Helmets... whats wrong with them? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmets... whats wrong with them?

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    The biggest problem that I have is the sweat, it gets ridiculous and in my eyes, which kinda burns. If they made a helmet with A/C I'd be all over that thing
    I don't skate much when it is really hot and humid anymore. Might bomb hill, but that's about it. I suspect eventually more kids will be wearing helmets. Look how long it took the NHL players to accept them. When I was a teenager I saw a game where the goal tender played without a helmet and without a mask. It took several decades for helmets to become the norm in pro hockey. All of the same objections and reservations listed through every helmet thread on the internets were raised by the players over and over.. Hot, blocks vision, harder to hear, restrictive, not that protective, etc.. Now, about 10 years after 100% adoption there aren't any players that say they'd prefer to play without them..

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Quote Originally Posted by Toph View Post
    The biggest problem that I have is the sweat, it gets ridiculous and in my eyes, which kinda burns. If they made a helmet with A/C I'd be all over that thing
    Not quite AC, but it keeps the sweat out of your eyes. This is the helmet I got. Love it.

http://www.triple8.com/shop/product/...eatsaver-Liner

Going to post my helmet for poops and giggles.
     click to show
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

I refuse
    我很好,也我们不是

Not wearing a helmet is kind of like driving in a car without a seat belt. Either you want to risk it, or you don't.

If people want to risk their lives, (or permanent damage, etc) then that should be their choice. But, Parker is going to wear a helmet. He's 7, so I don't think he's old enough to make those decisions himself. He's not complaining so far, and I'm hoping that if he's getting used to wearing one now, he'll keep in the habit.

I also think it's more important to wear them when skating on ramps and stuff and going faster speeds. If you're just doing tricks and stuff, I'm sure the chances of head injuries is a lot less.

I understand the logic of wearing a helmet, and why people actually do, but I just dont want to wear them
    我很好,也我们不是

Speed Junkie

one thing I do like about Helmet rules at the park. push comes to shove all the skaters have a helmet but mst of the BMXicans don't
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettobirds View Post
    I understand the logic of wearing a helmet, and why people actually do, but I just dont want to wear them
    You just choose to live more dangerously..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettobirds View Post
    Actually thats something I would like to hear from most skaters. A lot of kids (even adults) don't understand the consequences of not wearing a helmet, and eventually they may learn to regret it. I'm just trying to state the facts, so that people will make an informed decision, and not regret it later on. But at the end of the day, its their choice to wear a helmet or not.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Yep, not willing to endure a little minor discomfort and teasing to slightly lower the already slim chance that your parents or spouse might have to wipe the dung off your invalid vegetable butt and clean the pee off your bed for the next 40 years until the infections from the festering bed sores finally kill you.

In skiing and hockey the initial objections were at least 90% about image and reputation rather than any actual discomfort or performance limitations.

Speed Junkie

Most people's comfort issues with helmets would be solved by trying on more than 1-2 that their local shop has had on the wall for the last 5-10 years...

In the last 5 years I have gone through 3 helmets....each has been progressively more comfortable I love the Bern I have now. My head doesn't fit a protec ace nor any of the 888's along with a bunch of other helmets I tried on while searching for a replacement for my dead S-One 2 weeks ago. It really nice not to have to wear a bandanna in order to keep my helmet from moving around

I've always just worn a helmet whether on a skateboard or a bike. Guess what- I've worn pads too, and I'm planning on buying padded shorts and a padded shirt for the park this summer.

I really don't care what people think, it's going to keep me skating while others are injured. If someone chooses not to wear pads, that is their choice and I have nothing against it. However, I have found that more intelligent people (the ones either attending a university or working a respectable job) wouldn't dare skate without a helmet while the non-helmet wearers are the ones that wear tight jeans and baggy shirts smoking a joint behind the halfpipe. If you don't wear a helmet, you have nothing to protect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahHelfman View Post
    There would be a trick called a boner. you just kickflip and in mid air... POP GOES THE WHEEZLE! Youd just pull a boner out of nowhere.

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoc23 View Post
    I've always just worn a helmet whether on a skateboard or a bike. Guess what- I've worn pads too, and I'm planning on buying padded shorts and a padded shirt for the park this summer.

I really don't care what people think, it's going to keep me skating while others are injured. If someone chooses not to wear pads, that is their choice and I have nothing against it. However, I have found that more intelligent people (the ones either attending a university or working a respectable job) wouldn't dare skate without a helmet while the non-helmet wearers are the ones that wear tight jeans and baggy shirts smoking a joint behind the halfpipe. If you don't wear a helmet, you have nothing to protect.
    I take massive issue with this generalisation. It is a disgusting and sweeping statement that undermines your sentiment of respecting choice "oh, yeah I respect choice- but the people who choose the opposite path from me are clearly inferior, ignorant specimens.

Though obviously my not wearing a helmet and living in a plastic bubble has reduced my opinion to nothing but the jabberings of a drooling retard to your mind.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Speed Junkie

Its not intelligence...... The most intelligent people I have ever known were extremely lacking in common sense. Just because someone is a genius doesn't mean they are smart enough to not get hurt doing something simple

You have to weigh out the potential risk.

I've been skating for what seems like forever, without any head injuries, broken bones etc... So naturally, I don't wear a helmet. The risk just isn't great enough for me to justify wearing one.

It's for this same reason that I don't wear a helmet when I'm just walking down the street.

Speed Junkie

that's not how risk actually works...ask an insurance adjuster and he will tell you that the longer the time/period between "events" the more significant the the intensity of the event. Whether the EVENT in question is an earthquake, a hurricane, a motorcycle crash or a skate bail. Sooner or later if you continue a behavior there will be a catastrophic event how you survive that event is entirely contingent on how you prepare for it.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    that's not how risk actually works...ask an insurance adjuster and he will tell you that the longer the time/period between "events" the more significant the the intensity of the event. Whether the EVENT in question is an earthquake, a hurricane, a motorcycle crash or a skate bail. Sooner or later if you continue a behavior there will be a catastrophic event how you survive that event is entirely contingent on how you prepare for it.

This is exactly true. The longer you roll a die and don't roll a 6, the more likely it becomes that your next toss will be a 6.

Quote Originally Posted by phlap View Post
    It's for this same reason that I don't wear a helmet when I'm just walking down the street.
    Live long enough and pretty much everyone will be seriously injured walking across a parking lot or down the sidewalk. Ask any 80 year old when the last time they fell and got hurt was. Natasha Richardson died because she slipped and fell just standing on skis talking to her instructor. She didn't even realize she had been seriously injured, refused to accept any help or go to the hospital, then stroked out in her hotel room a couple hours later.

Odds are slim that someone young and experienced will get hurt just riding around not doing any big drops or difficult tricks. But, one konk on the head might seem like nothing then flood your brain with blood 6 hours later. All I can say is that if it happens to me (I don't always wear a helmet just messing around out front), I hope to God I die instead of survive as a vegetable.

I do always wear a helmet in the park or skiing anywhere. Skiing and the park add the dimension of being taken out from behind blindsided by some other idiot. Doesn't really matter how good and sure footed you are if some idiot blasts in to you from behind out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    This is exactly true. The longer you roll a die and don't roll a 6, the more likely it becomes that your next toss will be a 6.
    Nope. You always have a 1 in 6 chance.

This is not the same as saying, if you roll a dice 3 times, you still only have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a 6, but rather, that each individual dice roll will have the same 1/6th of a chance or rolling a 6.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phlap View Post
    Nope. You always have a 1 in 6 chance.
    "The longer you roll a die without rolling a 6 the more likely the next roll will be a 6". Absolutely true.
    If you've rolled 5 times and not gotten a 6 the odds that the next roll be a 6 seem like 1 in 6 but you've already rolled 5 of those 6 so the odds are actually dead on.

Speed Junkie

yeah I know it doesn't make sense until you take probability and statistics....then you realize why math makes the world go round

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    "The longer you roll a die without rolling a 6 the more likely the next roll will be a 6". Absolutely true.
    If you've rolled 5 times and not gotten a 6 the odds that the next roll be a 6 seem like 1 in 6 but you've already rolled 5 of those 6 so the odds are actually dead on.
    no, because the dice has no memory and rolling a number previously doesn't exclude it from the pool of possibility (not probability)

that said over a protracted series of rolls, it will even out eventually.

i thoroughly believe that there is a serious level of condescension coming from the "safety conscious" individuals. these anecdotal horror stories are the stuff of insurance advisor campfire circles and pads don't protect against breaks (wrist guards increase the severity of breaks when implicated for example) and helmets are not nearly as safe as being purported regardless of how you champion them.
    "Hail Caesarean"