Best bearings to get for the price?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bearings to get for the price?

Elite Member

Default Best bearings to get for the price?

Guys, I'm looking to buy a new set of bearings. I'm cheap and always but the 15 dollar set they sell at my local shop. This time I'm looking to get a good pair. So I'm wondering what is the best pair of bearings I can get for the price given. Like I know if I really wanted to spend 100 dollars and get some amazing pair of ceramics i would. But I'm not. I'm wondering in the 20-40 range what set of bearings from your experiences is the best to get? I know a lot of them have fancy names and everything but end up being garbage.

For what I've hear I would probably go with Bones Super Reds, or some Swiss if you can afford them. But I never really felt the need to upgrade from the normal Reds I usually ride

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

http://milehighskates.com/mhs-bearings.html

Cheap and effective. I have had multiple sets of Reds, and I've loved them, but these are comparable and a lot cheaper. These are actually on my main board, right now.

Edit: Look at Abec 11 biltin's. They have the bearing spacers built right in, and I've heard they're pretty good, sorry I didn't read your post all the way, I always stick to cheapo bearings, so I thought I'd recommend the Mile High ones. Haha
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Im currently using spitfire street burners. i like em so far, but i've heard from lots of different people that bones reds(think thats what they're called) is one of the best.

Elite Member

Thanks guys, checked out some reviews and I'm probably gonna go with the bones reds as suggested. I made the mistake of buying a pair of Lucky's for like 13 dollars a month ago. They're eating **** now. And I got blank wheels which already have chunks in them and what not. If any of you guys actually read this post and not just the top post (I don't feel like making a new thread and spamming more), what type of wheels generally make you go faster? Stupid question, I know. But I've been doing more vert then street lately and like to just pump hard and get a lot of speed going through ramps, etc. Take away from the constant pushing and pumping.

LeftLaneClosed

I got bones redz for $18 awhile ago, lovin em

Skating Reds right now, and I love them.

As for wheels, I don't know specifically if a brand will make you skate faster, but the bigger the wheel the less pusing. So some 60mm wheels should do nicely.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Infested View Post
    Skating Reds right now, and I love them.

As for wheels, I don't know specifically if a brand will make you skate faster, but the bigger the wheel the less pusing. So some 60mm wheels should do nicely.
    Yeah, I didn't mean brand I meant size and hard or soft. I really don't know the difference, my whole skating life I have bought everything cheap. Blank wheels, whatever bearings were sold for the lowest price, blank decks, etc.

Chillin'

Always go for hard wheels, unless you are a filmer or generaly hate them. As for the size, alot people say larger wheels for Vert. But IMO it's something you have to find out yourself.

I have heard that the Destructo Sendai bearings are really high quality. They are only like 15 bucks too.

Mini Logos if you are strapped, they're basically REDs you can get them for $8 on amazon?

Indy ABEC 7s, got them for $11 and find them smoother/faster than my old REDS and comparable to my SUPER REDS.

Bones Reds.

Honestly for the money the Indy bearings are awesome. Hell I just cleaned and lubed a gently used set of $30 Black Panthers from a few years back and they're screaming, on par with the indys.

As for wheels:

Harder wheels are faster
    Smaller wheels accelerate faster
    Taller wheels have a higher top speed (once you get there)
    Wider wheels have more grip due to more surface area
    Narrow wheels slide easier due to less surface area

I skate 53/54mm and as hard as I can find, perfect balance if you skate all terrain, though I do find my 56mm wheels are faster in the bowl...it's only 2mm and they thinner but man they scream =D

Quote Originally Posted by skatinkrazy View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean brand I meant size and hard or soft. I really don't know the difference, my whole skating life I have bought everything cheap. Blank wheels, whatever bearings were sold for the lowest price, blank decks, etc.
    In that case, go for Bones for wheels too. Bones SPF 60mm.

I don't skate vert/tranny/ramp, so I don't really know how much hardness/softness is an issue. I also dig the re-issued Powell Peralta Rat Bones 60mm 90A...not sure if those would be too soft for ramps or not? They are great for cruising, and roll nice and fast with Reds bearings.

Retired Staff

Go on ebay and look up VXB bearings. You can buy a set of ceramic bearings with spacers built in for $25. They come highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Guys, I'm looking to buy a new set of bearings. I'm cheap and always but the 15 dollar set they sell at my local shop. This time I'm looking to get a good pair. So I'm wondering what is the best pair of bearings I can get for the price given. Like I know if I really wanted to spend 100 dollars and get some amazing pair of ceramics i would. But I'm not. I'm wondering in the 20-40 range what set of bearings from your experiences is the best to get? I know a lot of them have fancy names and everything but end up being garbage.
    In the under $20 range, I'd say Bones Reds.

In the $20 to $50 range, I'd say Bones Swiss Six - my personal favorites.

The $100 ceramics truly are the best and fastest. That isn't hype. I have some. They are awesome. But, they aren't any faster than the $45 Bones Swiss Six, so I stick with those.

what type of wheels generally make you go faster? Stupid question, I know. But I've been doing more vert then street lately and like to just pump hard and get a lot of speed going through ramps, etc. Take away from the constant pushing and pumping.
    On vert, I never go lower than 60mm. I prefer 60mm to 65mm in size. For durometer, I don't like super-hard wheels like most folks. I like to stay in the 97a or 98a range. I tend to get Powell/Bones, Autobahn, OJIII or Rainskates as brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Go on ebay and look up VXB bearings. You can buy a set of ceramic bearings with spacers built in for $25. They come highly recommended.
    Never heard of those before but I just looked em up and they don't seem that bad. Highly recommended ayyy? How would you compare these to the usually Reds I ride?
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

psn=Stusiano

Super reds?

Can't go wrong with Bones Redz or OGs.
    Keep it Metal

How to Hardflip
    Skeeting all day erryday

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    Never heard of those before but I just looked em up and they don't seem that bad. Highly recommended ayyy? How would you compare these to the usually Reds I ride?
    They have their own version of reds. I got a set for $5 and they're just as good as bones reds in my opinion. Their ceramics are dirt cheap (comparatively), last a long time, and ride smooth and consistent. They take a bit to break in, and the stock lube in there isn't the best, but after awhile they ride real nice. Compared to bones swiss and rocknrons, they ride just a nice for half the price. If built in spacers aren't a big thing for you, try to get their regular ceramics. Every now and again they have some that use silicon nitrate ceramic ball bearings and those are awesome. The balls appear black in color.

They also have these cool teflon shielded bearings that self-lube. Those are pretty sweet too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    They have their own version of reds. I got a set for $5 and they're just as good as bones reds in my opinion. Their ceramics are dirt cheap (comparatively), last a long time, and ride smooth and consistent. They take a bit to break in, and the stock lube in there isn't the best, but after awhile they ride real nice. Compared to bones swiss and rocknrons, they ride just a nice for half the price. If built in spacers aren't a big thing for you, try to get their regular ceramics. Every now and again they have some that use silicon nitrate ceramic ball bearings and those are awesome. The balls appear black in color.

They also have these cool teflon shielded bearings that self-lube. Those are pretty sweet too.
    You should post links. There was a huge selection and I wouldn't want to accidentally order a giant bearing to the inside of a tank turret.

Or would I?

And I still stand by what I said about Mile High Skates bearings..
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    You should post links. There was a huge selection and I wouldn't want to accidentally order a giant bearing to the inside of a tank turret.
    Skateboards use standard 608 bearings. But, the VXB website also has a page specific to skateboarding, so you don't even need to know the bearings are 608. That is here:
    http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...eboardBearings
    Last edited by SkateCalifornia; 10-11-2011 at 10:37 PM.