How Alec Majerus Won Tampa Am 2012

Thread: How Alec Majerus Won Tampa Am 2012

Default How Alec Majerus Won Tampa Am 2012

So, yes Alec Majerus won Tampa AM 2012 like the title states. Although, I was wondering what it really takes to win Tampa AM? Is it a flawless run, nerves of steel, or just pure talent? While Alec Majerus is evidently talented, I know people that shred way harder. Don't get me wrong, I definitely am not one of those people (although I would love to be), but know people that could have easily pulled off this run. I am not trying to take anything away from Alec because he clearly is a well poised talented skateboarder. Again, I am wondering exactly what it takes to win this comp. Take a look at the video and you be the judge.

Global Moderator

Well I was there and saw about 95% of the entire event and practice and watching the practice I would have put all my money on Shawn Hale or Evan Smith or Alex Midler but when it came down to their runs they blew it. There were defiantly better skaters out there just Alec had an amazing run.

I admit the run was pretty clean, but because I wasn't there it is hard for me to believe that was the best. I guess a flawless run is what it's all about.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by isk84evr View Post
    I admit the run was pretty clean, but because I wasn't there it is hard for me to believe that was the best. I guess a flawless run is what it's all about.
    That Jagger Eaton kid had a perfect run too but he has a little kid style so I'm sure that's why he didn't get it.

^^ a hardflip back lip doesn't win?, but true, he's got little kid steeze
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

WHAT!!! You mean to tell me that didn't earn him numero uno?!! That was an energetic and entertaining display of skill. Albeit, less disciplined a style then other riders, it was still very impressive non the less... and flawless. Hats off to that kid!

Global Moderator

I'm not sure if they counted all 3 runs in the finals or if they only counted the best. That kid did horrible his first 2 runs in the finals and then did this on his last run and also it was the same run as his qualifiers and his semi-finals. Once his legs grow he'll be the next Nyjah I'm sure. He's only 11

Speed Junkie

clean and dull.....
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

He's only 11?!?! HOLY **** BALLS...

Quote Originally Posted by Xgecko View Post
    clean and dull.....
    the guy that won, his kickflip back lip was a bit sketchy, that's what I love seeing
    Kickflips and 360 flips are ****

We were all off our faces on mushrooms when we recorded Plug In Baby... There was this big field next to the recording studio filled with them. So we ate them all. I don't know what we were doing, but we all ended up naked in a jacuzzi and I went deaf in one ear from falling asleep in the sauna... Matt Bellamy

New line nearly https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=video_tag

New Photo https://www.facebook.com/laurence.ev...type=1&theater

Speed Junkie

The thing I didn't like was his need to stop and walk/run to a spot to link different lines, but hey he is an AM hopefully he learns more about flow before he turns pro
    that's gonna leave a mark.........yup gravity still works

Quote Originally Posted by discolemonade4 View Post
    the guy that won, his kickflip back lip was a bit sketchy, that's what I love seeing
    My thoughts exactly guys. The 11 year old should have won simply for getting the crowd involved (and his skill of course). Go back and listen to the audience in both clips. The 11 y.o. had way more energy. I just thought a winning run would have been more of a spectacle.

Besides, 11 years old or not. Skate companies need to start looking at sponsoring younger riders. 14 and under accounts for a nice chunk of skateboarding. I am currently working with a 14 and 11 y.o and they are almost as good as some of the older riders.

Global Moderator

Well Tampa Am is imfamous for being a political/popularity contest. Last year Luke Hampton's run was better than Trevor Colden's but Trevor won. Kyle Berard is a judge and him and Trevor are both from Virginia Beach so a lot of people claimed that it was rigged and everything. but probably why Trevor won is because he has a very clean style while Luke has a really aggressive style and if you compare Jagger and Alec, Alec has a much better style. That's just how contests work I guess, can't make everyone happy.

FuturePrimitive

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    He's only 11?!?! HOLY **** BALLS...
    My thoughts exactly.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. –Aristotle

Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best. --Frank Zappa

Global Moderator

this kid also ripped. and the announcing is hilarious "oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god. DO THE TRUFFLE SHUFFLE!"

LOL! Somebody has this as there sig. I love how every skater after him attempted the same thing and failed miserably. Man, I can't believe that many people/kids enter with skills that dull. I am def gonna try to make it next year.

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by isk84evr View Post
    LOL! Somebody has this as there sig. I love how every skater after him attempted the same thing and failed miserably. Man, I can't believe that many people/kids enter with skills that dull. I am def gonna try to make it next year.

The dude that went right be him, Brodie, ended up landing backtail big flip out and won.

He's really consistent, the new course is a bit slower than in the past as well

Boss

Best trick ripping It.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.