Cleaning bearings?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning bearings?

Default Cleaning bearings?

So i need to clean my bearings really bad. How should i clean them? I dont have a cleaning kit. Thanks!

Gravity Slave Moderator

Most people just buy new ones. I still use WD-40 against all recommendations here. Works fine for me.

Sail Hatan.

Not WD40.

Gravity Slave Moderator

WD 40 is a solvent works well to cut rust and free up clogged bearings (AKA "clean"). However, if you want them to stay fast longer you need to pop the covers off, rinse the excess WD 40 away with hot water, then grease them with lithium, silicone, or use some other kind of "lubricant". I've heard that sewing machine oil is actually pretty good.

Chillin'

I use Appliance Oil for shavers.

I pop the covers and soak them in a tin can with Gas in it over night. The next day the dry them out and use a lubricant with Teflon in it

If you buy bones swiss labyrinth, you will never need to clean them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonahHelfman View Post
    There would be a trick called a boner. you just kickflip and in mid air... POP GOES THE WHEEZLE! Youd just pull a boner out of nowhere.

evil vibes

I don't think I ever clean my bearings.

Just get a dry tissue or something of the sort and wipe it down if it'll let you sleep at night
    Above the lakes, above the vales,
    The mountains and the woods, the clouds, the seas,
    Beyond the sun, beyond the ether,
    Beyond the confines of the starry spheres,
    My soul, you move with ease

Nameless

i don't, i buy 10$ mini logos and spray break free clp into them every month or so until they fall apart.
    The last man on earth was sitting in his living room when he heard a knock at the door...

i've had the same set of bearings for three years, and rarely had to clean them. when you do, however, buy some kind of oil-penetrating, lubricating catalyst. it cleans out any dirt or grime, and then if you dry them properly, they should run as smoothly as they came out of the box.

Хой!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    i don't, i buy 10$ mini logos and spray break free clp into them every month or so until they fall apart.
    Yeah, that's what I do, too. With bearings that cheap, I don't bother to clean anything. Have 2 new sets waiting for me, bought them for even cheaper, too.

The best way to clean bearings (without buying a bearing cleaning kit) is to take them all apart. Depending on how far you want to go. You could just take the shields off...its easier..just takes a tad bit longer to clean, that's all.

This is only for bearings with a rubber shield like Bones. It's always best to get bearings with a rubber shield instead of the ones that are all metal. *dont buy all metal bearings*.

Get a Tupperware dish...fill it with a solvent..definitely make sure the solvent is *not* water based. Water+metal= rust.

I always used clear acetone.

and gently churn the dish with the bearings in there.

Keep changing the acetone until its perfectly clear.

Let dry for a good while after wiping down. Couple hours to be safe.

Then reassemble the bearings and lube them things up.

Speed Cream by Bones.

No...it's not a skateboard gimmick..Speed Cream truly is the best lubricant you can use for your bearings. I have tried basically every lubricant I could get my hands on.

As for bearing that are all metal...well..I recommend you throw them things out and get some Bones or any bearing that has a rubber shield.

Tip:

If you are skating in a generally clean environment...then don't even put the rubber shields back on. Skate with the shields off. So much smoother, faster, quieter. Give it a try.

Plus with the shield off you can always do the rinse and repeat cleaning should they get dirt in them.
    My Setup:
    ~Baker 7.75~~Thunder Cole Lights Low~~Spitfire Street Burners 99D 52mm~~Black Magic grip~

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vit View Post
    Yeah, that's what I do, too. With bearings that cheap, I don't bother to clean anything. Have 2 new sets waiting for me, bought them for even cheaper, too.
    It's all relative, money and time. Sometimes when I'm really bored I'll perform somewhat un-needed maintenance like cleaning and lubing bearings... even if I have a spare set ready to go. It's just plain fun to play around with your gear, try swapping around set ups, especially if it's raining outside. But, ya, bearings aren't that expensive compared to how long it takes to really clean and lube them well.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    It's all relative, money and time. Sometimes when I'm really bored I'll perform somewhat un-needed maintenance like cleaning and lubing bearings... even if I have a spare set ready to go. It's just plain fun to play around with your gear, try swapping around set ups, especially if it's raining outside.
    Exactly! all my *skater* friends think i'm weird because when i'm bored, i just tweak my gear.

Хой!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    It's all relative, money and time. Sometimes when I'm really bored I'll perform somewhat un-needed maintenance like cleaning and lubing bearings... even if I have a spare set ready to go. It's just plain fun to play around with your gear, try swapping around set ups, especially if it's raining outside. But, ya, bearings aren't that expensive compared to how long it takes to really clean and lube them well.
    word, man, I set-up old decks as cruisers and change stuff around all the time. I haven't cleaned bearings in forever, though, I remember how I did it the first time, I took the bearings out using a fork, lol.

Soak and swirl them around in some isopropyl alcohol for a while with the shields. Wipe them all clean with a cloth. Swish the bearings around again for a bit. Let them dry. (Hairdryer helps but isopropyl doesn't promote rust.) Add two or three drops of Bones Speed Cream or Tri-Flow lube into the cages. Spin 'em around to get the flow and pop the shields back on. I do it once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinecode View Post
    Soak and swirl them around in some isopropyl alcohol for a while with the shields. Wipe them all clean with a cloth. Swish the bearings around again for a bit. Let them dry. (Hairdryer helps but isopropyl doesn't promote rust.) Add two or three drops of Bones Speed Cream or Tri-Flow lube into the cages. Spin 'em around to get the flow and pop the shields back on. I do it once a month.
    Is Tri-Flow lube a skateboard bearing lube or something you can just go buy at wal-mart?
    My Setup:
    ~Baker 7.75~~Thunder Cole Lights Low~~Spitfire Street Burners 99D 52mm~~Black Magic grip~

I've bought it from bicycle shops before. They like to use it in that field. I prefer Bones Speed Cream but either will do the trick really.

Thats Me!

^I'm bringing some bearings around so you can show me how you do all that...

i never clean my bearings but i probs replace them more often than i would need to if i did..