Life after death? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life after death?

Oh.My.GLOB

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageSk8r View Post
    im hoping to be reincarnated as an anal bead
    Wouldn't that just be history repeating?

OH SNAP
    "Hail Caesarean"

FuturePrimitive

One might experience dying, but one does not experience death. Experiencing is strictly the territory of living, conscious thought. Before one lives, one does not experience anything. After living, one will cease to experience. So even if the energy survives, all the cares and worries and memories that tether a person to reality will cease to exist and cease to matter. Perhaps the energy moves to inhabit some other life form, in which it will experience again.

It would be pretty damn cool if that energy retains its personality, and is greeted by other disembodied personalities in some blissful afterlife wherein all life's questions are answered. I don't see any reason to completely lose hope for that, or to discourage that hope in others, or to act as if one has the greatest unanswered question which ever faced humanity answered in some bleak and hopeless way.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Noj View Post
    One might experience dying, but one does not experience death. Experiencing is strictly the territory of living, conscious thought. Before one lives, one does not experience anything. After living, one will cease to experience. So even if the energy survives, all the cares and worries and memories that tether a person to reality will cease to exist and cease to matter..
    Various different belief systems tend to lean to the notion that all of our energy and matter is connected to everything else somehow, perhaps the god particle? So, even if one body ceases to exist the energy that was within it could still have a connection to everything that still exists. Just a thought, but if people experiencing "dying" claim to have had awareness outside of their body and been able to travel other places.. what stops that from being possible when the body really is "dead" other than the fact that they can't return to the same body?

FuturePrimitive

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Various different belief systems tend to lean to the notion that all of our energy and matter is connected to everything else somehow, perhaps the god particle? So, even if one body ceases to exist the energy that was within it could still have a connection to everything that still exists. Just a thought, but if people experiencing "dying" claim to have had awareness outside of their body and been able to travel other places.. what stops that from being possible when the body really is "dead" other than the fact that they can't return to the same body?
    Nothing, and I rather like the idea. I find it distasteful to be so negative and to act as if all the possibilities have been reduced to the limits of logic and what can be measured.

I do find it somewhat comforting to think about the fact that when we are sleeping, time seems to pass by instantaneously (barring dreams). So if there is something such as reincarnation, it's possible that when death brings this life to an end, the next life will begin instantaneously, as it would be the quick skip between two conscious experiences. So one would pass, and then the very next experience would be in the next life when one's new brain becomes self-aware.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Gravity Slave Moderator

Agreed. We never know for sure. Everything I/you currently know and remember as my/your entire life to date could all be a 5 minute dream I am/you are really having right now.
    ;-)

яussian

All those "afterlife" stories of near-death experiences are just dreams, except instead of sleeping, your body is technically dead (more paralyzed than 100% dead).

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    All those "afterlife" stories of near-death experiences are just dreams, except instead of sleeping, your body is technically dead (more paralyzed than 100% dead).
    What about ones where people claim to see and hear things and witness events at other locations, completely different from where their body was at the time? Lucky guess?

I actually had one at home (death experience). A very close friend I hadn't seen or talked to in months called me the very next morning out of the blue all emotional and told me he had a dream about me dying, said he witnessed my death and the aftermath, was traveling for the funeral the following day, etc... There was no way he could have known about my experience, yet he seems to have witnessed it in his sleep from 400 miles away.

At the least there was something paranormal happening there. Two people 400 miles apart having exactly the same "dream" at exactly the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyfan0 View Post

good album as well
    WORD!

Oh.My.GLOB

I'm here to say I am staying out of this thread. NDE and after-life conversations are tired on this forum.
    "Hail Caesarean"

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    I'm here to say I am staying out of this thread. NDE and after-life conversations are tired on this forum.
    But how will we know that there is BlueSky after Dead if you leave?

Oh.My.GLOB

Can this thread now be about death-cake?

"Hail Caesarean"

FuturePrimitive

That's slightly disappointing, since I'm sure DBS' reply would have been a most impressive display of intellect and logic combined with a cold, calculated, cutting bit of sarcastic snarkiness.

Oh.My.GLOB

Oh you know it would be all of that and so much more.

I'm too concerned with what happens while I'm alive to pontificate on the fringe benefits of existence being a glimmer and a fluke between planes of infinite nothing.

Also I have been watching Guy Mariano in Pretty Sweet and to be honest matters of life and death pale in the face of skateboarding at this moment in time
    "Hail Caesarean"

^^^^ LOL! this guy is a walking thesaurus! I here you though. Life is too great to constantly think/talk about death... Unless there is a death cake in arms length. Then death sounds Pretty Sweet!

Oh.My.GLOB

No one ever says death

[/Izzard]
    "Hail Caesarean"

Your Mother

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBlueSky View Post
    No one ever says death

[/Izzard]
    Seeing that picture immediatley made me look that scene up on YouTube. I love that guy.

I believe in existence after death, we don't simply disappear. For a while we are decaying organic matter (and other.) Dead bodies exist, the plants & soil that decay goes into exists, and so forth. Sounds pretty simple, but I pretty much go with the whole idea that we are made up of post 'big bang' material that has and will continue to exist, just... not always in a conscious form.
    I want to be more like water... so I could drown stupid people.