My vans are already ripping up, normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My vans are already ripping up, normal?

Default My vans are already ripping up, normal?

Hi, I just go back into skating a year ago, and its summer now, so I skate a lot more, but too not hard.... all I'm doing are ollies and my shoe (one for my front foot) is already giving out after a month. Like the sewing that holds the panels together are no longer there.

I know its a noob question, but I never skated this much, so I'm wondering is this normal? Theyre suede vans eras.

Oh.My.GLOB

perfectly normal. eras are not skate shoes (ere pros are though)

a single layer of suede can't be expected to last that long, you're lucky to even get a month out of them.
    "Hail Caesarean"

I'm looking at a pair of vans hi-tops made from half suede, half canvas. do you know if those will last?

I really like vans, and have worn them forever. my feet are used to how they feel, so can you rec me a pair of vans that can take some thrashing? ...or anything else that feel similar.

I tried asking the guys at the local vans store, and he said half cabs are tough.

Vans Atwood. Those are some good vans shoes. And Half Cabs are awesome

Skating Is Good

thanks, good help guys

Vans Chukka Lows are really good. Some are made of Suede but a lot are also made of canvas. All skate shoes rip eventually, but suede lasts a little longer at least :P
    Last edited by gilby; 07-04-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Had 2 pairs of Vans in a row. Sure the stitching went but it still held together.

The soles on both of them however didn't last 2 months. From day one both of them rapidly started wearing down on the ball and heel of my foot. Soon there were big fat holes in the soles. Both shoes were genuine Vans products.

I'll give Vans a miss from now on.

Chukka lows are great, but if you say you're doing alot of ollies, they wont last you because they're stitched right in the ollie spot, so they'll fall apart and wont last that long. Atwoods are stitched in a way that are really resistant to tears. Era pros are also a very good shoe, if you apply shoe goo regularly, they should last you a good month and a half easily, skating 2-3 hours a day. Vans has a very wide selection of shoes, but I've had the best experiences with the three i've recommended you.

*Stay away from canvas. Suede lasts.
    我很好,也我们不是

Oh.My.GLOB

Spend money, get the black stage 4-mids. They last.
    "Hail Caesarean"

angry, young & beautiful

did dbs just give actual advice with no sarcastic undertone?
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Well, Parker is 7, and he is hard on shoes in general, even when not skating. He has had numerous types of Vans, and they always hold up really well with him. But, he's also not doing ollies or tricks. He just rides and does bank ramps. Just doing that, he doesn't wear them out very fast. I will continue to buy him Vans, just because he likes them, and they last longer than other brands. Once he starts doing more tricks and stuff, and gets older, we'll have to see what happens.

Supreme Member

I will keep saying this until everyone realise it's the way to go: RUBBER GLUE

SHOES WILL LAST FOREVER

But I don't know what the problem is. Shoes cost like 35-60 dollars? If I want the high demand shoes I have to shell out over twice that amount in Norway. Unless I order from the US, which I do.

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageSk8r View Post
    did dbs just give actual advice with no sarcastic undertone?
    I think the sarcasm was a little too subtle.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Wow, this forum is awesome and super active. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think when these eras die on me, I'll get atwoods or stage 4 (if someone explains whats so good about stage 4s).

I'm wearing Rowley SPVs right now, but not for skating because they look like they can rip after a few minutes.

I have a pair of these vans judges (cant post a pic of them until 15 posts...) from a year back and have only skated them a few times. I dont wanna ruin them cuz theyre pretty cool lol, but Im tempted to start using them. I just dont know how long they'll last for the price I paid.

Oh.My.GLOB

Basically the stage 4s retain the feel of a vulcanized shoe, while providing the longevity and support of a cupsole (basically vulcs feel great but wear out and are pretty bad for your feet where as cupsoles support you but feel is reduced. the stage 4 sole crosses that bridge)

couple that with the extra-durable upper of the stage 4 mids (the black gilbert crocket colorway feature this material) and you have a shoe that is just generally better than the peices of crap that call themselves skate shoes these days.
    "Hail Caesarean"

I've been skating a low top pair of chuck taylors and they're holding up great. I don't know if its the rubber toe or the quality of the soles but they're really holding up well. They've lasted way longer than any old skool vans I've ridden.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
    I've been skating a low top pair of chuck taylors and they're holding up great. I don't know if its the rubber toe or the quality of the soles but they're really holding up well. They've lasted way longer than any old skool vans I've ridden.
    Would you say the post Nike acquisition China Chucks hold up better than the pre Nike acquisition USA Chucks?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    Basically the stage 4s retain the feel of a vulcanized shoe, while providing the longevity and support of a cupsole (basically vulcs feel great but wear out and are pretty bad for your feet where as cupsoles support you but feel is reduced. the stage 4 sole crosses that bridge)

couple that with the extra-durable upper of the stage 4 mids (the black gilbert crocket colorway feature this material) and you have a shoe that is just generally better than the peices of crap that call themselves skate shoes these days.
    Ohh ok, so this is that wafflecup thing they were describing on the vans site for the stage 4's. They are indeed pricy, but I really just want to trust your info. Sounds legit.

I've tried a pair of chucks, and they seemed super tight, like literally too tight on my feet. Basically gave me a bad impression of them afterward, just me.
    Skating is fun, dog.

I wear Vans and mine usually last a month max. 2 weeks most of the time. Thank god I find them cheap.

Anyway, yeah, them shreading like that is completely normal. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    most of you guys on here are still living "the good ole days"-enjoy it while it lasts-you're dead a lot longer than you're alive...

Been skating Half Cabs for as long as I could remember. If I could fins a set of Vision Street wear mid tops I would skate those too