A Good Skateboard Deck Brand for a Beginner?

Thread: A Good Skateboard Deck Brand for a Beginner?

Default A Good Skateboard Deck Brand for a Beginner?

So I'm kinda new to skating and I'm looking for a good board to buy. I wanna use it for mostly tricks... Thanks for the help.

Sail Hatan.

*Mostly for tricks.

Just pick out what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    *Mostly for tricks.

Just pick out what you like.
    As in the design? So I'm guessing there isn't much of a difference between the quality of different branded decks?

Sail Hatan.

Quality doesnt matter when you are first starting out.

I'll letcha in on a little secret...

There is no discernible difference between pro deck brands. Just pick out a standard 7 ply hardrock maple deck and focus on what size and shape you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahHelfman View Post
    There would be a trick called a boner. you just kickflip and in mid air... POP GOES THE WHEEZLE! Youd just pull a boner out of nowhere.

its all down to personal preference, i'm just starting out again but i much prefer my enjoi deck to the birdhouse deck i have on my spare, and i used to have a flip deck that had wave construction and i hated that but it was my first pro deck that my parents bought me after i had been skating for a couple of years (they thought it was a phase lol)

get a good quality shop deck or a minilogo...I wouldn't get a top notch expensive setup if you're just starting because you're gonna beat the living hell out of that board.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

As MN_Mike said, do not spend too much money on a practice board if you are a beginner.

As you said you are a new in skating, so you should not take the expensive skateboard in the beginning. Rather you should buy a beginner skateboard of a good brand. And before buying any skateboard, you should read the skateboard reviews first. You can visit here for the skateboard deck reviews and skateboard deck brands.

Skate Pirate

5 years later...

Anyway, for the Googlebots and posterity, here's my take on things:

Visit a local skateshop...or some store that sells skateboards. Zumiez, even. Most preassembled completes (I'm thinking Darkstar, Golden Dragon, etc.) cut corners where they can to get the pricepoint down to something "acceptable" to beginners, which sucks because the corners that they cut (usually bearings, trucks, and bushings) are the most important parts of a skateboard. See what the shop can do to get you a deal on a complete; the shop I used to work in knocked off 10% if you assembled a complete from the parts that they sold, for example.

Buy trucks from an actual truck company, be it Venture, Indy, Tensor, Krux, Thunder, or any one of 1,000 other truck brands. If you go with a truck that's branded as a board brand (Element, Birdhouse, etc.) those are pretty generic, and probably come from the Far East. Actual truck brands have more thought and experience that go into their products.

Buy bearings separately; preassembled boards usually have grease-packed bearings, but bearings sold a'la carte usually have a lighter oil as lubrication. Greaseball bearings won't spin as freely, and are usually harder to maintain and clean. Oh, and for your first board, don't spend more than $25 on bearings. Bearings are wear parts that bear the brunt of the impact of skateboarding, and you'll probably replace the bearings if/when the wheels wear out. ABEC doesn't matter; those thousandths of an inch of precision are nullified the first time you put your weight on the board, let alone roll down a road with the board or do any sort of aerial maneuver.

If the shop will let you, get your feet on a board. Set a deck down on the carpet and see what feels best to you. Brand isn't important, as this is your first deck. Having something comfortable that you'll ride is important...if it's physically uncomfortable to ride, you won't ride it. If you won't ride it, you've just blown $150 on a garage decoration.

For all intents and purposes, wheels won't matter at this point either. As I've alluded to, the trucks are probably the most important part of the board...you'll also want good bearings, but "good" means something that isn't packed with grease. There's a world of great bearings that are priced between $10 and $25...no need to spend $40 or more on any Swiss Ceramic Uberbearings.

Also, there are no absolutes in skateboarding. All of the above is based on what I'd tell customers when they came into the shop I worked in looking for a board "just to learn skateboarding with."

God

Quote Originally Posted by Koshial View Post
    As you said you are a new in skating, so you should not take the expensive skateboard in the beginning. Rather you should buy a beginner skateboard of a good brand. And before buying any skateboard, you should read the skateboard reviews first. You can visit here for the skateboard deck reviews and skateboard deck brands.
    Hahaha i certainly hope the original poster wasnt holding his breath for this response for 5 years or he will never have skated

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up