Do you think vert skating will ever come back? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think vert skating will ever come back?

I was never interested in vert; both bowls and pipes. I do think its more dangerous though, but watching it is boring to me.

FuturePrimitive

The "boring" criticism is a common one. However, I think if you just think of it as skateboarding, and consider the height of the airs the pros throw down...it's always impressive. Airs over the coping require a big clanking steel pair of juevos.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Noj View Post
    The "boring" criticism is a common one. However, I think if you just think of it as skateboarding, and consider the height of the airs the pros throw down...it's always impressive. Airs over the coping require a big clanking steel pair of juevos.
    And then they add a disaster to the re-entry

If you think it's boring try doing the flip tricks you can do easily on flat on vert to spice it up.

I love watching vert, street, bowl and freestyle. i don't understand how any of it is boring.

music i like http://www.last.fm/user/phenga
    Tree House Fun Club

thats so true man, I'm about the only one who does my airs fully over the coping at our pool, and the kids (well, everyone) are always impressed by it for some reason. its really not that hard, you just gotta stay on the board till you feel your back truck bouncing off the coping, grab, enjoy hang time (this is the fun part imo), re-entry, enjoy applause; on the other hand, I never managed to do a kickflip so I guess its each to their own

my wife, little girl & me went to this contest last year where there was street and vert; they were both bored to death after watching the street comp for over 5 minutes, but were glued to their seats when the vert comp started, specially when Andy Mc, Lester Kasai and Co were going for the "highest air" part of the comp

I'll watch a millerflip over a kickflip any time of the week (anyway, this is just my opinion)
    GG Allin was here...

Speed Junkie

Pedro is most definitely Vert skating one need only see his StaleFish Last year at Bondi Bowlarama to understand that...
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

"Vert" riding never died. I can't see the fun in trying to flip your board 1000 times just to see if you can land one!!! I learned to skate on half pipes, ramps and bowls and at 48 I am still riping it. Only diference is that I don't to air anymore, self preservation I guess, but I can grind and carve just fine. To me bowl riding has many similarities to surfing. The best summers of my life I spent the mornings surfing and the afternoons on a skateboard...man that was the life. I guess at this point in my life I can't see myself trying to learn all those street tricks, my legs and ankles are not what they used to be. Bowl riding is the life for me. I get an immense sense of accomplishment everytime I feel those tiles roll under my wheels and that vibration when I grind the coping...Yeah that's the ticket!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    I was never interested in vert; both bowls and pipes. I do think its more dangerous though, but watching it is boring to me.
    This is what I always thought when I started skating, but bowl skating is so much fun when you do it, pumping round, stalls and grinds, it is a very fun part of skating, it's boring until you learn how fun it is and how much skill is involved
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

Bowls and pools seem to be coming gradually back into style. You know it when Thrashers SOTY is young and rips tranny like a mad crunt.

I like Vert skating, it is also known as ramp skating and park skating, is the style that receives the most media attention.

Supreme Member

I find vert boring to watch, always have. But it is more interesting to watch for people outside of skateboarding. Going big is always more popular with the crowd because they don't know the technical stuff about the tricks. They don't care about a 360 flip over a hip. They cheer for a simple air in a vert ramp. Since it's often competitions it's a lot clearer who did the best with vert ramp. Have a non-skateboarder watch a street comp, he/she won't know who did the best. With vert the same person can at least get 1 of the top 3 right.

Didn't even know it died. I have a vert in the park close by, and there are usually alot of people riding it. Of course there isn't as many though beacuse of the fact that you need to have it close as some mentioned.

Seeing that the Pro-Tec Pool Party is the biggest contest of the year, and it's true vert, I'd say yes: It's back and hungry. The guys right now are going so large, it's comedy. Lots of padless people working great street tricks on vert, but the guys with pads are going the biggest...gnarlyiest (yes, that's a word now, choose your spelling). Look at the top ten pro riders in the contest for example.

Vert is mad fun and scary.

Bowls are fun. Not a bunch of tech skill needed. Just some guts and some speed. But like all of skating iys a matters of personal style and taste. To each his or her own.

Its kinda coming back. Look at Bucky Lasek and Tom Schaar. They were amazing at X games.

I think vert never died out but just was ignored but the Ryan Shecklers that have invaded skateboarding. I learned to skater in Ramps bowls and pools, In the the 90's it was all about street skating in the cities but everything comes full circle in time

Sail Hatan.

I want freestyle to come back.

evil vibes

vert is still super fun. but ya it is sorta limited
    Above the lakes, above the vales,
    The mountains and the woods, the clouds, the seas,
    Beyond the sun, beyond the ether,
    Beyond the confines of the starry spheres,
    My soul, you move with ease

Never really liked vert skating.

I did start to get pretty good on my friends mini pipe. I mean it's fun and everything...but ultimately it just bores me.lol.
    My Setup:
    ~Baker 7.75~~Thunder Cole Lights Low~~Spitfire Street Burners 99D 52mm~~Black Magic grip~