Speed of light broken
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 65

Thread: Speed of light broken

  1. #1
    good vibes
    Anonymous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,950

    Default Speed of light broken

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...cientists.html

    It was Albert Einstein, no less, who proposed more than 100 years ago that nothing could travel faster than the speed of light.

    But last night it emerged that the man who laid the foundations for the laws of nature may have been wrong.
    The science world was left in shock when workers at the world’s largest physics lab announced they had recorded subatomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light
    If the findings are proven to be accurate, they would overturn one of the pillars of the Standard Model of physics, which explains the way the universe and everything within it works.
    Einstein’s theory of special relativity, proposed in 1905, states that nothing in the universe can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. But researchers at the CERN lab near Geneva claim they have recorded neutrinos, a type of tiny particle, travelling faster than the barrier of 186,282 miles (299,792 kilometers) per second.
    The results have so astounded researchers that American and Japanese scientists have been asked to verify the results before they are confirmed as a discovery.

    Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the researchers, said: “We have high confidence in our results. We have checked and rechecked for anything that could have distorted our measurements but we found nothing.”
    Scientists agree if the results are confirmed, that it would force a fundamental rethink of the laws of physics.
    John Ellis, a theoretical physicist, said Einstein’s theory underlies “pretty much everything in modern physics”.


  2. #2
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    Damn that's crazy if it's true. It would literally change everything we thought we knew...
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  3. #3
    Retired Staff
    Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Califoreena
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Mass relays better happen now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

  4. #4
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    I wonder what happened to the mass of the neutrinos after they surpassed the speed of light. Relativity would dictate that it's mass vs velocity function has a vertical asymptote at c but that's clearly not the case.
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  5. #5
    good vibes
    Anonymous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    I think we're just learning more about neutrinos, we already don't know much about them. But, since we've discovered that they can break the speed of light, it's a huge deal. And I don't mean that sarcastically, it is a huge deal because our physics is based around general relativity. People have been saying, "everything I know is a lie now", but I think this is just another step closer to the truth and expanding our knowledge about the universe and how it works. No doubt we'll probably see some changes in our textbooks, but what we knew before this discover is now history (not in the sense that it will be overlooked now), we just keep learning more. And it's fantastic.


  6. #6
    Eats Babies duhstee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    MS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,592

    Default



    I'll take that time machine you owe me now, science. And a hearty club for the Morlocks.
    I like my boards like I like my women, big, loose, and fast.

  7. #7
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,550

    Default

    Speed of light broken and Einstein ain't around to fix it. LOL!

  8. #8
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,550

    Default



    Somewhere in Montana this man is getting an idea..

  9. #9
    Retired Staff
    Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Califoreena
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    To be fair, neutrinos were barely theorized or even looked at considering their nature.

    Edit: during Einstein's time
    Last edited by Donovan; 09-23-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

  10. #10
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Man View Post
    I think we're just learning more about neutrinos, we already don't know much about them. But, since we've discovered that they can break the speed of light, it's a huge deal. And I don't mean that sarcastically, it is a huge deal because our physics is based around general relativity. People have been saying, "everything I know is a lie now", but I think this is just another step closer to the truth and expanding our knowledge about the universe and how it works. No doubt we'll probably see some changes in our textbooks, but what we knew before this discover is now history (not in the sense that it will be overlooked now), we just keep learning more. And it's fantastic.
    No offense but this entire post is painfully obvious haha.
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  11. #11
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    And what type of neutrino was it? Inquiring minds need to know!
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  12. #12
    good vibes
    Anonymous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    No offense but this entire post is painfully obvious haha.
    Sorry man, I wish I could say more about the subject but to be honest, I don't have a complete grasp on all this. I understand enough but not enough details. I just get very excited when it comes to science and love it so all I could really do is express as much as I could on the subject without typing bs trying to act like I know what I'm talking about.

    Some day I'll be able to make quality posts on this board. But for now I'll try my best describing my feelings on the subject rather than facts on the subject. Seems like I'm best at that.


  13. #13
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Man View Post
    Sorry man, I wish I could say more about the subject but to be honest, I don't have a complete grasp on all this. I understand enough but not enough details. I just get very excited when it comes to science and love it so all I could really do is express as much as I could on the subject without typing bs trying to act like I know what I'm talking about.

    Some day I'll be able to make quality posts on this board. But for now I'll try my best describing my feelings on the subject rather than facts on the subject. Seems like I'm best at that.
    Quit whining about being ill informed. Isn't the whole point of this that NOBODY knows much about any of this stuff for certain. Something believed by most experts to be almost dead certain on the money was just obliterated! Or was it???


  14. #14
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    I'm gonna talk to my physics professor after my lab and see what he has to say about all this

    And Aman don't sweat it dude. I love being able to have discussions about stuff like this and i welcome any and all input. I'm just trying to encourage you to get better informed so you can more actively participate.
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  15. #15
    good vibes
    Anonymous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Quit whining about being ill informed. Isn't the whole point of this that NOBODY knows much about any of this stuff for certain. Something believed by most experts to be almost dead certain on the money was just obliterated! Or was it???

    Not whining, but I'm still new to this board and I guess I feel like that in the start I should explain that I am interested in science and I do learn as much as I can every day but compared to many members here who have some more knowledge and experience than me, I won't be completely capable of talking on their level until I do learn more.

    So I guess this post is kind of an introduction (I always feel the need to explain myself even if I don't have to, sorry for the off-topicness) to this board that I hope to become more active on.

    tl;dr: pretty much everything Baller suggested to me, I'm going to do.


  16. #16
    Dr. Ska-Ctopus
    TGIMUNDAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Man View Post
    Not whining, but I'm still new to this board and I guess I feel like that in the start I should explain that I am interested in science and I do learn as much as I can every day but compared to many members here who have some more knowledge and experience than me, I won't be completely capable of talking on their level until I do learn more.

    So I guess this post is kind of an introduction (I always feel the need to explain myself even if I don't have to, sorry for the off-topicness) to this board that I hope to become more active on.

    tl;dr: pretty much everything Baller suggested to me, I'm going to do.
    Welcome to the cafe... Haha
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.


  17. #17
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    Here's the elementary particles to get you started



    Edit: looking at this it would obviously be an electron neutrino.
    Last edited by Baller; 09-23-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  18. #18
    good vibes
    Anonymous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,950

    Default

    ^I would thank you but yeah lol, also must spread rep. I'm actually pleased that I do know some basics about the quarks, I had forgotten that I did.

    For now I can only post more information on the topic and hope that I can learn from the discussion.

    http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897

    Measurement of the neutrino velocity with the OPERA detector in the CNGS beam

    OPERA
    (Submitted on 22 Sep 2011)
    The OPERA neutrino experiment at the underground Gran Sasso Laboratory has measured the velocity of neutrinos from the CERN CNGS beam over a baseline of about 730 km with much higher accuracy than previous studies conducted with accelerator neutrinos. The measurement is based on high-statistics data taken by OPERA in the years 2009, 2010 and 2011. Dedicated upgrades of the CNGS timing system and of the OPERA detector, as well as a high precision geodesy campaign for the measurement of the neutrino baseline, allowed reaching comparable systematic and statistical accuracies. An early arrival time of CNGS muon neutrinos with respect to the one computed assuming the speed of light in vacuum of (60.7 \pm 6.9 (stat.) \pm 7.4 (sys.)) ns was measured. This anomaly corresponds to a relative difference of the muon neutrino velocity with respect to the speed of light (v-c)/c = (2.48 \pm 0.28 (stat.) \pm 0.30 (sys.)) \times 10-5.

    Subjects: High Energy Physics - Experiment (hep-ex)
    Cite as: arXiv:1109.4897v1 [hep-ex]


  19. #19
    syrup sipper
    Baller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,399

    Default

    ^Interesting, I wouldn't have expected them to use muon neutrinos since they are roughly 70,000 times the mass of an electron neutrino.
    Back 3 kickflip?

    I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

  20. #20
    Eats Babies duhstee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    MS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    I like my boards like I like my women, big, loose, and fast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •