What is Skateboarding to you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Skateboarding to you?

Default What is Skateboarding to you?

I wanted to make a thread to thank Skateboarding, and all it has done for me, and what i hope to do for it.

Skateboarding, through my years on and off, i find has fought off my chronic self-loathing, and thoughts of suicide. It's a problem that has ruined/ended the lives of many of my family members, alot of them tried to fight it off with drugs, and it didn't work, and they ended up alone, losing their children to protective services, in prison, or dead. But, enough of my family history, and more unto the depths of what skating has done for me. Most of the time, when i am feeling depressed, and can pick up my skateboard, and just cruise around, and get in the mood to live, albeit at times it cannot fight the darkness, it still has helped prevent the moods from attaining a level of unreachabillity. Skateboarding has kept me interested, and off of drugs, and just lets me live, i fear without it there is a high chance i may i done away with myself already, as i had already attempted to a few years back, i'm glad my stepdad had walked in and kicked my ass, if he hadn't i'd have strangled myself to sleep in a matter of seconds, and death for sure would have followed. I love Skateboarding to death, and i question how i ever could have stopped, it's my Eldorado, i can never reach a peak of greatness, but i can dream, and i can strive, and through all failure, i will try, and try again, till death do us part. It's the only thing that i get a natural high off of, i reach a point where the wind gently acting against the bristles of hair on my arm feels amazing, if i fall, i feel no pain, i get back up laugh about it and come at the same thing harder, and faster, sometimes these modes last for minutes, sometimes for hours, i love them. For what, this unknown savior has done for me, i feel as if i need to pay strong amounts of homage to it, i need to do something big, help keep it strong, and allow it to be taught to all, of any ethnic background, any lifestyle, any country, although it seems immposible, i will attempt to find a way. All i know, is i'm going to ride, day in and day out, stay bold, no matter how old, and live with the essence in which skateboarding bores upon me, may your days be filled with joy and well-being, and i wish that upon anyone.

Now, what does this entity mean to you?

Eldorado by Edgar Allan Poe

Gaily bedight,
    A gallant knight,
    In sunshine and in shadow,
    Had journeyed long,
    Singing a song,
    In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old -
    This knight so bold -
    And o'er his heart a shadow
    Fell as he found
    No spot of ground
    That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
    Failed him at length,
    He met a pilgrim shadow -
    "Shadow," said he,
    "Where can it be -
    This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the mountains
    Of the Moon,
    Down the Valley of the Shadow,
    Ride, boldly ride,"
    The shade replied -
    "If you seek for Eldorado!"

So far its an outlet for me, fact being I'm going through depression. And my exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelogan View Post
    So far its an outlet for me, fact being I'm going through depression. And my exercise.
    It's tough going through depression, i've dealt with it my entire life, and can't wait for the day, if any it will leave me, everything else seems to leave, just not your problems.

It's my escape from reality. . . It really is. I'm not depressed at all, it's just that when I skate I feel so relaxed and I forget about everything and zone out.

For me, skateboarding's a passion that really gets me out and moving. Before skateboarding, I used to play a lot of video games, and wasn't that active. Now that I've started skating, though, I'm out nearly as much as possible, working on learning new tricks, reiterating tricks I've already learned, and going for bigger obstacles. Skateboarding's just so much fun, and has also really exposed me to how beautiful nature is, since I'm out so much more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Centripetal View Post
    What is Skateboarding to you?
    Fun.

Skating to me means having fun, and letting go of your problems, I can have the worst day @ school, then I come home, drop off my stuff in my room, and ride around the street I live on. It takes away stress for me. also skating reminds me of all the good times I had with friends at the school before they banned skating on school grounds. :/ There was a pretty sweet setup we had by the courtyard awhile back. It had a 4 stair, a rail, and about a 1 ft drop off. then skating in the courtyard was great, it had good benches. I had a group of guys I skated with, and I was the only girl. They thought it was pretty sweet that I was into skating, and they were encouraging. one of the guys and I were really good friends, we'd go to eachothers houses, and skate, or he'd come to my place and swim in my pool. (which we wanted to drain SO badly to skate in...my mom shot that idea down cold)
    Also if I'm feeling depressed, I usually go and ride my board to clear my head.

Flash Skateboarding Is A Part Of My Being

Having skated many years now, I can look at it all and put things in perspective. This comes from 30 years of the love of skateboarding. Whether I'd be competing as an amateur or traveling as a pro. Sacrafice was easy because of the love of it. Sleeping on ramps, cleaning out pools, skating all night, taking road trips and dreaming everyday is all because we love this sport and only we know what this feels like.

Life is worth living because of skateboarding. Our hearts can run to our thoughts of skateboarding for shelter when times get tough and thing pull you down. Skateboarding is our cure.

With skateboarding comes a lifestyle.
    The clothes you wear and the shoes you buy all fit into a pattern of this lifestyle. With pride we express our style with our every move. This lifestyle will never leave.

Your eyes look for spots at every glance. You can't go anywhere with out seeing a skate spot and it's just built in now. Your mind makes a mental note of the location. Your plans get set for the tricks you will try there.

The pain involved with learning tricks is almost is almost addicting. Broken bones and scars are war trophies and represent how far you've come. To fight a skateboarder is a mistake, because the concrete has made us strong. I can out fight anyone, because of the slams I've endured over the years.

Our very existence is hated by citizens and pedestrians of all walks of life. But our mission is focused on the sport we love so much and the sport we must have. Nobody will take this passion away and nobody will defeat our goals. We are skaters for life.

Scrubs Nerd

It gives me a legit reason to wake up in the morning and have a smile on my face.

According to me Skateboarding is one of youth most popular sports. There is a lot more to a skateboard than meets the eye,for me Skateboarding keeps me relax.

When I got into skateboarding I was just a pissed off, rebellious punk rock kid. I was totally drawn to the **** you attitude that skateboarding had at the time, and that carried through for a lot of my time on a skateboard. It was an outlet for my anger and aggression. Skateboarding probably saved me from beating the **** out of people. Now that I'm an adult it gives me a way to break free for a little while. I don't have a boss breathing down my neck, I don't have to worry about bills, I can shirk that responsible "adult" role for a little while and blow off some steam. Some people my age fish(boring), waste vasts amounts of time cheering for a sports team(boring) or take up jogging or going to the gym(boring AND tedious). So maybe I'm still fairly rebellious. I recently quit drinking and smoking and am coming to realize pushing around town is so much more fun than sitting on a barstool. So I guess what skating means to me is going to be redefined again and I'm positive it's going to be just as fun as the last 20 years.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Scrubs Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
    When I got into skateboarding I was just a pissed off, rebellious punk rock kid. I was totally drawn to the **** you attitude that skateboarding had at the time, and that carried through for a lot of my time on a skateboard. It was an outlet for my anger and aggression. Skateboarding probably saved me from beating the **** out of people. Now that I'm an adult it gives me a way to break free for a little while. I don't have a boss breathing down my neck, I don't have to worry about bills, I can shirk that responsible "adult" role for a little while and blow off some steam. Some people my age fish(boring), waste vasts amounts of time cheering for a sports team(boring) or take up jogging or going to the gym(boring AND tedious). So maybe I'm still fairly rebellious. I recently quit drinking and smoking and am coming to realize pushing around town is so much more fun than sitting on a barstool. So I guess what skating means to me is going to be redefined again and I'm positive it's going to be just as fun as the last 20 years.
    This. I'm only 19 but I'm slowly getting crushed by all these ''adult'' responsibilities, skating is the greatest output for my stress, frustration and whatever else life throws at me. It sets me free.

Skateboardng has been a lot of things to mr through the years. I got my first board when I was 8 in 1980. I almost slept with the thing. I skated every day I could because I didn't have anyone really close to my age around. We lived in the county, so wasn't much to skate on but I used to skate up and down the street. It was what I did to simply have fun.

When I was 10, they built a court off the main road. A couple militarty kids moved in that skated when they lived in florida. They started building launch ramps and such. I learned all kinds of stuff on the lauch ramps. I finally had friends even though they were a couple year older. It was what we did every day.

Within a few years, we had several quarters, a bunch of different size launch ramps, and a few rail road ties that we thaught we slick as hell. We used to drag everything in the court and started doing transfers and such. We stared making bigger and bigger gaps. We would back two launch ramps together and lean one of the rail road ties on it so we could rail slide down. It was what I had to express myself. It made me feal good.

About this time, I got hooked on thrasher magazine and got a subscription. All I thought about was skateing. The school we got bused to in town had a lot of skaters, but they all called me a poser because I was a goofy kid. I would tell them what I could do, and they would say I couldn't and that I was a poser. I kind of developed a low self esteam, and skateing was my only escape.

When I was 16, I started driving. A local skate shop had an open try out. I decided to go. I didn't make the team then, but a ton of the kids from school were there. By then i was doing kick flips off ramps, any kind off grab you could think of, late grabs, 180s, 360s, airwalks. I like to think the ones that used to call me poser were like,"oh ****". They stopped calling me a posser, and started letting me skate with them.

Around this time,they built a new city hall with tuns of skateable stuff. I learnd hand rails, started doing stairs, and doing stuff on benches. I would try anything no mater how big it was. I had spent so much time with a low self esteam that now I just wanted to be the best because I guess inside I didn't want to go back to that fealing.

When I was 19, I was skateing with several kids on a local skate shop team. They let me start going to demos and contest with them. My problem was I never touched a mini ramp or vert ramp, so I was 100% street. We built a mini ramp in the back yard, but my heart was still street.

At 24, My friend got picked up by think. He had a video camera, and we taped everything. Next thing I know, I was getting packages from think as well. I felt like I could do anything on a rail. I could do any stair set around, and I felt like I was awsome at street. Problem was all these flip ticks were starting to show up. I started getting discoraged because I was a big guy and had trouble learning them. I started falling behind and spending more time working, school and girls.

It started off, i would not skate a couple days. Then in got to once or twice a month. Then at some point it just stopped and I didn't even think about it any more.

Fast forwaerd to May 2011. By now I had kids and was on my secound marage. I have a decent job so my wife doesn't have to work. We Decided to become foster parents to a kid she knew as well. We were at mount trashmore in virginia beach, and we started watching the kids at the skate park there. My 7 year old son looked at me and said he wanted a skateboard. My foster son said he had one a long time ago before we had him, but it got stolen and that he wished he still had it. The desire to skate again hit me like a ton of bricks. We left the park that day and got new setups for all three of us.

Back in the day, skateboarding was my way to fit in. I wanted to be better that everyone around me. It was the one thing I was good at without even really trying. I know it was kind of shallow, but I would compare myself to the ones around me and strive to be better than them.

Now it is a new fealing. I am out with my kids just having fun being with them, I get a kick out of seeing my son drop in for the first time or doing his first rail slide. I am 40 years old. I don't think I will ever be able to do the stuff like I used to, though I do suprise people a few times, but I think I have more fun now than I ever did

Thats Me!

skateboarding to me is the thing to look forward to each weekend, a way to de-stress, a way to not waste money coz im too busy skating, something to do/talk about a way to make friends and keep fit and active...

it's alot of things to me, at the moment the best way i can spend my spare time is going skating and coming home having a smoke and talking about going skating the next day..

it's all i think about these days..

It allows me to burn some off energy and chill with my homies!
    She was like OWWW, I was like OWW, i am like GOD, call me Based god! - lil b

oh you know, just the usual:
    life.
    study, smoke, skate.

God

Love and freedom.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    skateboarding to me is the thing to look forward to each weekend, a way to de-stress, a way to not waste money coz im too busy skating, something to do/talk about a way to make friends and keep fit and active...

it's alot of things to me, at the moment the best way i can spend my spare time is going skating and coming home having a smoke and talking about going skating the next day..

it's all i think about these days..
    EXACTLY THIS! Down to the smoke at the end of the day

Oh.My.GLOB

Skateboarding is cake. The cake is a lie.
    "Hail Caesarean"

According my knowledge that skateboarding can be considered a recreational activity, an art form, a job, or a method of transportation.It is an act of riding and performing tricks using a skateboard.A skateboard is a board that looks like a small snowboard with four wheels on the bottom. The athlete starts by placing one foot on the board and using the other to push the board forward.