Some opinions on a vehicle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some opinions on a vehicle

Retired Staff

Default Some opinions on a vehicle

My girlfriend is finally in the market for a car as she wants to get her license instead of renewing her state ID. She's been looking at dealerships, but, we also got one of those friend of a friend of a friend deals going.

Basically, her room mates girlfriend's mom is selling her 1976 VW Beetle for $1,200. She just put that amount into repair work and whatever on the car. The only thing "wrong" with it is the back seat needs to be replaced. It's also manual.

She's turned off to the idea because of the age, but I am trying to tell her the car is a classic and if its lasted this long AND its been repaired it will last a hell of a lot longer. Manual shift is also way better on gas. The price is also ridiculously low considering it was just the cost of the repairwork/restoration. I almost want to sell my car and just buy this thing myself.

I know there's some older gents on here who may have heard tell of such a vehicle. What are your opinions on it?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1976-Vo...Overview-c6924
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Holy Hell. Make sure she buys it. Thats such a good deal

Retired Staff

I wouldn't buy that for a daily driver... Daily driver/first car im assuming... spend 1200 on a mid 90s corolla or something.

Retired Staff

I probably would want to murder myself in traffic with stick shift wouldn't I?

Retired Staff

I've heard its very annoying, im going to be buying a car within the next few days/weeks myself and i plan on getting a 5 speed though.

psn=Stusiano

I need to get a car of my own. Its annoying sharing with my brother/mom haha

Retired Staff

I'm heading out with her tomorrow to look at a few. One she wanted was a Ford focus though and I'm entirely wary of all domestic cars. She also had a Nissan and Mazda in mind-- though I forgot what models. I think there was a Mustang she saw too. Those are all around 4 grand and up though. Her original budget was 2k.

Retired Staff

Ford focus' aren't bad little cars. My brother had a nissan maxima a few years back, it was pretty nice. Im currently looking into a mazda 3, i personally wouldn't get any other mazda though haha. unless it was a 6 or rx8.

Retired Staff

She's look at the Mazda 6. I don't really know **** about cars to be honest.

Retired Staff

Mazda 6's are nice, my grandmother has an 03, it was mint. She traded it to a deal like 6 months after i got my truck for 6 grand and it had 20k miles on it ): i would have bought it too

Thats Me!

any japcar is going to be well built, cheap, reliable and good on gas (just get one thats been looked after and not trashed)

i wouldn't get the vw if i were you, they're slow loud unreliable cars that cost a heap for parts...great sunday cruiser cars but not great for a daily...my 2 cents anyway..

Retired Staff

I'm trying to steer (lol?) towards a Honda or Toyota. She's... really picky though. If you want an example, she used to have one bike. She wanted to buy a new multi-speed bike, so, she got one. She didn't like it. So she went and bought a single speed bike. She said she didn't like that either. She almost bought another bike for around $700 because it's what she wanted and I talked her out of it. Now she just rides around on the multi-speed she doesn't like.

I do not want her to do that with cars.

We found a few Honda civics we'll look at tomorrow-- all under 2 grand. She didn't seem enthused though... she wants something to LOOK the way she likes it. Yup.

Just let her get whatever car she wants and if she picks a ****ty one you can say "I told you so". Unless she comes across a batmobile for under 2k.

Obviously the best choice for a daily driver/pussy magnet.
    I like my boards like I like my women, big, loose, and fast.

яussian

It isn't more economical just because it's manual transmission... It's just that with manual transmission you have the option to drive more economically.

I would lean away from a 76 beetle. It's a classic but definitely not good for a daily driver. The money you'd spend on maintaining it would be so much higher than a 90s or 00's car simply because of the low part availability and the fact that it's bound to break down frequently because of its age.

Retired Staff

We ended up getting the 07 focus haha. The dealer gave her a pretty good deal and ended up going with it. Her credit is shady at best and she didn't want to do too many hard inquiries. We talked down her monthlies from 280 to 205 and her down from 2,500 to 1,750. I honestly thought she wouldnt get anything lower than $300 a month so that's pretty darn good. They also co-signed for her. Other dealerships wouldn't finance anything lower than 9k so I don't think we could have done too much better.

The car has 62k miles on it, manual transmission. It's certified pre-owned and was sold a bit under the Kelley blue book value which I thought was cool considering they were planning on gouging the price up to 12.5k. We got it around 9k or something but it will be a boatload higher cuz of apr.

Edit: thanks for the input guyses.

Retired Staff

Update: they had to raise the APR so they lowered the price to 7,500 then lowered her payments to 193. I tried to pick it up but, apparently, you can't climb into a stick shift car with no knowledge of how to drive one and take it home.

syrup sipper

Manuals are the best. Good choice.
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

Retired Staff

We're getting it delivered. They were nice enough to show me the basics but I didn't feel confident enough to get home. Im not that great at coming from a stop yet. When I'm already going I was alright. I might take lessons with her so we both can learn. I'm really blown away by how nice the people are at the dealership. I may even trade in and get a car there myself.

Cafe Fuzz

Great on gas!! Stick shift also saves your brakes since you can down shift. Although, what was your APR? I got a 07 Xterra for $199 a month, and I financed $10,000 (after $6000 down)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesushadherpes View Post
    what point? that my man pathtek can post pictures? yea i figured he could do that.

Retired Staff

I just talked to my bank and i can get a 10k loan on 5 years at around 200$ a month. Probably won't take out 10k but it's nice to know i don't have to buy a cheap car. I'll be joining you on the getting better at driving a standard soon