How to go about furthering a career in Filming?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: How to go about furthering a career in Filming?

  1. #1
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Hmm2 How to go about furthering a career in Filming?

    Just wanting to see peoples opinions on how to go about furthering a career in filming. When I finish school should i go to film school and what course would I need. I would like to follow filming sports and such but just wondering about the filming industry in general?

    At the moment I currently post a variety of different skateboarding clips on my youtube channel. my filming technique is still developing and i have a lot to learn still.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/The6set?feature=watch

    All help is greatly appreciated

  2. #2
    Retired Staff
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Leominster
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,658

    Default

    I'm sure film school can help a lot but it depends on what you want to film really. Look around for things to film locally, check craigslist and such... try and film some commercial type stuff for small local businesses/film weddings.

  3. #3
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    The dream would be to film skateboarding, but i really either want to film sports or enter the movie industry

  4. #4
    Haveyouseenhim? XGer22x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    732, New Jersey
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    The filming was ok, well honestly i couldnt really tell. The editing was about to give me a siezure and the music was putting me to sleep.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    ben_larsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalfhyde View Post
    The dream would be to film skateboarding, but i really either want to film sports or enter the movie industry
    Most filmers start out just filming homies, then the homies turn pro and the filmers end up working for one of the companies their homie was sponsored by.

  6. #6
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    My homie Kyle muir has some might good skills for a 16 yr old hope he goes somewhere! he doesn't try put himself out here but and to everyone i didnt edit that trailer!

  7. #7
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XGer22x View Post
    The filming was ok, well honestly i couldnt really tell. The editing was about to give me a siezure and the music was putting me to sleep.
    My friend wanted to try edit something that wasnt gaming footage so i gave him that trailer and that was the result over edited abit

  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Im preety sure you just have to know the right people, start filming pros, or approach the local shop manager and ask him if he is interested in obtaining filmers...
    Marshmallow Boogies, full length skate video by X-pressive Arts!! Link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4vVAXf6R50

  9. #9
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torch2424 View Post
    Im preety sure you just have to know the right people, start filming pros, or approach the local shop manager and ask him if he is interested in obtaining filmers...
    yeah it seems more who you know then what you know.
    I film Brent Askwith who you's might know as baskwith on youtube. Otherwise i have a mate who's 15-16 who's pretty good at street for is age, 360 pop shuvs anything like first shot has them on lock, has a really nice kick flip front board on down rails to.

    How would you's recommend going about getting more views or subscribers on youtube, like posting videos on certain sites and forums such as this and ect..
    Thank you all for your help so far too (:

  10. #10
    Retired Staff
    Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Califoreena
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Going to school to get into the entertainment industry will help you get some skills and possibly set you up with an internship, but, the degree itself means jack. The industry is really competitive as everyone seems to think it's an easy and sweet job that pays out the nose. There's a lot of boring, repetitive work and a ton of internal politics that are just ****ing awful to deal with. Just minor in film and major in something worthwhile. The skills you get are way more important than having a specialized degree.

    If you really want to get into it, land a good internship or pick up as many small jobs on the side as you can in that field until you build up a good network and a good portfolio. Of course, I think youtube has borked this **** and it could be very different now. You could record yourself flipping eggs into baby crocodile mouths off your dingus and get your start that way. Just remember us small people when you make it big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

  11. #11
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Going to school to get into the entertainment industry will help you get some skills and possibly set you up with an internship, but, the degree itself means jack. The industry is really competitive as everyone seems to think it's an easy and sweet job that pays out the nose. There's a lot of boring, repetitive work and a ton of internal politics that are just ****ing awful to deal with. Just minor in film and major in something worthwhile. The skills you get are way more important than having a specialized degree.

    If you really want to get into it, land a good internship or pick up as many small jobs on the side as you can in that field until you build up a good network and a good portfolio. Of course, I think youtube has borked this **** and it could be very different now. You could record yourself flipping eggs into baby crocodile mouths off your dingus and get your start that way. Just remember us small people when you make it big.
    Thanks for the advice!! really appreciate it as I have only just turned 16 recently (I live in Australia btw) what would you recommended doing? just keep filming anything and everything?? or start looking for side jobs somewhere or something?

  12. #12
    Veteran Member SK84EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rockville MD
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Going to school to get into the entertainment industry will help you get some skills and possibly set you up with an internship, but, the degree itself means jack. The industry is really competitive as everyone seems to think it's an easy and sweet job that pays out the nose. There's a lot of boring, repetitive work and a ton of internal politics that are just ****ing awful to deal with. Just minor in film and major in something worthwhile. The skills you get are way more important than having a specialized degree.

    If you really want to get into it, land a good internship or pick up as many small jobs on the side as you can in that field until you build up a good network and a good portfolio. Of course, I think youtube has borked this **** and it could be very different now. You could record yourself flipping eggs into baby crocodile mouths off your dingus and get your start that way. Just remember us small people when you make it big.
    I agree with Donovan on this one. I think it would be best to get a minor in a film degree and just intern some place to get the experience on your resume.
    Or, if your heart is really into it just keep on filiming the homies. That's how most people end up becoming great at what they do. They are passionate about it and practice day in and day out. Grab any camera and get out there and start filming. If you are going to go to school look for a minor in broadcasting. That's what I did and help you to understand the technical parts about it as well as the advertising. Ever heard of CPM?

  13. #13
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by isk84evr View Post
    I agree with Donovan on this one. I think it would be best to get a minor in a film degree and just intern some place to get the experience on your resume.
    Or, if your heart is really into it just keep on filiming the homies. That's how most people end up becoming great at what they do. They are passionate about it and practice day in and day out. Grab any camera and get out there and start filming. If you are going to go to school look for a minor in broadcasting. That's what I did and help you to understand the technical parts about it as well as the advertising. Ever heard of CPM?
    I don't believe i have heard of CPM? what is it?
    and yeha i tihnk i will do a minor in a film degree and just keep filming anything and everything

  14. #14
    Veteran Member SK84EVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Rockville MD
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalfhyde View Post
    I don't believe i have heard of CPM? what is it?
    and yeha i tihnk i will do a minor in a film degree and just keep filming anything and everything
    It is something that you will talk extensively about in Broadcasting or Communications. It stands for Cost Per Thousand and it is how you determine how much a certain ad will cost.

  15. #15
    Speed Junkie
    Xgecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rhody
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Something to think about, at this point almost everything has been done in one way or another....that doesn't mean you can't be unique just that becoming so isn't gonna be a cakewalk. Develop your own style of filming and just as important if not more so editing, stick with it and master your style. Don't discount any form of filming (video, DSLR, GoPro etc) they all have advantages as well as flaws, a good editor mixes all different kinds of footage.
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

  16. #16
    Turbo Raptor!
    Snowjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ENGLAND *****ES
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,110

    Default

    My friend is starting to make headway making films and music videos for bands. He did it by literally filming everything he did and everything we did to brush up his films. Then started really small time local bands and gradually worked up to bigger bands on national tours.

    I'd assume skating is the same, start small time, get bigger. The most important part is don't just rock up and make the film and go, get chatting around, make friends, because you ain't going anywhere without these peoples contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
    I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdc
    I don't smoke weed because I don't want to ever accidentally end up liking Sublime.

  17. #17
    Retired Staff
    Donovan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Califoreena
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Until you can start picking up side jobs, just practice filming/editing and experimenting with different ways and styles of filming. Don't put all your time into just that though. Try to gather a broad knowledge of industry standard editing software and try to learn what makes something good and interesting. Sometimes you gotta to through hours and hours of footage and you'll end up making the tough call over what should and shouldn't stay. Often, the bits that have to go are your favorite parts.

    Keep in mind there's about another hundred of you running around trying to do the same thing so do your best to become very talented and experienced with whatever you're trying to do. Don't just do the same type of stuff either. You want to show whoever goes through your portfolio that you aren't pigeon holed into one style of filming.

    What field of film are you trying to get into anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

  18. #18
    Kill your brain
    andius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    A legit way to get some headway in the industry is create a good documentary. Documentary film festivals are a lot more low key and easier to enter.
    wubwub

  19. #19
    Active Member JakeHalfhyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    25
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Until you can start picking up side jobs, just practice filming/editing and experimenting with different ways and styles of filming. Don't put all your time into just that though. Try to gather a broad knowledge of industry standard editing software and try to learn what makes something good and interesting. Sometimes you gotta to through hours and hours of footage and you'll end up making the tough call over what should and shouldn't stay. Often, the bits that have to go are your favorite parts.

    Keep in mind there's about another hundred of you running around trying to do the same thing so do your best to become very talented and experienced with whatever you're trying to do. Don't just do the same type of stuff either. You want to show whoever goes through your portfolio that you aren't pigeon holed into one style of filming.

    What field of film are you trying to get into anyways?
    Thanks for all the advice guys (:

    I'm looking to either follow filming skateboarding and other sports or my other interest is in the movie industry, and yeah I've started trying to experiment with other things,my first skating videos were video logs of the whole weekend i'd just put in the good parts but then i got lazy and stopped :/, I use to edit video game clips and sometimes I do some singing/guitar covers. I try to pick up bits and pieces from different things and put them together in other areas.

  20. #20
    яussian
    Nitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Amherst MA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,092

    Default

    I say look for a different career but don't give up filming as an interest. Keep doing what you do and improving but don't expect to make big $$ out of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •