Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Skateboarding... how can I manage them both
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Skateboarding... how can I manage them both

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6

    Default Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Skateboarding... how can I manage them both

    I posted a thread a week ago, but wanted to start another to just focus in on the main problem I am having in starting skating again, and just in case anyone googles "OCD and Skateboarding" they can find this.

    I have obsessive compulsive disorder, and I feel like that is the reason why I cannot skate anymore, why I am overthinking my skating, why I can't progress, and why I am so hard on myself about my progression in getting back into skating.

    I searched the forums on here and found a lot of people claiming to have "OCD" because they saw that Andrew Reynolds video of him tapping on walls and stuff, and they were saying "My trucks have to be a certain tightness or I go crazy". What Andrew Reynolds has is a very MILD form of obsessive compulsive disorder, and he even says that in the video. I am not talking about minor things that annoy me, I am talking about having such worrying thoughts that it makes it impossible to function.

    The main reason I can't skate anymore because of OCD is the fear of falling. I literally almost NEVER fall when I skate because I never do anything that requires any kind of risk... which is why I am progressing so slow.

    There are countless other problems I am having, but I really don't know if skating just isn't for me anymore because of this :/. It's really hard to explain the feeling of this, but it's like I no longer can control my board without having a serious worry of falling... it goes beyond that too, but that's the easiest way to explain my problem.


    I don't know if anyone has any advice, but if anyone here actually has OCD and can tell me if medication has helped them, or if they have just beat it themselves by skating so much that it has become more natural to them and they can ignore it, I'd appreciate feedback. I am not on any medication now but I might start if it will end this.

    It's kind of annoying too watching that Andrew Reynolds videos and seeing comments of kids claiming they have OCD and stuff, when they don't really understand the pain that this disorder brings me. I can't even go to work this week because I am so upset over pointless things... like I got a new phone and it's not the exact same as my old phone, so I have been crying all day because I hate the change and I can't get used to it :/.

    Thanks again, I know I post really strange threads, but I just needed to vent, and I hope I will be able to skate again .

  2. #2
    Sail Hatan.
    Demon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,307

    Default

    Weed.

  3. #3
    Dr. Ska-Ctopus
    TGIMUNDAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Don't come onto a skate forum for help with OCD. Porblem sloved. PORBLEM. SLOVED.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.


  4. #4
    Kill your brain
    andius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Regardless of your OCD, ALL skaters suffer from fear. Its probably the hardest thing to overcome when learning anything new on the board for everyone.

    I don't think anyone here will be able to give you any proper advice on medications or how to deal with your situation. You need to talk to your doctor/psychiatrist/therapist about the problems you're having and a proper route for treatment in terms of counseling and medication.
    wubwub

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    Don't come onto a skate forum for help with OCD. Porblem sloved. PORBLEM. SLOVED.
    As I remember, this site is mostly inhabited by assh0les... just thought I would post a thread considering there were literally 3 threads with the same subject with kids saying "I am like andrew reynolds I have OCD how do I help it" on this site from the past... that kind of pisses me off that some stupid ass kids come on here posting a thread of the same nature and it opens this huge discussion, yet you act like a **** to me for having a serious concern and asking if anyone had advice for it... **** you.
    Last edited by Stockholm; 08-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Dr. Ska-Ctopus
    TGIMUNDAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm View Post
    As I remember, this site is mostly inhabited by assh0les... just thought I would post a thread considering there were literally 3 threads with the same subject with kids saying "I am like andrew reynolds I have OCD how do I help it" on this site from the past... that kind of pisses me off that some stupid ass kids come on here posting a thread of the same nature and it opens this huge discussion, yet you act like a **** to me for having a serious concern and asking if anyone had advice for it... **** you.
    **** taken? It's stupid, and so are a chunk of people on the planet who think they actually have OCD. Most don't, they just see something about it and are like "OH MAN, I HATE WHEN THE TV ISN'T AT AN EVEN NUMBER VOLUME." Seriously, a skateboard forum is not the place to go for a mental problem, if you have one. Go to a therapist, get diagnosed, go on medication or do some ERP therapy. And my comment wasn't an ******* one, it was more like advice, because a good chunk of us (probably all of us) are not doctors.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.


  7. #7
    罗伯特 Ghettobirds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    I dont have OCD dude, so I can't help you... and thats where TGI is coming from. I don't think too many of us actually have "severe" OCD so I dont think asking here is a great idea. As for the other kids, they just pretty much called their fear OCD to have an excuse not to commit and we told them how to get over fear... If you ask for that, then I'm sure we could help you. But if your case is as bad as you say it is, go to a doctor or something...
    我很好,也我们不是


  8. #8
    Djently MattxLustt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,532

    Default

    I'm a major depressive with minor OCD, and my best way to deal with it was to just do the trick over and over again until I get it perfect at least 1-3 times. I try to do a trick 3 times in a row, generally. I've also got an obsession with even numbers/symmetry. Try to focus the obsession on getting that stylish line, rather than whether or not you'll fall. After the first fall of the day, it's not nearly so bad. Falling isn't bad, but falling on stairs/handrails can be. Falling from your board is like tripping while walking. Not much harm you can do, unless you're unlucky. But remember, chicks dig scars. Medication does help, but it's not an end all be all. Also, kids on the internet are asses for ****s and giggles. Just let it slide.

  9. #9
    Kill your brain
    andius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stockholm View Post
    As I remember, this site is mostly inhabited by assh0les... just thought I would post a thread considering there were literally 3 threads with the same subject with kids saying "I am like andrew reynolds I have OCD how do I help it" on this site from the past... that kind of pisses me off that some stupid ass kids come on here posting a thread of the same nature and it opens this huge discussion, yet you act like a **** to me for having a serious concern and asking if anyone had advice for it... **** you.
    If you have a serious concern about anything; Skaterscafe is not the the place to express it without leaving a window for something you might not want to hear. THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM. Sorry bud, but you if your situation is as dire as you make it out to be then you need some actual help from a doctor than can actually give you advice on your situation. This isn't mentalhealthcafe.
    wubwub

  10. #10
    Sail Hatan.
    Demon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Smyrna,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,307

    Default

    The handlebars on my bike were crooked yesterday, and it made me mad.

  11. #11
    Public Enemy Quik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Age
    30
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Weed.
    This!
    Proud to be Croat!





  12. #12
    Veteran Member spenspen101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    671

    Default

    TGIMUNDAY, I think you should've been a little more cautious with that post. Based on common principles, particularly common western principles, it was not very nice. Honestly I don't see the difference between asking for help with OCD and ollies.
    It would have agreed with you that Stockholm's post was stupid if he hadn't related it to skateboarding. After all, this is a forum dedicated to that. But since he did, perhaps he thought through what he was going to write in his thread?
    Maybe this thread belongs in "off topic", I suppose that would be more suitable. But half of the time I don't even notice what section it's in. You see people arguing about religion on here, it's more or less the same argument.

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Weed will only make those with OCD worse (trust me, I know).

    Luckily, my OCD doesn't affect my skating so much as it affects my gear purchasing (constant pursuit of the holy grail...which I'm close to, if I could only find wheels I like) or if my stove is off, door is locked

    MattxLustt made some good suggestions!

  14. #14
    Active Member Johnny Infested's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    43
    Posts
    367

    Default

    I've had various levels of OCD-like symptons, but nothing that keeps from being able to function in the real world. And none of them related to skateboarding.

    You just have to beat it on your own. Get out of your own head.

    For example, I used to have to go and lock and unlock the door, deadbolt and chainlock on my apartment door five times every night before bed. It didn't stop me from living my life, but it annoyed me that I felt compelled to do something that I know was so unneccessary.

    So one day I decided to stop. I made myself not do it. I locked the door. I knew it was locked, and I just went to bed. At first, I felt it nagging at me. After a while, it didn't bother me at all.

    So things like that. I have done similar things for a lot of the random compulsions that have popped up in my life. When I was a kid, any time I entered or left a room, I had to pull or push the door ten times. If my mom came in my room, when she left, she had to do the same. If she didn't I'd yell for her to come back and do it. Eventually, I realized it was not needed and I got over it.

    Not as severe as some people have it, but it's the same principal. If you are extremely bothered by your phone situation, I just recommend getting out of your head and dealing with it. The phone works, I assume, the same as your other. So just don't let yourself think about it, until that nagging feeling goes away.

    The other biggest help is perspective. Seriously, 20 years from now will you care that the phone you have is not the same as your old one? Not likely, so why should it matter now. 20 years from now, it will not matter if I lock and unlock my door five times before bed tonight, so therefore I am not going to let it matter tonight.

    Hope that helps, in any way.

  15. #15
    Dr. Ska-Ctopus
    TGIMUNDAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spenspen101 View Post
    TGIMUNDAY, I think you should've been a little more cautious with that post. Based on common principles, particularly common western principles, it was not very nice. Honestly I don't see the difference between asking for help with OCD and ollies.
    It would have agreed with you that Stockholm's post was stupid if he hadn't related it to skateboarding. After all, this is a forum dedicated to that. But since he did, perhaps he thought through what he was going to write in his thread?
    Maybe this thread belongs in "off topic", I suppose that would be more suitable. But half of the time I don't even notice what section it's in. You see people arguing about religion on here, it's more or less the same argument.
    "Don't come onto a skate forum for help with OCD" Where's the problem? I'm not berating the kid, but there are better places. MattxLustt came on here and talked about being a major depressive with minor OCD tendencies. I doubt he was treated through a skate forum, where's the problem? It is not the same as asking for help with an ollie.
    Last edited by TGIMUNDAY; 08-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.


  16. #16
    Gravity Slave Moderator
    NoSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,945

    Default

    I think a lot more people have OCD tendencies than what gets formally diagnosed. Most detail attentive folks have it to some degree. Always messing with you set ups, changing stuff around back and forth over and over. As for depression, meds probably help, but exercise and high impact sports can relieve a lot of stress and give folks a fresh look. I like to beat the **** out of some drums for an hour here and there as one way to re calibrate my attitude. Anything that gets you out of your own head and detached from dwelling in things you can't control is what experts recommend, I prefer activity to drugs, but depending on the level of the problem just do whatever it takes to feel better. If you have friends like this, help them when you notice they are stuck in a rut. There's too many guns around to let folks stew in that bad place too long.

  17. #17
    Veteran Member SK8in'PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pullman, WA
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Don't worry about coming here for help. No, we're not doctors (and I'm not even a skateboarder) but sometimes talking other skateboarders, and others with the same interest can give you some insight. There was no way for you to know whether somebody here has OCD like you, or the same severity. I know you were just finding a resource for help, or advice, and hoping somebody here may have the same problems.

    Sorry some are so harsh. Don't let them scare you away. Take what advice you get from here, and talk to your parents, or whoever about seeing somebody for it. Don't stop skating, and take everything at your own speed. Don't worry if you progress, as long as you enjoy it. See if meds will help too. That's all the advice I can give you. But, stick around, I'm sure you can get some other advice about skating, other than the OCD issue.

  18. #18
    Veteran Member spenspen101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    "Don't come onto a skate forum for help with OCD" Where's the problem? I'm not berating the kid, but there are better places. MattxLustt came on here and talked about being a major depressive with minor OCD tendencies. I doubt he was treated through a skate forum, where's the problem? It is not the same as asking for help with an ollie.
    I agree that there are better places, I just thought you could have been nicer to him since I think he was quite genuine.
    The reason why I say it is similar is because both are questions looking for answers. I'd say that a large portion of material on this website is composed of questions looking for answers. I'd say it's fair to say that that's why most people make accounts on here.

  19. #19
    Dr. Ska-Ctopus
    TGIMUNDAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spenspen101 View Post
    I agree that there are better places, I just thought you could have been nicer to him since I think he was quite genuine.
    The reason why I say it is similar is because both are questions looking for answers. I'd say that a large portion of material on this website is composed of questions looking for answers. I'd say it's fair to say that that's why most people make accounts on here.
    Usually not to do with OCD... the kids who saw the Andrew Reynolds video are just stupid. I don't know the OP, so I'm not going to comment on his problem, which could be major, I just don't think this is the best place for any mental health issue. That's my final word on this, nothing against the OP, but there are online resources for people such as himself.
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

    Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.


  20. #20
    Veteran Member spenspen101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TGIMUNDAY View Post
    Usually not to do with OCD... the kids who saw the Andrew Reynolds video are just stupid. I don't know the OP, so I'm not going to comment on his problem, which could be major, I just don't think this is the best place for any mental health issue. That's my final word on this, nothing against the OP, but there are online resources for people such as himself.
    Cool, I agree with that. I'm glad we didn't have a stupid flame war over this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •