DSLR vs. CAMCORDER

Thread: DSLR vs. CAMCORDER

Default DSLR vs. CAMCORDER

ahoy all. I want to film skateboard tricks, as well as LINES, so have bought a nice board for that with quiet wheels ect.

Anyway I'm wondering what camera to use. I know DSLRs are really nice for single tricks and everything, but I'm worried that it would be impractical to hold while pushing on a board. I mean compared to a sony VX2000 which fits snugly in the hand, they look like they'd be a nightmare to use unless you had some kind of grip extension...is there such a thing..
    I mean i'd buy a camcorder, but the DSLRs vid quality looks so my budget is 500 max..for now

Also I'd want to use the same camera for some basic music videos. So an all-round camera that will also be suitable for lines. And has lush vid quality!
    my budget is 500 max..for now

1)What cameras do you guys use for lines and so on?
    & 2)what cameras are the pros using in the latest vids etc?
    oh and 3)will a similarly priced camcorder look as good as a DSLR for video?
    finally 4)do people still use fisheye?! is it compatible with both DSLR and camcorder?

Thanks!!!
    (i know i sound out of touch, i've been out of skating for a while)

psn=Stusiano

If you do get a DSLR, you just need to get a handle for lines.

Retired Staff

I use a t2i for everything. It wasn't too bad filming lines even before i got a handle for it but it definitely helps. People use all types of cameras, hvxs/hmc/7d/5dmkii...

people definitely still use fisheye, and you can get a good fisheye for t2i/60d/7d for under 300 usd. The video qaulity for dslrs is amazing but you have to buy good lenses to go with it. idk how much 500 is for you in usd but im assuming its not too much.. you'd be best with a canon t2i, 50mm 1.8 prime, and a rokinon 8mm fisheye. then make your own DIY handle for stabilization. If you plan on filming music videos and such def go for a dslr

cheers guys, the only reason i was thinking camcorder was that DSLR might be a problem with lines, they look so delicate!! i mean travelling at 20mph with a 7d lol....
    yeah 500 is about $1000usd.

T2i looks lush!!
    it's that or the 450d I'm thinking.. however I do think that the 'depth of feild' thing where the background is all blurry has been slightly overused lately

Global Moderator

opteka makes a cheap handle that a lot of my friends use.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...abilizing.html

Most DSLRs are expensive but if you can get one they will look amazing if you use them right. If you are going to be filming good music videos then it is probably better. For just skating though you could get a nice HD camcorder which would work. I myself have been trying to decide which to get but then just decided to get a gopro.

i'd feel safer with a nice DSLR if it had some 'armour' or rubber casing to put around it. will do some more researching.

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by poshbloke View Post
    cheers guys, the only reason i was thinking camcorder was that DSLR might be a problem with lines, they look so delicate!! i mean travelling at 20mph with a 7d lol....
    The guys at Skatehouse Media use a 5D with either a fig-rig or a handle at speeds approaching 50mph. You need to be comfortable skating with something in your hand but its not a big deal once you are
    Last edited by Xgecko; 11-12-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Quote Originally Posted by marleyfan0 View Post
    opteka makes a cheap handle that a lot of my friends use.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...abilizing.html
    they also make cheap fisheyes

Retired Staff

1000 bucks, here's what i would recommend.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_T2i.html t2i

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html 50mm 1.8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html rokinon 8mm fisheye

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proaim-6-cag...item2c5ea1a2c9 Handle

That will get you started good for filming skating, I suggest looking for everything used first to save some money. Of course buying new is always more satisfying haha

after that, save up a bit more and get a good mic, the on board mic isn't too bad for skating but for music videos it would be horrible. a good tripod is also a must and you'll always find yourself wanting to buy more lenses.

cheers again. Was looking at the 10-22mm lens that one skater recommended but that's more than the cost of a T2i!...500 ($1000)

Speed Junkie

Check out Sigma lenes their zooms are a little more affordable and still quality
    Last edited by Xgecko; 11-13-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Retired Staff

Glass > body
    don't cheap out on lenses dude seriously. The rokinon fisheye is the best looking, imo, on crop sensor cameras and its cheap. and the canon 50mm 1.8 is a really great lens too. Get those then save for some good lenses. The zoom lens that every seems to be getting for skating is the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 with VC. I think theyre about 500 usd

I use my Canon 550D for everything. it's good.
    Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    White Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    Green Vantage Elite 40-50# SpiralX 31" draw

http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76

lol I think I'm the only person in this forum that uses a go pro... they're actually pretty good!!

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Maserati View Post
    lol I think I'm the only person in this forum that uses a go pro... they're actually pretty good!!
    haha i use a gopro, mostly for goofy ****. but if it comes down to it i will film something with it.

If your using a dslr an x-grip works great fits nice and just fine for filming lines

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    If your using a dslr an x-grip works great fits nice and just fine for filming lines
    X-Grips are very very flimsy. Not ideal for skateboard filming. I'd look at something more sturdy, like the Jason Hernandez Eazy Handle. Or, considering your budget, I'd look at making your own. There are plenty of tutorials out there.