Need help skating again after 3 year break... thinking about quitting again :(

Thread: Need help skating again after 3 year break... thinking about quitting again :(

Default Need help skating again after 3 year break... thinking about quitting again :(

Hello everyone.

I started skating when I was 12 years old, and stopped skating when I was 15. I didn't get 'good' at skating until about a year in, but I was never that great or anything. The main thing that held me back was being afraid to do tricks at high speeds, being afraid to get into slides or grinds, and being afraid to do tricks off of things. I was very good at doing technical tricks and flips at low speeds flatground.

I am 18 years old now, and haven't skated in about three and a half years. I randomly out of nowhere got the urge to skateboard again. I missed that feeling of getting up every morning, and getting out in the world. I missed the creative feeling of skateboarding, using architecture and urban obstacles as a palette.

---

Anyway, I got a new board a few weeks ago, and while I expected for it to take some time to get back into the swing of things, I had no idea it would be this frustrating and difficult to do even the most simple of tricks.

I have size 14 shoes, and I decided to get a 8.13 deck. I have grown at least a foot since I stopped skateboarding. I used to skate 7.8 - 8 inch decks, so I am skating a deck slightly larger. I don't know if this combined with the fact that my body has changed a lot is what is adding to the problems.

I feel so frustrated after skating. I have been skating again for over two weeks now, and I can barely do consistent ollies while moving. I can do ollies, but they aren't high at all, and I always feel like my timing is off. Maybe one out of every 10 tries I can get a nice one where I feel myself come up high off the ground, level it out in the air, and stomp down. Other time I just pop the board, go up a few inches, feel my feet not level right, and kind of just fall back down on the board.

I retained my shuv its, and for the most part my FS shuv its. I can do kickflips maybe 1 out of every 10 or 15 tries, but I feel like I have to put my front foot WAY further back than is normal, and it puts my balance off. On rails, all I can do is BS boardslide, and tonight I managed one front board.

The reason I am posting is because I have never felt this frustrated with anything in my life. It literally feels like I will not progress at all or anything. I wanted to skate again because I felt like now that I was older, I had a better sense in what I had to do to be better at skating, and I would have less fear, so I would be able to progress past what I used to be able to do.

I felt so horrible after skating tonight, and barely being able to pull off 5 good ollies and some shove its. I felt like self injuring all throughout the session, and I felt like crying. I feel burned out from all of my other hobbies, and I feel like I cannot be good at skateboarding ever again. I feel really upset and feel like committing suicide sometimes because of it. I have been trying every single day for weeks now just to get the most simple of tricks back, but it's just not happening. It just sucks having such a love for something, and not being any good at it.

I just wanted to post because I feel really upset tonight and feel like self injuring, and not wanting to skate anymore. Maybe I should try a size of deck I used to skate on, maybe I should give up. I don't know.

Thanks for anyone who read all of this and has some advice for me.

dude, get your act together & keep practicing, it'll come back to ya. how do you think it felt when us old guys picked it back up after 20 years?
    as long as you do it a lot it'll eventually happen.
    and don't forget that not everybody learns at the same pace, nor can everybody master the same tricks; all our bodies work differently...
    GG Allin was here...

Thats Me!

i got back into skating over a year ago after 8 years off, and yeah ofcourse it's not easy i felt like i was unco at first but after a few months i had that feeling back and now im starting to relearn hard old tricks and completely new tricks...

keep the deck you have it sounds about right..
    stop putting so much pressure on yourself do do tricks perfectly...

you said you wanted to get back to it cause you missed that feeling, now it seems you're chasing a different feeling and pushing the great feeling of just rolling around away..

focus on having fun, and talk to someone about what you're thinking feeling lately, it's not as hard to get out of that hole of depression if you really want out and work at it...but you need to talk to someone first to hget you on the right track..

Suicide? Okay lighten up a bit skating is supposed to be fun, something we do because we love it. It should help relieve your stress not be a source of it. Give it time you have to shake the rust off it only been a few weeks. There are a few guys on this board who took years off then came back strong. Just skate because you love it, skate beause you dont know how to stop.

Definitely go to your local skatepark and make some friends. Just skating with other people should be enough to help you get some confidence back and to have fun because that is all skating is about anyways isnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesht
    It's a skateboard, jesus you are dumb
    No I'm not.

Skateboarding isn't some kind of "instant" sport... you can't learn everything in one-two weeks or months!

I had the same problem when I turned back to skating after 4 years break... I was learning basics for over a year and skating alone... and I met few guys on one Facebook group and we met and now we're good friends and we're supporting each other in skating and when one of us can't do the trick we put a lot of effort to help him and ect...

go to your local skate spots or parks and skate... you'll see when you'll try to do some trick for couple of minutes someone will come to you and ask you what are you trying to do and he'll give you a few advices
    Proud to be Croat!

I took a (stupid) 8 year or so break, with a few spurts of weekend skating. Wish i never stopped as those years of better flexibility are gone and my progression stopped/reset. I could only imagine how much more stable and ballsy I'd still be..

I've been skating regularly for about 2 years now and while I'm approaching 40, luckily for me I was able to pretty much jump right back into it; granted I wasn't consistent but day one, grinds, kickflips/heelflips/impossibles, wall rides, big ollies were all right at my figertips, same for pool carving.

I fall a lot more! But, I now have more tricks than I used to! Hell I just learned smith grinds on a flat bar, and fakie impossibles yesterday =D

Just keep at it and find people to skate with, it's not hard - I just skated with a new person from 'that other forum' for the first time yesterday, we had a killer 4 hour session, small clip from yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4063146890933
    Last edited by Xen; 08-06-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Coming back from a 2 year break. Yeah...I pretty much suck.lol. But still love it.

Making a vow to never quit again.lol.
    My Setup:
    ~Baker 7.75~~Thunder Cole Lights Low~~Spitfire Street Burners 99D 52mm~~Black Magic grip~

It sounds like you need to talk to someone about depression. It's no joke. I struggled with that **** when I was young too. Skateboarding stopped me from killing myself and going off on other people. Skateboarding should make you feel good, don't make it about being "good," make it about blowing off steam. Skateboarding is a great release valve. If I'm in a pissed off mood, getting on and just pushing like a mother****er gets rid of a lot of tension. Hope you feel better soon.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Xen, I Hope I am still learning new harder tricks when I'm almost 40; You're my inspiration! lol

Nah man just keep practicing; it'll probably take a while to get the timing and motion back (especially on the kick flips lol... I love/hate kick flips). Once you get it though, it'll be the best feeling ever, I promise you!
    "Skating doesn't make you a skateboarder, not being able to stop skating, that makes you a skateboarder." -Lance Mountain
    If you're bored, check out my Youtube. Can't hurt right?!?
    http://www.youtube.com/ThatSkaterGuyy

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

To the OP: Don't worry man! I myself took a break (Wasn't that long) basically I broke my ankle and shattered a side of my foot in a few pieces. (Not a good experience) I started skating right after, and my foot hurt a lot so I decided to take a little break. Unfortunately, winter came and I grew out of my skate shoes and ended up taking a break for all winter and spring. When summer came back (Last year) I got a fresh new board and new shoes. I quickly picked it up again even though there wasn't much to pick up as when I took the break I could only ollie and kickflip. I had ollies down on day one. Unfortunately I lost my kickflips until Christmas of last year when I landed it in S.K.A.T.E. Believe me, taking a break is actually a good thing, whenever I don't skate for a while I come back more commited and with more good attitude and positive energy. You should look at it as a good thing! You didn't lose much during the time you didn't skate! As soon as I picked up skating again, I progressed impressively good. Within a few months I got 360 flips, inward heels, bigflips, and more. (not to brag) Do you know that feeling? After a long day of skating you want to do anything BUT skate? so it's the complete opposite when you come back to it. Find at least one buddy who is pretty advanced in skating who can skate with you and help you progress. If I didn't have my ONE friend I skate with, I would have probably quitted and never came back. It's like a competition between us, we try to get better than the other and every month it changes. One time he is better than me and then the other month I school him on a new trick I got down.

Yeah...that's how it is with me and my buddy Ian. Except he doesn't really ae anymore.
    My Setup:
    ~Baker 7.75~~Thunder Cole Lights Low~~Spitfire Street Burners 99D 52mm~~Black Magic grip~

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
    It sounds like you need to talk to someone about depression. It's no joke. I struggled with that **** when I was young too. Skateboarding stopped me from killing myself and going off on other people. Skateboarding should make you feel good, don't make it about being "good," make it about blowing off steam. Skateboarding is a great release valve. If I'm in a pissed off mood, getting on and just pushing like a mother****er gets rid of a lot of tension. Hope you feel better soon.
    THIS!!! If skateboarding just to skateboard isn't any fun if you can't do a lot of difficult tricks then you should either try something else or change your attitude about what's important. Sounds like the frustration is more a symptom of depression than just skateboard competence. Lower your expectations a little bit or try another hobby. Also, talk with some friends to get objective advice about your emotional situation. You should find that most folks will help if they know you.

Sail Hatan.

This guy sounds like he needs a bit of mary jane in his life