New to photography

Thread: New to photography

Default New to photography

Im a skater right now and want to start doing photography. I have 200$ right now but ill have about 800-1000$ by June. Please help me pick out a starter camera and everything i might need please. Thanks.

I would personally start with the Nikon D40, its an awesome starter camera, takes amazing pictures, and its fairly cheap. The starter lens that comes with it is an awesome lens, and perfect for just starting out. And also pick up probably a 1GB memory card or more depending on how many pictures you plan on taking. And if you want, you could pick up a few books on the camera body so you can familiarize yourself with all the buttons and what each mode does, etc etc.

I started about four years ago with a D40. Everything the previous guy said is right. I put about 20,000 shutter exposures through that camera before I upgraded. It's durable enough, and the starter lens does 18mm, which is great for upclose or ground shots.

That being said, 4 years ago the camera could be had for about 400 bucks at BB. Amazon is selling if for 550? The lens is slightly better, for low light shots..

But, you can get a d90 with an even better lens that also shoots video for about 900 bucks. Also, feels a lot meatier when you hold it...

Oh, and you can get a fast 50mm lens for real cheap for these cameras, definitely suggest that.

I don't understand why people omit bridge cameras so much.
    I have a Nikon p500 which is great for a starter camera. It's not an DSLR or anything. The whole thing cost around 300.
    It's got a great zoom lens x36 telephoto. Shutter speeds ranging from 8 secs up to 1/1500 and f2.4 to f8.0.
    If you want filters or new lenses you can get a lens adapter for around 15, and then the filters for however much you find them (e.g second hand) that's really cheap and it's an awesome way to make you understand photography, composition, the rule of thinrds and all that ****.
    If I were you I wouldn't just look at the SLR, as these can be expensive, especially for someone that is starting off.

Just my thoughts anyway.
    'When music hits me, I feel no pain'. -Bob Marley

The best camera for under $200 is the Canon A550

* 7.1 Megapixel
    * 4X Optical Zoom
    * Very good photo quality, noise levels low through ISO 400 (in good light)
    * Well built for the price
    * Very good performance
    * LCD visible in low light
    * Some manual controls
    * AF-assist lamp, good low light focusing
    * Good movie and continuous shooting modes
    * Impressive software bundle
    * Uses AA batteries; great battery life
    * USB 2.0 High Speed support
    Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    White Carbon Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    Green Vantage Elite 40-50# SpiralX 31" draw

http://www.sencart.com/Supply-camera_c76

Global Moderator

I'd go with a Canon Rebel XT or XTi. Setups run for like barely $400 now, and i'll just let my pictures do the talking: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39414003@N04/

Retired Staff

If you're serious about it and know you'll stick with shooting photos then don't get "a starter camera". If you can afford a nice camera and some nice glass then do it. When you decide you want to upgrade you'll have a hard time selling your old gear most likely and that'll put you behind on what you want next. Trust me, i've done it with camcorders. Also, don't be afraid to buy used stuff, save a lot of money and a lot of the time the stuff is near perfect anyway

Kill your brain

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If you're serious about it and know you'll stick with shooting photos then don't get "a starter camera". If you can afford a nice camera and some nice glass then do it. When you decide you want to upgrade you'll have a hard time selling your old gear most likely and that'll put you behind on what you want next. Trust me, i've done it with camcorders. Also, don't be afraid to buy used stuff, save a lot of money and a lot of the time the stuff is near perfect anyway
    This guy knows whats up^ (how many cameras have you owned now? lolz)

Buy nice or buy twice.
    wubwub

яussian

I would stay away from old DSLRs (XT, D40) as you can get much better quality in a newer DSLR for a similar price. Plus, DSLRs have limited shutter exposures. The older you go, the more likely it is to die on you sooner.

As for brands, I personally use Pentax because they're cheapest and offer the most features for the price, but for compatibility and availability you might want a Canon or Nikon as they are the most popular. Choosing is simply left up to your personal preference. Try and hold a few cameras at a Best Buy or something, see what you like most.

Of course, most everything depends on the glass you buy, so you'll need to factor that into your budget. The starter 18-55 kit lens that comes with every entry DSLR is decent, but not great.
    Last edited by Nitro; 06-08-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by andius View Post
    This guy knows whats up^ (how many cameras have you owned now? lolz)

Buy nice or buy twice.
    Im on my 6th one haha, finally got an hvx<3

Buy a used Nikon D90 or something similar, and invest in really good glass! I bought my D90 in late 2009, and I'm shooting paid jobs with it today.