Cheap cameras are getting better?

Thread: Cheap cameras are getting better?

Chillin'

Default Cheap cameras are getting better?

First off: I am no expert in filming and anything that has to do with it, I just have a common technical understanding. So maybe I'm just totaly wrong with everything that come now.

So I want to get into filming and checked Amazon for some camcorders. As I expected they were not realy cheap (Atleast for a student). Randomly I found that a local store sells a camera this week 50% off (100 instead of 200)

It's not a brand (It's a "Jay-tech") but it got these specs:
    -HD Video
    -Res: 1280x720
    -7x optic zoom, 120x digital zoom
    -30 fps in Full HD; 60 fps in HD720
    -NO Image stabilization (I guess this is important for filming while skating?)

(Heres the link, for some more specs. It's german, but you should be able to read them out: http://www.jay-tech.de/jaytech/servl...355e604c:-7bbc)

What do you guys think of it? I don't need a cam for professional filming, I just want something for me. To check my process in skating and stuff like this.

яussian

It will probably be OK, but as with all cheaper cameras, it's going to have a few downfalls. Usually there's bad low light performance, aliasing, and chromatic aberration. For 100 euros, I'm guessing it's a pretty good deal, but honestly, I'd rather go for a branded camera (canon, sony, panasonic, jvc) because you know what you're getting with them.

Chillin'

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    It will probably be OK, but as with all cheaper cameras, it's going to have a few downfalls. Usually there's bad low light performance, aliasing, and chromatic aberration. For 100 euros, I'm guessing it's a pretty good deal, but honestly, I'd rather go for a branded camera (canon, sony, panasonic, jvc) because you know what you're getting with them.
    Yeah a branded camera sure would be great, but I cant spend more than 100-150 on a camera. Hopefully I find a good deal on amazon or at my local electronnics store.

Retired Staff

If you're not that big into filming you might as well get it. It's got decent specs but like nitro said, its probably not the greatest in low light and stuff, also probably has close to zero manual controls. i'd personally just buy a name brand camera used

Retired Staff

Pentax has several cameras that can record video in HD. You could find something that sells the body only and you can pick up older lenses that only shoot in manual. One of the reasons why I go with Pentax is because all modern pentax cameras are compatible with all of their old lenses. I've gotten some lenses for less than $20. The K-x is the oldest and probably cheapest one they have that shoots 720p video. You will have to deal with a rolling shutter as all recording with dSLRs tend to have. It may cost a bit more but it's a better investment in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Chillin'

Thanks for the replys guys! Probably waiting for chirstmas to get a camera(maybe I can get something better then).

Chillin'

Oh, before I forget: How necessary is Image stabilization? Most of the time I am going to film with a tripod, but I am going to get a camera handle too. Of course I want to use it for casual filming too.

Retired Staff

At wider angles (less than 40mm or so) you won't notice much. Zoomed in, you'll notice it a lot. If you're filming skating, most people like to shoot extreme wider like less than 20mm so you may not notice significant differences. Image stabilization, as far as I know, isn't going to work well enough to overcome extreme motion like skating or running. They have steady cam rigs you wear... but that isn't going to be cheap. Even with stabilization, I notice a bit of shakiness if I'm shooting with long lenses (135mm-300mm).

Pentax has an edge with stabilization because all of their cameras that support it have it built into the camera instead of the lens like many do.

Edit: by the way, I rarely record and I mostly shoot photos, so, there may be some variations between my advice and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Retired Staff

if you're using a tripod you shouldn't use image stabilizer. also, dslr's CAN be cheaper in the long run but are more than likely wayyy more expensive in the long run. you'll buy body and a lens. then youll get more batteries because they dont last veyr long, then youll get a fisheye.. then you might seem set until you decide you want a handle, then a mic, then you'll get better at filming and like it more and buy more lenses. i had a dslr, a t2i. by the time i sold it i had around 2000 invested into it

Chillin'

Ok, thanks! You guys helped me alot!

i think for a beginner this should do. It will atleasst help you get the basics of filming down and the fps are fast enough to not give you much lag or jumping around. I say give it a go, get used to the camcorder and once you've mastered it, upgrade!

яussian

Stabilization is pretty important in filming skating. You don't want all your footage to be super shaky. After all, you would be riding on a skateboard, too. Of course, you could get a steady cam, but those are complicated, expensive, and just extra weight to your rig. Canon have really good stabilization in their consumer cameras (I have one).

Retired Staff

i almost never use the ois features mainly because i keep it off for fisheye and forget to put it on when not filming fisheye. You can get cheap steady cams too, or make one. He said most of the time it will be on a tripod so not having ois wouldn't be much of a problem anyway