Speed of light broken - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Speed of light broken

Retired Staff

I just like how they assumed that the mini blackholes would "grow in size" which is impossible if you just think about the fact that energy can't be created or destroyed. How would they get bigger? There's not even enough mass in our entire GALAXY to make an actual blackhole. I think Hawking even pointed out that any such thing would be gone in less than a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    I just like how they assumed that the mini blackholes would "grow in size" which is impossible if you just think about the fact that energy can't be created or destroyed. How would they get bigger? There's not even enough mass in our entire GALAXY to make an actual blackhole. I think Hawking even pointed out that any such thing would be gone in less than a second.
    I feel like if it's so small that you can't even SEE the event horizon, then it couldn't pose any threat and would pretty much disappear instantly. Collisions like in the LHC go on in the surrounding Universe all the time and nothing bad has happened, they just had to take the very off chance of a black hole forming (which wouldn't have done anything if it had) and blow it out of proportion into some news story to scare people against it. There was an episode of Bones where a guy was against it, by the way. He was only in the episode for a second, but his lines were enough to get me mad. Haha
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Gravity Slave Moderator

I remember a Pink Panther cartoon where he's vacuuming and the device goes crazy. It sucks up the curtains, furniture, etc. Then it sucks up the Pink Panther and then sucks itself up disappearing leaving just a blank screen The End.
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 02-22-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Not so fast: Scientists rethink stunning, faster-than-light particle finding

Yet a Thursday morning statement from CERN's OPERA team, the European science group that first reported the faster-than-light finding, noted that the faulty cable could have led to an undercalculation instead.

Neutrinos could move even faster than the speed of light than previously suggested, in other words.

"The optical fiber connector ... brings the external GPS signal to the OPERA master clock," explained the science lab, and it "may not have been functioning correctly when the measurements were taken. If this is the case, it could have led to an underestimate of the time of flight of the neutrinos."

A second issue with the study involves an oscillator used to provide the time stamps for the GPS synchronization. Flaws with that gadget may have led to an overestimate of speeds -- keeping neutrinos in line with Einstein's theories.
    Back to the drawing board. Tighten the cables and start over LOL!