Question to Parker's Mom: - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question to Parker's Mom:

I'm 36! Started at 33...but my inspiration was from a woman in her 40s who keeps a longboard in her car.

Seriously, I am not kidding!!!! Clearly you have a huge interest. Ignore the young kids (kinda like we are doing right now, haha). They were wicked intimidating to me too. Get a deck with big squishy wheels (some sort of cruiser or small long board) and just start rolling around. I can tell your interest in skating goes beyond your son, because of how often you post. Just do it! (And keep us informed, I think everyone in this forum whether they are willing to admit it or not, would love to hear about both Parker's AND your skating!)

Mindy

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Skating takes balls. And you coming onto a skateboard forum full of teenagers and asking for help with your son shows that you have those.

HAHA, I guess that's true. But I can't get too hurt typing on a keyboard. lol

Skating takes balls. And you coming onto a skateboard forum full of teenagers and asking for help with your son shows that you have those.
    Get it right Demon...not balls... fallopian tubes. She has fallopian tubes.

Sail Hatan.

Getting hurt is part of it. IT HELPS YOU LEARN. Oh ****, dont lean to far forward on a backside flip? yup, got it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
    I'm 36! Started at 33...but my inspiration was from a woman in her 40s who keeps a longboard in her car.

Seriously, I am not kidding!!!! Clearly you have a huge interest. Ignore the young kids (kinda like we are doing right now, haha). They were wicked intimidating to me too. Get a deck with big squishy wheels (some sort of cruiser or small long board) and just start rolling around. I can tell your interest in skating goes beyond your son, because of how often you post. Just do it! (And keep us informed, I think everyone in this forum whether they are willing to admit it or not, would love to hear about both Parker's AND your skating!)

Mindy
    Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. Maybe I'll dink around on Parker's board when we're the only ones there, and just see how I do! But, I won't make any promises.

Get it right Demon...not balls... fallopian tubes. She has nice fallopian tubes.
    *sigh* **facepalm**

Figures of speech are a *****, eh?

Getting hurt is part of it. IT HELPS YOU LEARN. Oh ****, dont lean to far forward on a backside flip? yup, got it now.
    You do realize that us old ladies break easier, right??

Sail Hatan.

Become an old man than.

Quote Originally Posted by SK8in'PJ View Post
    You do realize that us old ladies break easier, right??
    Dont mind Demon. Ever.

okay, Demon, you sure can be a [insert favorite derogatory term here] but that last post was funny.

Moms are tough as nails...you won't break. Go slow and easy at first. We all know you can do it!

Sail Hatan.

okay, Demon, you sure can be a [insert favorite derogatory term here] but that last post was funny.

Moms are tough as nails...you won't break. Go slow and easy at first. We all know you can do it!

syrup sipper

Hahah classic
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

My mom can kickflip.
    "If you fill your bowl too much, it will spill." - Lao Tzu

HAHA, I guess that's true. But I can't get too hurt typing on a keyboard. lol
    As long as you got bones to break you should skate
    Skate Til You Puke

Veteran Member

Skating will actually help your bones. The vibrations and small jars you receive causes your bones to become more dense lowering your chances of osteoporosis. I really think you will have fun I'm enjoying watching my 10 year old daughter learn her brothers are a bit harsh on her but it pushes her. She just learned to kickturn. She gets stoked on the simplest of things which gets me excited too. Beware though your husband might be jealous when you start haning out with all those younger men.

Alot of my friends don't skate, they think that they're too old to start and they're only around 20 or so. I never understood why you cant start skating even if your 40. Slap on some elbow pads,knee pads, what ever makes you feel safe. Maybe even tape a pillow to your bum, doesnt matter. I think the best way is to ride tranny, dont let the board leave your feet and you dont have much to worry about really. My sister was 4 when i threw her onto a old skate of mine, she caught it right away. Gonna let a 4 year old one up ya? haha

Elite Member

How does that take any balls....it's the internet and your getting advice from people you don't even know so it won't affect anyone's opinion of you in your life at all...makes no sense.

FuturePrimitive

Everything ain't for everybody.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

HAHA! Yeah, I'm too chicken. Although, I think it looks so fun, but I feel I'm too old to start. (I'm 40) I would be too self conscious, with all those young kids watching me.
    Excuses, excuses.

You're too old? Lloyd Kahn wasn't. He STARTED to skate at the age of 65:

There are plenty of women over 40 who skate. I have several in my latest clip here:

I skated with women who were senior citizens at the World Record Skate parade:

You're a mom. Plenty of moms skate. Check out www.SkateboardMom.com and this:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=629596n&tag=api

And don't forget the annual Mighty Momma Skate-O-Rama here:
    http://mightymamaskateorama.blogspot.com

If it's "not your thing" then that's fine. Skating isn't for everyone. But if you start to talk about things like age or fear preventing you from giving it a shot, those are not legitimate reasons. You can do anything you set your mind to accomplish.
    Last edited by SkateCalifornia; 09-28-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Skatecalifornia- Well, I guess I can't really say it's my AGE, but in reality, it's just not something I'm interested in trying. For one thing, my job. I work for a dental surgeon, and I assist with surgeries everyday. If I fell and broke my wrist or something, I'd be out of work, and couldn't pay bills. I can't imagine telling my boss, "Sorry, I can't come in for awhile, I was skateboarding, and fell." He'd think I was crazy. LOL

As much as I like skateboarding, I just don't think it's MY thing. Sure, if I really set my mind to it, I might learn it. But, I'm not interested. I'll just stick to watching Parker learn and progress.