I can't stay dedicated for some reason.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't stay dedicated for some reason.

Default I can't stay dedicated for some reason.

I love the idea of skating, I just do. Riding around, popping tricks(once you learn them of course..), just cruising around.. It seems so cool, and honestly, I love just riding around. But see, I am probably the worst skater you could possibly imagine.. (maybe not THAT bad, but I look like somebody drank a keg of beer before hopping on the board). My form and technique is really bad, even pushing off, standing on the board, everything. When I push off, I have a hard time balancing on my board and kicking again, and if I try to put my feet on the board I have to reposition them constantly so I don't fall, I can't imagine doing tricks on it while kicking and riding.

See, I'm working on my ollie now. It's getting tiring not making any progress whatsoever. I want to skate so badly, I do, I was planning on skating the whole summer. But with no progress being made, I don't really find it interesting to just... sit outside, hours a day, jumping on my board not getting off the ground. And not only that, I look like a drunk when trying to just cruise around. It is just frustrating not making any progress. I was planning on buying new skate shoes too, now I'm not so sure. I need a confidence boost

Well first things first how are you pushing I mean what's the position of your feet are you pushing with your front foot or back foot make sure your pushing with your back not front pushing with you front is called mongo and it really screwd with your balance some ppl make it work but its still a big no no you might also try standing the opposite way that you are now see which feels more comfortal

Quote Originally Posted by joshnielson View Post
    Well first things first how are you pushing I mean what's the position of your feet are you pushing with your front foot or back foot make sure your pushing with your back not front pushing with you front is called mongo and it really screwd with your balance some ppl make it work but its still a big no no you might also try standing the opposite way that you are now see which feels more comfortal
    I'm decently sure that I'm regular(I said goofy before, but I saw a video and I was actually regular), and my foot is on the bottom two bolts on the front trucks, and I kick off with my foot as close to the board as possible, but a lot of the time I just.. end of getting my foot stuck in the wheel and stumbling, therefore pushing my foot away from the board, so therefore I don't maintain my speed.

I am pushing with my back foot, I don't push mongo.

Scrubs Nerd

Practice, don't expect to hop on the board and feel at ease straight away. Board control takes time, it's all about practice.

Watch some skate videos to pump you up. Find some friends to skate with, that's the best motivation.
    being chinese is my business and business be fkn crackin yo

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownRon View Post
    Watch some skate videos to pump you up. Find some friends to skate with, that's the best motivation.
    I always watch skate videos. A lot of Rodney Mullen, Bam Margera, P-rod, ect. Just a bunch of pro-skaters, and then just random videos I find on youtube of amateur skaters. Also, I just moved up here, so I don't know anybody who skates.

just keep practicing everyday its all up to you if your going to get good or not

I understand how you feel. I felt like this last summer and almost gave up skating. My advice to you is to get more comfortable riding around on the board before worrying about ollies. Figure out what works for you by cruising around more often. After that, you can start tackling ollies.

I'm working on those too, and I can say that trying to do them and failing over and over is frustrating. But the coolest thing is I actually doing one, even if it's not high, after so many hours of practicing. There's nothing better than the satisfaction of doing an ollie after putting so much time into it. Even if you can't get them consistently, it's still worth it to keep practicing because something good will come out of it in the end. As long as you stick with it, you'll get better with time. Don't expect to get anything right away, just have patience and have fun.

I came into skateboarding expecting for everything to take awhile to learn, but I have always been hopeless with learning. I've watched video after video after video, taken advice after advice for almost two weeks now and I have seen NO improvement.

Thats Me!

Two weeks is a very short amount of time to learn how to balance push and ride a board... Keep at it and have fun doing if not and you just get frustrated then do something else cause skatings not for you....

How long did it take you to learn to ride a bike could you ride full speed and do bunnyhops after two weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    Two weeks is a very short amount of time to learn how to balance push and ride a board... Keep at it and have fun doing if not and you just get frustrated then do something else cause skatings not for you....

How long did it take you to learn to ride a bike could you ride full speed and do bunnyhops after two weeks?
    I never learned how to ride a bike, as ridiculous as it sounds. Also, I don't know the proper way to push off, I haven't found any videos that tell me, I just put my foot in a position that I find comfortable and push, I don't have the slightest clue. I can't find any videos, cna somebody suggest me one?

Thats Me!

Front foot needs to be facing forward back foot pushing there isn't really any tips and tricks to this part of skating the more you practice the easier it gets.... I've been teaching my mate to skate for a few months now and he can't Ollie or
    Push as good as someone who's been skating for ten years cause he realizes it all takes time..

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    Front foot needs to be facing forward back foot pushing there isn't really any tips and tricks to this part of skating the more you practice the easier it gets.... I've been teaching my mate to skate for a few months now and he can't Ollie or
    Push as good as someone who's been skating for ten years cause he realizes it all takes time..

I don't know how to turn though, every time I want to change direction I have to stop and readjust. It sucks. Also, I do that, but I almost fall off after a few pushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrocraz3d View Post
    I never learned how to ride a bike, as ridiculous as it sounds. Also, I don't know the proper way to push off, I haven't found any videos that tell me, I just put my foot in a position that I find comfortable and push, I don't have the slightest clue. I can't find any videos, cna somebody suggest me one?
    Well it sounds like you have no athletic ability. As simple as it sounds, skating requires some athletic ability.

I don't know how to turn though, every time I want to change direction I have to stop and readjust. It sucks. Also, I do that, but I almost fall off after a few pushes.
    Loosen your trucks and lean the way you wanna turn

Quote Originally Posted by jrskater1999 View Post
    Well it sounds like you have no athletic ability. As simple as it sounds, skating requires some athletic ability.
    You must be pretty stupid. When I started skating I was weak as ****, but because I try to skate every day of the holidays my calves are in decent shape. Athletic ability only makes it easier, I remember getting my first supermarket board at age 7, when I definitely didn't have any muscle, and didn't play any sports whatsoever, but I learnt how to cruise around.
    You get athletic ability from skateboarding, and we all start at square one somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jrskater1999 View Post
    Loosen your trucks and lean the way you wanna turn
    WHILE your front foot is vertical and not horizontal on the board? If I try to turn, I end up moving my foot to the very edge of the board and completely lose my balance.

Also, I have some athletic ability. I used to play soccer, basketball, and baseball years back. Nowadays, I don't do sports.

Default friends

watch theberrics.com daily. It makes me wanna skate. & also have friends to skate with. Its 10x funner to learn something new and have someone watch. No one in my town skates, so I found some homies at the skatepark. I hit them up and we go skate
    Last edited by hundredLamar; 07-11-2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: additional info

Patience, young Grasshopper.

Kickflip no come if mind not focus on self confidence. Skateboard take many time. Many ****ty ollie before land bolts longtime. Wax on, Wax off, etc.

WHILE your front foot is vertical and not horizontal on the board? If I try to turn, I end up moving my foot to the very edge of the board and completely lose my balance.

Also, I have some athletic ability. I used to play soccer, basketball, and baseball years back. Nowadays, I don't do sports.
    Alright. So now i know you have some athletic ability. Then practicing turning helps and try not to turn your foot. Be loose and relaxed about it. Find your inner skater.