TOO OLD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TOO OLD

Boss

Default TOO OLD

Why are so many people skeptical about skating at whatever age.
    People need reassurance by coming onto a forum? Not what skatings about.
    Not slagging anyone off but I've seen sooo many of those threads.

/Just an observation.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

Thats Me!

yeah they do pop up fairly often...

all good though, if they get good advice they may continue to be active on here..

Scrubs Nerd

You're only too old if you think you're too old.

totally; a friend of mine started when he was 45 or so, he turned 50 last year & is ripping pools now.
    nuff said
    GG Allin was here...

Oh.My.GLOB

you're too old to be making threads about people being too old.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Speed Junkie

OK I will admit that I am too old/broken to do certain tricks but I did an Invert on my 43 birthday and broke 50mph at the age of 44......Skating keeps me young
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

I don't think anyone is too "old" to skateboard. There are a lot of people who think older skateboarders need to "grow up" which is total schlock. I'm 31 and I'm in better shape than these overweight 18 year olds who sit on their ass playing video games all day. And I'm in better physical shape than most people in their 30s. If anything skating has kept me healthy. Besides look at guys like Duane Peters, Bill Danforth and Jay Adams...they're ****ing dinosaurs compared to the new up and comers.

proof that you're never too old.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Oh.My.GLOB

yeah, never too old to be an asshole
    "Hail Caesarean"

Cafe Fuzz

Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard. So if we give the thumbs up, then it must be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

I saw a guy at the airport last week who looked to be about 60ish, and he was carrying a longboard. IMO, if you have the interest or desire, you're not too old. Either you have the talent and interest, or you don't. Same can be said for any sport or activity.

Came across this video the other day.

music i like http://www.last.fm/user/phenga
    Tree House Fun Club

IMO, it's understandable. While I do agree with the viewpoint that you're never too old to skate, pop culture does definitely depict skating as something that's only acceptable for teenagers, so older guys and gals may be a bit skeptical as to whether or not skating can be for them. The more skaters, though, the better, no matter what age.

Yeah, I get it too.

I don't pay it much mind now, but older chick skaters are not the norm, and I get more than my share of looks and comments.

And there is something about learning to skateboard that is intimidating. Especially when you are older, I think people expect that you have been skating forever, and when you clearly suck...well its kinda funny to watch. Trust me, I know!

Anyway, now instead of worrying about myself being "too old" to skateboard, I think, you kids are "too young" to be scooting, biking, etc, because you can actually still walk away from the skateboarding slams... So get on the darn board, wimps! Haha...

Mindy

Yeah. They do pop up a lot. And usually they are from kids young enough to qualify as my sprogs. At my age I was sure to question it when I started. Mind you I didn't go to a forum. I went to Pizzey Park and found the majority of the skaters there on that day were old cruds just like me.

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Bandeanies View Post
    Came across this video the other day.
    Here's more from him

Personally, I think there is a lot of room for older skaters, be they old school guys who have been doing it for years or newbies to it. It's a different perspective, and I like hearing you old folks ( ) wax philosophical about it.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Chillin'

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJinkins View Post
    IMO, it's understandable. While I do agree with the viewpoint that you're never too old to skate, pop culture does definitely depict skating as something that's only acceptable for teenagers, so older guys and gals may be a bit skeptical as to whether or not skating can be for them. The more skaters, though, the better, no matter what age.
    Exactly. I ofeten get wierd looks from people when I am around with my skateboard. Possibly because people in germany have different views on skater than in the USA.

FuturePrimitive

While I'll agree the ceiling on being too old to skateboard and have fun is pretty darned high, I can't help but be envious of the kids who started at like 7 years old on modern equipment with giant parks to learn in. I started at 11 (on big ugly fish-shaped boards with no noses) which is fairly young, but I can imagine what another four or five years of foundation would have done for my skills...

So, realistically speaking, perhaps there's a "too old to reach full potential" ceiling. The younger one starts, the better.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Being 48 has given me a different perspective. I returned to skating about six months ago after a close to 30 year layoff. I have stayed away from street stuff mainly skating pools/bowls and half pipes, which is what I skated when I was a younger man. I do get all the weird looks when I get to park but when I get in the pool or bowl I am the one enjoying the look on their faces. Granted I do not skate at the same level I used to but I can carve and grind just fine. I really could not care less what anyone has to say about my age, I'm not there for them but for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. Besides it is not like those kids are pro riders!!!

Rafi

Oh, THAT guy...

I have to laugh whe I see those threads coming from people in their 20's.

Edit: Or their TEENS!

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=109949

Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Noj View Post
    While I'll agree the ceiling on being too old to skateboard and have fun is pretty darned high, I can't help but be envious of the kids who started at like 7 years old on modern equipment with giant parks to learn in. I started at 11 (on big ugly fish-shaped boards with no noses) which is fairly young, but I can imagine what another four or five years of foundation would have done for my skills...

So, realistically speaking, perhaps there's a "too old to reach full potential" ceiling. The younger one starts, the better.
    Time to time I too wish I started at a younger age. But to never skate at all would be worse, guess you wouldn't know either way If that was the case. Kinda like If you were never born or perhaps die.

Oh O.0
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.