Skating alone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skating alone?

Default Skating alone?

So, the conversation came up in another thread I started (I'm new incase people were wondering ) What are peoples views on skating alone. Just going out there and finding a good spot by yourself? In the UK or america or anywhere as a matter of fact.

I'm Australian, noone skates near me so i skate by myself a lot. it's not too bad.

music i like http://www.last.fm/user/phenga
    Tree House Fun Club

When I take my son to the skate park, I see a lot of people show up by themselves and skate alone. I've never thought much of it, and don't see anything wrong with it. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both.

I don't get as motivated you could say. I enjoy skating with a couple friends so we can get motivated off of each other landing tricks. It's cool to see your friend do something awesome and then you one up him or vice versa. I also play a lot of games of skate so I'm not much of an alone skater. Maybe just out in the street to work on a trick or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandeanies View Post
    I'm Australian, noone skates near me so i skate by myself a lot. it's not too bad.
    Yeah that's cool. But what do you do when you want to learn something you have never attempted before and don't know of you're doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
    I don't get as motivated you could say. I enjoy skating with a couple friends so we can get motivated off of each other landing tricks. It's cool to see your friend do something awesome and then you one up him or vice versa. I also play a lot of games of skate so I'm not much of an alone skater. Maybe just out in the street to work on a trick or two.
    I hear ya bro

Most of my friends pretty much stopped skating once they reached their 20's. So I'm a lone wolf now when it comes to skating. It's still fun, but you get way more motivation when skating with friends.
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

I'd much rather skate with friends than skate alone, although I do it when I have to. Definitely not as fun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    Most of my friends pretty much stopped skating once they reached their 20's. So I'm a lone wolf now when it comes to skating. It's still fun, but you get way more motivation when skating with friends.
    That's exactly how I feel but I lost touch with most of my friends after college. So it will just seem awkward me going out on my own with a board. lol. I haven't ever seen anyone skate near me either really so that makes it even worse, but it's something I want to do so I got to deal with it

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsFinest View Post
    Yeah that's cool. But what do you do when you want to learn something you have never attempted before and don't know of you're doing it right
    Film yourself doing the trick, and compare it to the way other people do it on YouTube (watch slow-mo videos of the tricks for comparison.)

Also, just How-To videos on YouTube in general for different tricks should help a lot.

Sounds like I should be okay skating alone then .
    Also peole, feel free to add me as a friend on here etc as I plan on staying for a while:P

Hi and welcome!

This topic comes up periodically, so search it if you want to read a lot more on it.

In short, go skate. Where I am, no one could care less if you show up at a skate park by yourself. As far as spots go, I tend to cruise with limited spots when I am on the streets. I don't really care what people think. I used to feel really self-conscious, and sometimes still do, but as I repeatedly say on here, 30 something year old lady skaters are not a dime a dozen in Boston. I am going to skate even if I don't have a readily available posse.

Most people on this site feel the same way, I think.

Mindy

I like it because it's easier to concentrate, but I do it in moderation. If I skate by myself too much, I get lazy and start to get extremely bored. But if I skate with friends too much, I'm never able to actually do many tricks because I just goof off the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsFinest View Post
    What are peoples views on skating alone. Just going out there and finding a good spot by yourself?
    Skaters who bemoan riding alone should sell their skateboards and go play team sports.

Skaters gonna skate.

skating alone sucks imo.. jus sayin

Quote Originally Posted by new2sk8ing View Post
    I like it because it's easier to concentrate, but I do it in moderation. If I skate by myself too much, I get lazy and start to get extremely bored. But if I skate with friends too much, I'm never able to actually do many tricks because I just goof off the whole time.
    Yeah I see where you're coming from. Each has its pro's and con's

nothing wrong with hitting up a park solo. meet some new people etc.

wouldnt skate street solo though.

Alone, I'm like super introverted. I don't do tricks alone because I feel like I'll look like a dumbass if I fall, and it'll make to much noise, etc. However with friends, all those feelings go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
    Exactly. If i see my friend so some sick trick than i will try to do something sicker even if im not sure i will land it.

No one in my town skates really. Maybe the new kid in my study hall, but that's it. I'm a girl too, so everyones kinda like, "ehhh." y'know? So, yeah. I skate alone. (forever alone)