"Religion" is poison
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Religion" is poison

Default "Religion" is poison

So I was hanging out with a friend of mine the other day and he said that Religion is everything wrong with the world. Of course after that he went on about the terrible things that have been done in the name of Christianity and Islam. This got me thinking. It seems like when atheists speak out against religion, they're not actually speaking out against religion in general, just Christianity and Islam. They conveniently leave out the rest of the religions of the world that (as far as I know, except maybe a few small instances) never really hurt anybody.

Hindus believe that we're all exactly where we're supposed to be. So killing non-believers would be pointless.

Sikhs believe that we're all heading toward the same direction regardless of our beliefs. Again, converting people or killing non-believers is ultimately pointless.

Jainists don't like to kill any living thing. They even where masks over their mouths as to not kill germs by inhaling them!

The only people Taoists have ever killed were themselves from ingesting toxic substances while trying to find something that will make them live forever.

In Buddhism, if you're a "non-believer", they don't see you as damned, just not quite as happy as them.

Confucianism: Just work hard and respect people and shake your head at people who don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, 9 out of 10 times, when someone speaks out against "religion" it's really against a certain 2 religions out of a ton more.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotMoon147 View Post

Hindus believe that we're all exactly where we're supposed to be. So killing non-believers would be pointless.

Sikhs believe that we're all heading toward the same direction regardless of our beliefs. Again, converting people or killing non-believers is ultimately pointless.

One of the craziest psychos I ever had to work with in college was a Sikh extremist.

Given the level of tension between Hindus and Sikhs I have difficulty believing that we can categorize anyone as peaceful or dangerous based on the brand of koolaid. The vast majority of Hindu's and Sikhs I know are the most peaceful and loving individuals around. In spite of that, the arms race between India and Pakistan is probably the most like trigger for Armageddon anywhere. Just like everywhere else, it seems that the whack jobs are also the control freaks that end up in command of things simply because that is their nature.. bully that which you don't understand and fear..

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    One of the craziest psychos I ever had to work with in college was a Sikh extremist.

Given the level of tension between Hindus and Sikhs I have difficulty believing that we can categorize anyone as peaceful or dangerous based on the brand of koolaid. The vast majority of Hindu's and Sikhs I know are the most peaceful and loving individuals around. In spite of that, the arms race between India and Pakistan is probably the most like trigger for Armageddon anywhere. Just like everywhere else, it seems that the whack jobs are also the control freaks that end up in command of things simply because that is their nature.. bully that which you don't understand and fear..
    Yeah, I agree. It's not so much religion controlling people and turning them into hate-mongers, it's just the way those people are in the first place.

I actually didn't know about India and Pakistan having an arms-race. Learn something new every day!

just for the record: Buddhism isn't a religion, its a phylosophy

and its not so that we're against religion in itsself, as far as I'm concerned anyone can believe what they want as long as they don't bother others with it.

what I am against, is the way some religions are imposed by their leaders & fanboys and the brainwashing that goes hand in hand with it; its not coz you believe in deity X that you shouldn't be allowed to use your common sense.

eg: when something good happens, its a miracle; when something bad happens, god works in mysterious ways...
    GG Allin was here...

I don't know if there is a God or not. This life has not shown me enough to determine that. I find it beyond my belief though that this life here on earth is the be all and end all.

I personally believe we don't have the time here to be thinking about the next life. We are put here for our purpose, whatever it may be and that is enough for us to concentrate on for now in this lifetime.

I'm quite content to just do the best I can here and we'll find out what happens when we cark it.

There are so many belief systems claiming to have the answer and I'll put wages on it that none of them are even close to correct by a long shot. If there is something beyond here then it would be something that our feeble little brains have no chance of comprehending.

And agreed. Buddhism is a philosophy. I attend workshops at the centre up the road from time to time when they relate to topics of my intrest. I am always welcomed and walk out more enlightened as to the working of the self rather than what lies beyond my perceptions.

I do believe that Atheism has become a religion in itself these days too.

Whether god is real or not, people seem to forget that they're supposed to live their life, and not discuss what they are doing in the next...if there even is one, they seem to take life for granted, because until it's proven that there is a life beyond ours, then you should surely be thinking about how to make the most of your time here on earth, especially if you're young, i'm happy being a student, going out, spending time with my girfriend, getting drunk, skating, and playing music
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

So I was hanging out with a friend of mine the other day and he said that Religion is everything wrong with the world. Of course after that he went on about the terrible things that have been done in the name of Christianity and Islam. This got me thinking. It seems like when atheists speak out against religion, they're not actually speaking out against religion in general, just Christianity and Islam. They conveniently leave out the rest of the religions of the world that (as far as I know, except maybe a few small instances) never really hurt anybody.
    Speaking only for myself, I go on about christianity because I know the most about christianity. I'm fairly sure christianity isn't unique, but without more knowledge of the other religions, I'd prefer not to spout off.

I think for those of us living in North America, this is probably the primary factor.

If having a belief system has enriched and improved someones life then by all means. Go for it. Any form of religion and taken to the extreme is certain "poison". On a sane level it makes the world so much more colourful.

Supreme Member

I posted a video in the other thread about the fact that maybe the difference between us and chimps isn't all that great. We like to think it is, but it's probably not. It's something like 1% difference in the DNA from being dumb as a chimp and launching the hubble telescope. So if we go 1% different again in the same direction(chimp > human > ??? ). How smart would they be? Maybe quantum mechanics would do intuitive for their toddlers.
    With this idea in mind I find it EXTREMELY SILLY to assume that we humans have figured it out. That some religion we thought of is going to be even remotely correct.
    How isn't religion a poison when it teaches that we have figured it out. A religion has people just sitting on their butt all day and beg for a bowl of rice every day(Buddhism) and another religion has us pretending we eat the flesh and drink the blood of another man(Christianity)
    Not a poison you say? LOL

FuturePrimitive

That's true, McCrank. One of the things I can't stand about organized religion is it is inherently condescending. The missionaries come to the door and assume a tone of superiority as if they know better than the one answering the door. The preacher literally gets up on a high horse and talks down to everyone. It's offensive.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Confucianism is also philosophy, which if it is to be mentioned Taoism and Legalism should as well. But actually never mind because this is about religion.

McCrank you sound almost as bad as someone who spews their religion. You could just not give a ****.

Back to religion, I think it has helped a lot of people, and hurt just as many. What I'm worried about most right now is Israel and Iran, I wish we weren't so damn involved over there. We get out of Iraq and start to get out of Afghanistan and now some other crazy war involving nuclear power is potentially going to break out because the Muslims and Jews can't trust each other. Now that pisses me off. That people from America have been dying, and still are, have to because of other place's problems.

Religion can cause some ****ed up things but it also helps a lot of people and makes them feel comfortable myself NOT included. I think the people look up to the preacher, rather than him look down upon them. Teachers on the other hand..

If you thought you had something great would you not try to share it? Pretty gay way to think about it honestly but thats probably how they feel. Maybe. Benefit of the doubt. Anyways, to each their own.
    "If you fill your bowl too much, it will spill." - Lao Tzu

Supreme Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    You could just not give a ****.
    That is correct.

Jainists don't like to kill any living thing. They even where masks over their mouths as to not kill germs by inhaling them!

The only people Taoists have ever killed were themselves from ingesting toxic substances while trying to find something that will make them live forever.

In Buddhism, if you're a "non-believer", they don't see you as damned, just not quite as happy as them.

Confucianism: Just work hard and respect people and shake your head at people who don't.

I recall reading an article on the dark history of religions, and all of those including Buddhism had some wretched pasts. There is no such thing as bad religions, only bad people within certain religions.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahHelfman View Post
    There would be a trick called a boner. you just kickflip and in mid air... POP GOES THE WHEEZLE! Youd just pull a boner out of nowhere.

Oh.My.GLOB

religion is poisson?

"Hail Caesarean"

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    religion is poisson?

No, no. Religion is POISON

Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

Supreme Member

I feel bad for that fish because it always get caught in tentacles.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    religion is poisson?
    Fixed ;-)

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Faxed ;-)

There we go, foxed that for you.

So, where were we? Oh yeah, religion is Poseidon.

"Hail Caesarean"

syrup sipper

No religion is poon it's obvious

Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

Oh.My.GLOB

this woman seems to think i don't have much of an appetite.

she be wrong. dead wrong.
    "Hail Caesarean"