Camera Vs Lens

Thread: Camera Vs Lens

Default Camera Vs Lens

want a camera + lens under 1000 ($2000) for quality skate footage. real quality.
    was gonna go for a T2i, comes bundled with 18-55

but i keep hearing 'it's not the camera it's the glass that counts' implying I should save on the camera and pay big bucks for a sweet lens...
    any opinions? should I go for cheaper than a T2i and splash out on a 10-22mm lens? and is a 10-22mm lens BETTER or just DIFFERENT to regular?

thanks guys !

psn=Stusiano

it really depends on if your just filming skating or not. but if thats your budget, then maybe do a 60d with maybe a tamron 17-50 and a tokina 10-17

Retired Staff

t2i is a great camera, it's the same quality and everything as a 7d for video wise it's just not in the pro body. If you get a t2i, the kit lens is pretty good but its no good for zooming. If you want a top of the line zoom lens you could get this.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_IS.html

If you want to save some cash for about half the price you can get the tamron 17-50 2.8 VC which is what most people who need a good zoom lens get ( skateboarding wise anyway )

canon 50mm 1.4L is a good lens if you're looking for a prime lens, and theyre only 400 usd.

im assuming you want a few lenses so i would go with the canon 50mm 1.4 // tamron 17-50 // and pick up a many brand fisheye; opteka6.5mm/bower 8mm/ rokinon 8mm/ vivitar 7mm, etc..

the peleng 8mm is a different lens, it is wider but, has some vig and the flares you get on it are pretty ugly. It also isn't as sharp as the others. and.. about 100$ more i believe.

Check out skateperception.com and go to the DSLR film making sub forum in the filming forum if you want to read up on a lot of info .

Retired Staff

Jeez, "only" $400? Haha. I had/am getting again an smc pentax f1.4 for around $90 or less. But, it's manual only so mebbe that's why it's significantly less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Retired Staff

Yea it's probably an older lens. 400 really isn't that much for a lens. I've been looking at lenses too much now, i want so many but i dont have the money haha. They make a 50mm 1.8 for only 120 too

Retired Staff

It is a wayyyy older lense. I got a 2. Something I forget 40mm pancake lens for $35. It's older than all hell but pancake lenses don't come that cheap nowadays. I'm a poor, poor boy so pentax allowing their dSLR bodies accept old slr lenses drew me to them. You can get some serious quality glass for next to nothing comparatively. Only problem is you're going to want a viewfinder magnifier or a quality focus screen because the viewfinder area is significantly less than a regular slr bod. I'm still dialing in my focus with my manual lenses. When im making the bux I'll get some modern day glass hah.

I think its cheaper in the long run though to just buy an actual video camera than to fiddle with a dSLR body for filming. All the rigs and whatever plus the rolling shutter killing the quality a bit should push you towards an actual camera if you're jus going to be filming mostly.

Retired Staff

It's definitely cheaper in the long run to get an actual video camera but people see it as you can get a body, lens and fisheye for just under a grand and they don't realize theyll want 4 more lenses and a mic and some form of stabilization.

The Nikon 55-200 VR isn't bad at all for the price (much better than the painfully soft Canon 55-250 IS), though the 75-300 is a pretty big step up - it's a very well regarded lens for its price.
    Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    White Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    Green Vantage Elite 40-50# SpiralX 31" draw

http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76

Retired Staff