    Good job! I usually don't wear mine when I'm doing flatground, but from the horror stories I have heard and the one I experienced yesterday I'm trying to make it a point to wear mine more.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Same, When I'm out and about just chillin' with my board I don't wear pads but if I'm goin' to the park to try something big I'd normally throw the helmet in the back. Might start wearing it more though after this.

Skaters gonna skate
    Youtube ftw!!! http://www.youtube.com/user/someirishskater

[] = not yet
    [/] = sometimes/landed once
    [X] = got it

[X] FS/BS 180 [X] pop-shuvit [X] 3 Stair
    [x] Ollie [/] Kickflip (feels good to finally change that) [] Heelflip

Chillin'

Sorry to hear that. Sounds awful. Now I am even more convinced that it's a good thing my friend will give me his old helmet when he is back from his holidays.
    It realy sucks when beginners don't understand how dangerous skating can be.
    Best wishes to your friend that he is gonna be ok soon.

Gravity Slave Moderator

TGIM;

As hard as it might be this isn't your fault. You tried to warn him best you could. It really sounds like he should have bailed long before he lost control. I can definitely see the need for a required helmet rule when loaning your board.

If I'm skating faster than I can run and bail the helmet is on. If I'm hitting park features or trying tricks that are more complex than walking or say, playing basketball then the helmet is on. I would definitely recommend skid lids for all beginners always be it skating, skiing, snowboarding, etc. I'd also recommend helmets for pros if they are doing anything more complex than running on pavement.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    TGIM;

As hard as it might be this isn't your fault. You tried to warn him best you could. It really sounds like he should have bailed long before he lost control. I can definitely see the need for a required helmet rule when loaning your board.

If I'm skating faster than I can run and bail the helmet is on. If I'm hitting park features or trying tricks that are more complex than walking or say, playing basketball then the helmet is on. I would definitely recommend skid lids for all beginners always be it skating, skiing, snowboarding, etc. I'd also recommend helmets for pros if they are doing anything more complex than running on pavement.
    Thanks, man. People keep telling me it's not my fault, but I still feel like I have a responsibility after the fact to try and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm ordering a second helmet soon.

Sail Hatan.

That's terrible, but it was his fault. Still not wearing a helmet.

Elite Member

I wear a helmet, a graduate from my high school is brain dead and has been on life support the past few years because he didn't.

My goodness, that's awful...really hope he's able to make a full recovery.

Hopefully everyone that hears this takes away the important lesson, too: no matter how "lame" or "nerdy" a helmet and pads may look, in the end its your safety that matters most, and not how you look. I personally wear a helmet all the time when I skate, and I hope that me wearing mine will make a good impact on other people, especially younger kids, that see me skate. It's really depressing when you hear a story like this where the injuries could've been significantly reduced by the use of a helment and pads (definitely not saying it's your fault, bro; it's not). Just hope he turns out OK, and I'ma definitely pray for him, if that means anything to you.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJinkins View Post
    My goodness, that's awful...really hope he's able to make a full recovery.

Hopefully everyone that hears this takes away the important lesson, too: no matter how "lame" or "nerdy" a helmet and pads may look, in the end its your safety that matters most, and not how you look. I personally wear a helmet all the time when I skate, and I hope that me wearing mine will make a good impact on other people, especially younger kids, that see me skate. It's really depressing when you hear a story like this where the injuries could've been significantly reduced by the use of a helment and pads (definitely not saying it's your fault, bro; it's not). Just hope he turns out OK, and I'ma definitely pray for him, if that means anything to you.
    Means a lot, thanks! And keep wearing that helmet, I personally don't think they look all that bad. Triple 8 makes some great looking helmets.

i wear a helmet when doing big stair sets, gaps and stuff.

i purchased a new Pro Tec Bucky Lasek model a couple days ago.

but i just want to point out that wearing a helmet doesnt make you 'nerdy or lame', theres this guy at my local skatepark who can totally shred, double kickflips and stuff. And he wears this awesome pimped-out helmet covered in stickers. I have a huge amount of respect for that guy,
    Last edited by TONY!; 09-19-2011 at 11:25 PM.

i think it might be time for me to invest in a new helmet, mine's too small. saw a bmxer fall and hit the back of his head at the park yesterday, he was fine, but it's still scary

tl;dr emulate Tony Hawk.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    That's terrible, but it was his fault. Still not wearing a helmet.
    Hence why I'm saying people should wear helmets more often.

i have one, but it looks gay.... im gonna go buy an actual skate helmet, not a mountain biking helmet.

anybody who thinks wearing your helmet is for pusies is ignorant. my friend was tryign noseblunt pull in on the fence of the mini ramp at teh park and he fell backwards 15 feet straight to his head. He was in critical condition but he was left with massive bruises a fractured skull and two broken arms. wear yoru ****ing helmets ESPECIALLY if you arent good.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    anybody who thinks wearing your helmet is for pusies is ignorant. my friend was left with two broken arms.
    Helmet can't fix that.

psn=Stusiano

Yeah it could his skull wouldnt be fractured ^

But dude that sucks so much. Hope he's ok

are you ****ing stupid? he was left with massive bruises FRACTURED SKULL and two broken arms.