Helmets... whats wrong with them? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Helmets... whats wrong with them?

Oh.My.GLOB

it is an individuals responsibility to make informed decisions.
    "Hail Caesarean"

:)

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I used to do most of these things
    Strike 1- Skating without a helmet
    Strike 2- Skating under the influence of alcohol
    Strike 3- Being towed behind a motor vehicle (with operator also drinking alcohol)

All through college my best friend towed me behind his KZ 1000 across campus almost every day. We took a lot of the same classes. He wore a helmet but I didn't.
    Looking back, I'm not that surprised that I never crashed and got hurt doing it. I am surprised that we never got hassled by campus cops or faculty over it. The early 80s were a special time I guess.

Police: Store owner sold beer to teen who died in skateboard crash

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy
    ****ing drink drivers

Gravity Slave Moderator

Odds are you aren't going to be that guy that ends up living a pile of pile of poo and being fed through a tube for 40 years. But, after you've known a couple people that were "that guy" one usually begins to take extra precautions beyond simply feeling comfortable with the odds.

Oh.My.GLOB

that's it though, we're not at odds with the odds, i, personally, am well aware of the risks and have witnessed the other side of it first hand.

my point will always remain that wearing a skate helmet is scant protection beyond abrasive injury and are unlikely to prevent the most common traumatic brain injuries due to the lack of protection of the brain stem and impact force to the various lobes is not really reduced enough by compressed foam and plastic clipped around your chin.

as it is, i'd be much more concerned about neck injury than head injury as a skateboarder
    "Hail Caesarean"

Speed Junkie

you keep saying brain stem injury....have you ever seen a brain stem injury skateboarding? That's usually common at speeds that even downhillers don't normally reach. Since I started skating I've seen about a dozen serious cranial impacts about half of them were folks wearing a helmet, none had a brain stem risk
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    my point will always remain that wearing a skate helmet is scant protection beyond abrasive injury and are unlikely to prevent the most common traumatic brain injuries due to the lack of protection of the brain stem and impact force to the various lobes is not really reduced enough by compressed foam and plastic clipped around your chin.

as it is, i'd be much more concerned about neck injury than head injury as a skateboarder
    You could pose an argument for motorcycle helmets not protecting a person's brain stem at 60+ miles an hour, but that is an absolutely outrageous claim that even the largest stair sets skateboarders clear poses even a non-negligible risk of brain stem injury. I have never heard a death from a skateboarding brain stem injury, but there are hundreds of skateboarding deaths from brain injuries.

Your arguments are entirely illogical. I have had a helmet save me from many potentially disastrous falls. This post makes it seem as you would rather not have a helmet on in the event of a fall. If you don't want to wear a helmet while skateboarding, most would be fine with someone saying it's uncomfortable or unstylish. I'm not fine with idealists stating their opinion as fact without credible resources to back their opinions. Idealists lie, but pragmatism through facts, statistics, and history do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahHelfman View Post
    There would be a trick called a boner. you just kickflip and in mid air... POP GOES THE WHEEZLE! Youd just pull a boner out of nowhere.

Dont need a helmet cause I land everything
    我很好,也我们不是

Gravity Slave Moderator

DBS, respect your right to choice, and your opinion on most things science related. Not so sure on this topic though.

I know several doctors that skate or ski, one is an ER neurosurgeon. They all wear helmets, and all say what's out there is better than nothing in just about every fall scenario they've seen. They all say they've seen several injuries and a few deaths where they believe a helmet would have been really effective or life saving.

Finding peer reviewed journal articles saying that helmets are better than nothing at preventing head injuries is pretty easy. I have yet to see one that claims that helmets usually do more harm than good.

Fact is, a fall is often unpredicted and you just don't know what side of your head you may land on when out of control.. The worst ones are that pebble that you never saw and hit while looking at something else.

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post

Fact is, a fall is often unpredicted and you just don't know what side of your head you may land on when out of control.. The worst ones are that pebble that you never saw and hit while looking at something else.
    ahh I hate stop rocks

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoc23 View Post
    You could pose an argument for motorcycle helmets not protecting a person's brain stem at 60+ miles an hour, but that is an absolutely outrageous claim that even the largest stair sets skateboarders clear poses even a non-negligible risk of brain stem injury. I have never heard a death from a skateboarding brain stem injury, but there are hundreds of skateboarding deaths from brain injuries.

Your arguments are entirely illogical. I have had a helmet save me from many potentially disastrous falls. This post makes it seem as you would rather not have a helmet on in the event of a fall. If you don't want to wear a helmet while skateboarding, most would be fine with someone saying it's uncomfortable or unstylish. I'm not fine with idealists stating their opinion as fact without credible resources to back their opinions. Idealists lie, but pragmatism through facts, statistics, and history do not.
    I don't appreciate being called a liar, nor an idealist when my opinions are well informed. Also, as it happens, statistics and history do lie, but that is way off subject.

NoSwitch, it is very hard to find those journals, but true to my track record I will hunt them out as required. The fact is that the peer review system is highly suspect anyway, but that is a topic for areas other than the official dice discussion thread
    "Hail Caesarean"

syrup sipper

I feel like DBS is just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point haha
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

Oh.My.GLOB

I love a good argument, but I also like being afforded a little respect in the rebuttal of my opinion :P

journals aside, i think i am pretty much done now anyway, this is going around in circles (on both sides) and nothing short of brain damage is going to change either mind... i stand by my point that helmets, particularly those used in skateboarding, are not nearly as safe as we as a public are led to believe. a conclusion i have reached through my own experience and research in the field of medicine and neurology/neuroscience coupled with work done in biophysics etc. rather than relying on anecdotal evidence.

back to the religion section for me!
    "Hail Caesarean"

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    i stand by my point that helmets, particularly those used in skateboarding, are not nearly as safe as we as a public are led to believe.
    I don't think anyone would disagree with the notion that what's currently out there isn't a silver bullet panacea and not anywhere near as good as they could be... especially if we toss out comfort and weight as important considerations for the consumer. Look at what's happening in the NFL now, they have some of the best helmets money and research can put together and they are turning dementia 90 at age 50 due to long term damage effects.

What most do agree is that what is available is frequently better than nothing for many (or at least some) head contact scenarios. Better than nothing, and just in case is the main argument here. I don't like to wear them when it is hot at all. I avoid the park on those days. But, I pretty much always wear one skiing now. And, I want my kid to see me wearing it when we ski/set an example. Lots of potential for collisions with other (usually out of control) riders adds a lot more danger and uncertainty to the equation there.

Oh.My.GLOB

The NFL is an interesting example, as a group I have exchanged data with are looking at alternatives to the standard helmet model, using novel thick fluids as a means to ripple impact through the helmet (and thusly around the head) instead of just absorbing it dead on. thus reducing the detriment of a career seemingly centred around blows to the head (such as nfl).
    "Hail Caesarean"

How the hell has this thread gone on for 134 replies? :/
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by discolemonade4 View Post
    How the hell has this thread gone on for 134 replies? :/

syrup sipper

But what are the odds of rolling a 6???
    Back 3 kickflip?

I'm in the 550 ballin, you know
    If you high like the sky I'm above pluto

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    But what are the odds of rolling a 6???
    I've decided the odds are better at roulette.

Should I wear my helmet today? Will it save my brain in a fall?

Supreme Member

This isnt related to skateboarding, but I saw 2 girls riding bicycles. I guess they were exercing cause they were dressed as if they were gonna ride a bike for ages. They were also wearing helmets. So I thought to myself why do they go through all the trouble with comfortable clothes only to put an uncomfortable helmet on. I've been riding a bike all my life. I'm 25 and I don't own a car and I ride a bike everywhere. To the post office to pick up a huge package that probably weighs 50kg? No problem! I just have it rest on the handlebars. Bicycling like it's Tour de France with it on barely seeing anything.
    I have yet to fall off my bike and hit my head or hit anything for that matter.
    But then I was thinking. Yeah maybe you dont really need a helmet riding a bike based on your own skill and awareness. But you are not alone out there. Other people are morons and they will crash into you eventually. So a helmet might be a good idea.

Speed Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by McCrank View Post
    why do they go through all the trouble with comfortable clothes only to put an uncomfortable helmet on.
    If you are wearing an uncomfortable helmet you are doing it wrong...I have thrown away more uncomfortable helmets over the last 20 years than I can count on 2 hands. If it doesn't feel as comfortable as a hat don't buy it. There are plenty of helmet makers out there there has to be one that fits your head