GoPro cameras
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoPro cameras

Default GoPro cameras

are the GoPro cameras any good at all?...

Retired Staff

Yea but it's not really a good idea to get one for a main camera.

Default ?????

wot camera should i get then

Retired Staff

.. post budget

Im going to get the hero naked. Cheaper and i only want the stick on mount it comes with for snowboarding on helmet. And will film in 720p 60 fps

Best for videos when your on the board but if you have a camera man. Then obviously you would use him as your main camera when doing tricks. :3

Thought you should get the Go Pro for some first person recording
    "QWERTY MAAN WAS HERE"

psn=Stusiano

Go pros audio sucks though, which is a pretty big part of skate videos

Get a contour HD. the mic on that thing is beast. Its what ive used for all my snowboarding videos.

The go pro is nice, but it has its limitations. It needs natural light to look good. It can't do long lens shots. But it can be put in places normal cameras cannot go. I use one, you can too if you understand its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Try to hit on her. If she doesn't like you, she'll probably hide when she sees you walk in. If she does, you will be "sponsored" by your shop's owner's daughter.
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Great camera, but no zoom.
    Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    White Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    Green Vantage Elite 40-50# SpiralX 31" draw

http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76

GoPro HD2 are way better than the original HD. Sound is an issue, but if you need to use it like a regular camera, I'm pretty sure you can plug in a better mic, you just lose the protective housing. You don't get zooms, but that shouldn't be a big deal shooting action sports.

I think any of the wearable cameras are the way to go for action sports.

BTW, I have Panny 150, Canon 60D, Panny 8?? (consumer type) and a GoPro HD. For action... there's nothing like the GoPro.

Retired Staff

If you're filming to make it look good zooming can be pretty important..

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If you're filming to make it look good zooming can be pretty important..
    Not really... And if you are are going to zoom, then you need to be good at it. I see far too many people attempt things that they can't pull off. Throwing a couple of pop-zooms may help a piece, but in my opinion you are going to be better served by placement and framing. Granted a GoPro is tough to frame when you can't see the LCD (if you even have one on yours) but the kind of action shots you can get are unparalleled compared to a regular video camera.

Think about the placement, and angles over just throwing in some zooms. Plus, the fact that you or your rider can wear the thing on their head, chest, leg or board gives so many other angles and shots impossible with a standard video camera.

I have all 4 types of cameras personally ... Sure my Panasonic 150 is great for shooting football games as zooming is critical to get the action. My Canon 60D is great for interviews and things where I really need to create shallow depth of field, my Panasonic consumer camera (800 series) is great for quick things that don't need a professional touch. But the GoPro is awesome for action shots, you just can't beat it.

And personally I would buy them in this order if I was a skater. GoPro HD2, Panny 800 series (or anything like it), Canon 60D, and then 150 is probably out of most people's price range, but it's a great camera (and the new series that has replaced it is even better).

BTW, here's a video that I shot with both the Panny 150 and a GoPro HD2.

The guy wearing the GoPro isn't trained or anything, and I just set him loose with the camera.

I didn't really have time to do a really good video as the focus of the video was more about the ribbon cutting. But this shows some of the shots that can be done. And there are so many better angles and uses that I didn't have time to get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZ_w5ElT70&t=10m5s

Retired Staff

I just don't see a point in the pov angle for things like skateboarding/snowboarding. You can't even tell what they're doing half the time and a video with just go pro gets so boring.
    and placement and framing is more important than zooming... you should think it out so that while your zooming the composition and framing looks nice. I'm not trying to argue im just throwing in my .02

Only reason i would buy a go pro would be for the water proofing but i never need that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I just don't see a point in the pov angle for things like skateboarding/snowboarding. You can't even tell what they're doing half the time and a video with just go pro gets so boring.
    and placement and framing is more important than zooming... you should think it out so that while your zooming the composition and framing looks nice. I'm not trying to argue im just throwing in my .02

Only reason i would buy a go pro would be for the water proofing but i never need that anyway.
    No worries bro... when telling stories through moving images you have to believe what you are doing first. So for you, zooms are important... and I can't and won't diminish that. My point really is... the camera means nothing in the grands scheme of things. What's important is the story and how you tell it. And to that end, there are two ways to create a video... to please yourself (most important) or to please others (read: sellout). People have made some of the greatest videos in the world using camera phones, so again, the camera isn't as important as the story being told.

Probably the biggest reason for pushing the GoPro for action stuff is the fact that it is protected. If I take my 4000 dollar camera out and break it. I'm gonna be hurting bad. If my 300 dollar GoPro gets smashed, I'll be annoyed, but not devastated.

Retired Staff

no doubt, get insurance on your stuff. ill be insurring my hvx setup soon. my friend broke his dvx a few years back snowboarding and his insurance company gave him enough money he ended up getting an hvx. that was when they were $$$$ too

GoPro's are honestly more so for POV shots. Now I know I am a hypocrite because last summer I used to film with the HD Hero but it was because I didn't quite have the funds for a camera. I was reading up on the Hero2 and the specs are much more impressive then the HERO 1. If you go with a sinhle GoPro for now, make sure you have a variety of angles

I love the GoPro.. If you are skateboarding u can just put the cam on a stick and make a video of yourself (for example from close to the ground). In addition u can use it in the water!