How does one start bowl/pool skating?

Thread: How does one start bowl/pool skating?

Woot How does one start bowl/pool skating?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and skateboarding in general, but I've been longboarding for a while so I'm fairly comfortable riding a skateboard.

Lately I've been wanting to learn pool and bowl skating for winter time when I can't do downhill cus of snow and stuff...it just seems like something to keep me used to slopes, carving, and it sounds like a hell of a time.

I'm not too keen on tricks though, so I'm not sure if I'll have to get a different board or anything, maybe just new wheels (78-80a seems a bit soft for a skatepark)

Thanks for any tips

On a side note, I just sprained my ankle, any idea on how long I should wait before hopping on again?

psn=Stusiano

A wider board is better, and so are bigger wheels

I don't think using a longboard in the bowls would work out to well, but I do agree with Stu that a wider board is better. I would get a blank deck that is 8.5" wide with some indies stage 10 (149mm). Bones has a set of park wheels that are really good on smooth concrete. Also consider getting a bigger wheel than most skateboarders like 56mm+
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesht
    It's a skateboard, jesus you are dumb
    No I'm not.

I tend to say indies 169, almost everybody I know who skates pool here has em, bigger wheel basis = more speed with less effort. otherwise one gets tired pretty fast when riding pool. for wheels you need something along the lines of bones spf(or a different brand, as long as they're hard as ****) between 58 & 64mm and a deck of AT LEAST 8,5" (mine are always 10"). also since you longboard you're prolly used to very loose trucks,this is awesome in pools; with extremely loose trucks you can carve very brutally, only downside is...wheelbite (which you don't want when carving frontside at high speed ) I suggest you get 1/2" riser pads as well just to be on the safe side, I use em too with an extra thin one in between so my riser is about 13mm thick & I almost never get wheelbite.

here's how it looks then (don't look at the shape of the board, I'm old )

GG Allin was here...

Thanks for all the replies, I was figuring that I'd have to spend some money on this.

@mazonemayu: I actually like that shape for skateboards, they seem a lot more comfortable to stand on compared to average popsicle decks. What are those green things under your rails?

Also, just out of curiosity, how challenging would something like this be that only has experience with downhill and parking garages? I've never skated parks before, but I'd like to get into it since it's something that I've always wanted to try, but the idea of skating on a wall irks me ahaha

Yeah I skate pools all the time and I have a 8.25 Alien Workshop deck that works great in bowls, plus you can do everything with the regular shape. A longboard wont work in the pool, your gonna need something with a nose and a tail, plus something that isn't as long. (The green things are there to protect the graphic, some people like to have them)
    Its going to be completely different because your going to have to learn to pump up and down the walls, how to drop in, how to axle stall, how to skate backwards down a wall (if you want to rock to fakie), how to pump through bowl corners and many more things. It's a lot of fun though, it feels really natural like surfing.
    Here are some links that can help you get started
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...99867000333088
    - Fast forward to the miniramp part
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2maS6Rn5o
    - The present riders
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_US7h...eature=related
    - Some history
    Good luck! Hit me up if you have anymore questions!
    "Skating doesn't make you a skateboarder, not being able to stop skating, that makes you a skateboarder." -Lance Mountain
    If you're bored, check out my Youtube. Can't hurt right?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/ThatSkaterGuyy

rails indeed, they have a few functions, for one they make your board stronger and (this is more important) when you do something like a rock your deck lies far more stable on the coping than without em coz 2 rails create a straight line from point A (rail 1) to point B ( rail 2) on which you balance (compared to doing it on just the center part of a deck without rails, coz of the concave), also its way better for boardslides & stuff

as for the other question: yes, this is the only board I currently ride & I use it for everything: pools, parks, in my underground parking lot, transport on the streets (to work, shops, etc...). the only thing thats harder (but not impossible) to take compared to a longboard are cobbles, but thats only coz of the harder wheels...
    and as you say, these decks are more comfortable
    GG Allin was here...

Quote Originally Posted by mazonemayu View Post

This set-up is killer, man. I love it.

I also love that--and no disrespect to the dude, it just made me smile--the original poster asked what the green things were under the rails. Different world now. I don't have them on my board now, as I'm just skating an 8" popsicle deck, but the first few boards I owned as a lad were equipped.

Buy a wider board (wider the better) with trucks to match, big wheels, fast bearings and safety gear - then go skate a bowl.

I built this for pools/transition only:

8.7" Santa Cruz Eric Dressen Deck (OG shape)
    8.75" Independent 159 Trucks w/Bone medium bushings
    58mm wheels w/Bones swiss six bearings
    1/8" Indy rubber shock pads
    Last edited by Xen; 07-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Speed Junkie

these pictures sum up the pool/park boards I have skated over the last 5 years...I've gone through a number of the plain wood board at the bottom

Indy 169's
    +/- 9" board
    58mm-60mm wheels...
    shock pads to prevent wheelbite

that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Hmmm, what size wheel base would be too big? I was thinking of getting a longer board (maybe 32-35 inches) and has wheelbase that's 18-20 or so inches...Just so it's a bit closer to a longboard. But I would assume that a shorter wheelbase would be good for easier maneuverability.

As for wheels/truck selection I'll probably end up using independent trucks or randals...would rkp trucks be a bad idea for a pool setup?

Although one route I can go is through churchill or eastbilt and just get a blank deck then chop an old kryptonics board I have into a slalom deck. this will be the least expensive way, which will be helpful if bowl skating turns out to not be my thing.

Decisions, decisions.

Speed Junkie

a 35" board will give you an +18" WB but I hope you plan on skating open parks because it will fell like driving a bus....I feel that way at times and I'm a a 32" board with a 15" WB, Though at that length Randals will make it a bit more nimble RKP's aren't really a good choice for bowlriding. There is a reason that popsicles are so popular a 14-15" WB on a 30-33" x 7.5-9" board is pretty standard and although some people ride boards that look like something different looks are deceiving. Anything too far outside the norm is going to add to your difficulties
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

I think I'm gonna go with the "churchill techslide deck", it's 33.5x9x15.5wb, 161mm trucks, 56mm wheels,etc.

Also, I've been reading up a bit about skating bowls and see that a lot of people say pumping....is it the same thing as pumping for speed like in a slalom race? If it is, I think it would be pretty hard to do without wedging/dewedging the trucks.

Idk, it'll probably be a while now before I can get to a park, let alone have a setup suitable for pool skating...I'm pretty broke

Bigger boards tend to be more expensive

No the pumping is not the same for bowl skating its more of an up down motion than a side to side motion like the long distance skateboarders do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesht
    It's a skateboard, jesus you are dumb
    No I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritts View Post
    Bigger boards tend to be more expensive
    they're also more solid so either way you win
    GG Allin was here...

Indy 169mm truck like everyone said and a good 56-64mm wheel in a 95a is a good pool / bowl wheel

Quote Originally Posted by mazonemayu;1806997[IMG
    http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/antropomorphic/skate/DSC05748.jpg[/IMG]
    holy crap that's a sexy set up. Makes me want to pimp out the vintage McGill deck I got.