Tune Ups/DIYS etc etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tune Ups/DIYS etc etc

Boss

Default Tune Ups/DIYS etc etc

The main focus of this thread Is for anyone to post projects or just little things needed to get fixed regarding cosmetic, engine etc.
    Anything your working on atm or plan to.

Right now I'm off to get my rim fixed.
    Aluminum cracks too easy. Hopefully It's not gonna cost the full amount.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

My buddy and I just wired new subs, door speakers, and put the stock head unit back in, since it gives off more wattage. We also got a bigger amp, and I think we're putting tweeters in soon. We took out the PA, the CB (kept the antennae..guess it's cosmetic for him), put on some new rims and tires, removed the fire siren, but kept the lights. He had a good Christmas. :P

Learned a lot while replacing my spark plugs... It's important to remove all the dirt and grime around the plug recesses once you get the wires off. If your engine is like mine and the plug recesses are too deep underneath stuff, get a stick to prod everything loose and compressed air keyboard cleaner to blow it all out.

To check the plugs, pull the plug wire out, and use a deep socket (usually 5/8") to remove spark plugs ONE AT A TIME! They fire in a sequence, so don't lose track of what you're working with. Inspect the electrode for corrosion, and use a feeler gauge to check the gaps (the appropriate gap for your vehicle will be in the manual).

To check your spark plug wires, get one of your buds to crank your car at night or in a dark place while you watch the ends of the wires where the plugs are. If you can see any sparks, your wires aren't getting a good seal and need to be replaced.

Spark plugs should be replaced every 10-50k miles (look at your car manual), wires just depend on the weather conditions and quality of the rubber compound used to make the seals. New plugs increase performance and fuel mileage.
    Last edited by Higher-Class; 01-03-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    Any fool can make a rule and any fool will mind it.

Thats Me!

i need to give mine it's 140 k service... and fix and exhaust bracket..

Boss

Yea man I need to replace my spark plugs.
    Long overdue.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

Boss

Changing my breaks tom. I love It going from giving me a heads up to change then metal on metal quicker then anything. lol
    Ouch!
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

Took mine in for a computer diagnostic and all-around checkup... not good! $2,500+ in repairs (including labor). Time for some serious DIY.

new thermostat
    EGR valve cleaned
    throttle cable adjusted
    new timing belt
    new water pump & gaskets
    new fuel filter
    oil change
    new front sturts with b&g lowering springs

R.I.P Jake Miller
    3/12/1989 - 9/13/2008

Gravity Slave Moderator

Going to change the oil and filters in both cars this month. Pretty easy. I do them every 6 months in May and November (on a day that isn't ridiculously hot or cold).

Got rid of my truck's misfire! All I did was replace the spark plug wires.

I also put in a keyed ignition. The guy who owned it before me lost the keys, so he just took the ignition switch out of the steering column so it dangled by your legs. You could start it with a flathead screwdriver, or any key of your choosing. Anyway, lesson learned: Make sure you know which wire does what, and WRITE THEM DOWN. I burnt two ignition switches because I had the ground and start wires mixed up. You can tell what the different wires are by using a continuity tester. There will be a ground (grounds the unit), a hot (actuates the unit), a start (actuates the starter), a run (keeps the engine running), and accessory (actuates certain electronics).

I inadvertently realized how to hot-wire a car in the process of doing this.

DJyoyoLilDyls

red brake calipers soon

I just put corvette wheels on my Vw rabbit and I converted all my interior lights aswell as my rear Tag light to LED

Gravity Slave Moderator

Wife's car very recently started to stall when not warmed up. Runs perfectly fine after 2-3 minutes . Today I went and got some new spark plugs. While putting them in I encountered oil, more than a little bit inside the spark plug tubes. ALAS! back to the store for valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. Why does the seemingly simple and clean task always turn out to be the nasty PTA???

Anyway will pull it off, clean it all up and check the plug wires while putting it back together. Hopefully the head gasket is sound, but who knows...

EDIT, so I found out what sucks about the cheap valve cover gaskets. They don't stick to the valve cover and pop back out when you turn it over and try to wiggle it in under the throttle cable to put it back on. I tried like 15 times with no success. I ended up re-using the old one which looked and felt fine and popped right in to place on the first try. I did just use the new plug tube gasket thingie. It doesn't appear to be leaking.. yet, but if it does I'll get the better valve cover gasket kit next time for sure!
    Last edited by NoSwitch; 08-31-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Retired Staff

Put in new struts and lowering springs on my mazda 3 a few weeks ago. Being someone that never had much of a clue about cars, turned out a lot easier than i thought.

gonna try to free up a sticking hydraulic valve lifter by putting a quart of tranny fluid in my oil, running it hard for 50 miles or so, then changing the oil. hope it doesn't asplode

Boss

Wish I had a car to work on.
    Wish I had a license.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

Retired Staff

Last weekend i upgraded my transmission motor mount and my passenger motor mount. 3 weeks ago i did rear motor mount. Car vibrates a lot more now but god damn, it shifts so much smoother also got rid of the terrible slop the engine had. Buying a cobb accessport and high pressure fuel pump internals soon, hopefully within the next two months.
    IMG_1343.jpg

Here it is as of two weeks ago, summer tires are back on now though. Don't have a picture on my computer though

яussian

I'm planning on upgrading the sound system in my mazda 3. Probably going to go with Alpine Type S speakers (components in front and coaxials in the rear door), maybe Type R's if I get enough money. I actually have a set of 6.5" Type R coaxials from my old car but I already made bookshelf speakers out of them. Also going to go with an Alpine headunit with the 50Wx4 powerpack add-on to power the speakers. If I end up with ~$200 to spare I'll get a sub enclosure like an Infinity Basslink or something. Don't need window-shattering bass from 900 15"-ers.

^BTW I like that continuation of the black plastic/paint on the front lip. Looks sick. Is that standard on MS3's or did you do that?

Retired Staff

It was like that when i bought the car but no, it does not come like that from Mazda.

I bought a Cobb accessport last week and flashed a stage 1 map on my car, def. notice a difference. Can't wait to do some more things to it over the summer and then hopefully get an e-tune
    Also put new inverters for the halos in my headlights. Everything was there and wired up when i bought the car but the inverters were dead so i picked up some new ones.

Summer tires

Halos

DJyoyoLilDyls

picked up a 89 nissan 240sx for 500 bucks acouple weeks ago as my project car. needs new engine but the body is in excellent condition with no rust. looking to find just a replacement ka or fork out acouple more grand and snag a sr. dunno. time will tell

and halos are sick brandon.