Slammed my head. Scared as ****.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slammed my head. Scared as ****.

Default Slammed my head. Scared as ****.

Well today after getting so close to kickflips and landing it with both feet but slipping out, I decided to go at it for hour ends. Long story short, landed primo, slammed my head into the ground. I'm scared out of my mind and don't know what to do. I don't feel strange but I'm scared I may have a concussion. I've never had a bail like this. Why is skateboarding ****ing me over like this when I'm finally about to get the trick I've worked all these years for. Damn it I'm so freaked out!
    Last edited by SFWPJO; 12-29-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Uh, I would go to the hospital man...
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

Хой!

Happens. Especially when you'd least expect it. Just a bad chance. Probably won't happen again. But I'd wear a helmet till I get over it, or just keep wearing it. Would be a smart decision in the long run.

Skating isn't always fun unless you enjoy pain, tickets, bad quality gear, etc.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Many of the people that die of head trauma were up and walking around feeling kinda OK for several hours before the aneurism suddenly killed them.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Many of the people that die of head trauma were up and walking around feeling kinda OK for several hours before the aneurism suddenly killed them.
    What if I feel perfectly fine except for the bruise on my head? Serious question.

Gravity Slave Moderator

angry, young & beautiful

if you think it's bad go to a hospital d00d
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Went to the hospital. They told me everything I read on the internet for the small price of $1500. Insurance is a life saver. Basically I'm perfectly fine and only need to return if anything unusual happens. My parents are also freaked out about me skateboarding now. I have a feeling my skate career may soon come to an end if they get paranoid about it.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Just get a helmet. You don't have to wear it all the time, but always have it with you when you leave the house with your board.

DJyoyoLilDyls

concussions suck. and 1500 for a check up on your head? jesus

Just get a helmet. You don't have to wear it all the time, but always have it with you when you leave the house with your board.
    Yeah, I think if I want to keep skating I'm going to have to wear a helmet. At least the skate parks nearby (Not so nearby. About 30 min away.) require and enforce helmets. Maybe after awhile my parents will get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    concussions suck. and 1500 for a check up on your head? jesus
    Yup, $1500 just to ask me a ton of questions, some weird DUI type tests (Walk in a straight line, touch your nose,etc.), telling my parents the dangers of skateboarding without a helmet, and in the end say everything is fine.

If it happens again just make sure to not lie down and take a nap or go to sleep for at least 3 or 4 hours. I'm sure they told you that, but it is always good advice to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Apesht
    It's a skateboard, jesus you are dumb
    No I'm not.

Turbo Raptor!

Trust me, I was a Snowboard instructor for 5 years and saw the worst head injuries have to give, NoSwitch is right, the smallest hit can lead to death. It sounds an overreaction but given the choice between 1500 bucks and your life I know what I'd choose.

Never ever ever take a head injury lightly, get it properly checked out, because worst comes to worst a concussion is the least of your worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
    I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdc
    I don't smoke weed because I don't want to ever accidentally end up liking Sublime.

You'll be fine man. I've had my bell rung pretty hard a few times over the last 20 years of skating and I'm fine.
    I'm a punk rocker and a skateboarder. Period.-Duane Peters

I definitely recommend wearing a helmet from now on, even when you're just doing flatground; this incident shows that you can hit your head even when you're doing flatground. You'll want to get a quality one.

And on another note, the hospital ripped you off. $1500 is completely outrageous.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJinkins View Post
    I definitely recommend wearing a helmet from now on, even when you're just doing flatground; this incident shows that you can hit your head even when you're doing flatground. You'll want to get a quality one.

And on another note, the hospital ripped you off. $1500 is completely outrageous.
    $1500 is nothing compared to the cost of life long hospice care for a brain injury survivor/vegetable. Think about spending the rest of your life eating from a tube lying there half alert in your own pile of crap waiting for someone to come change your diaper. Still think it's wearing the helmet in front of your friends that doesn't look cool?

$1500 is nothing compared to the cost of life long hospice care for a brain injury survivor/vegetable. Think about spending the rest of your life eating from a tube lying there half alert in your own pile of crap waiting for someone to come change your diaper. Still think it's wearing the helmet in front of your friends that doesn't look cool?
    I agree that he made the right choice in going to the hospital, but if the services they performed for him to arrive at their medical conclusion were as simple as he claims, $1500 is still way too much.

And I don't understand that last sentence, what makes you think I'm against helmets? In my post I said he should wear a helmet. Back when I was skating I wore a helmet.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by OldManJinkins View Post
    I agree that he made the right choice in going to the hospital, but if the services they performed for him to arrive at their medical conclusion were as simple as he claims, $1500 is still way too much.

And I don't understand that last sentence, what makes you think I'm against helmets? In my post I said he should wear a helmet. Back when I was skating I wore a helmet.

The part about the cost was directed at you and OP. The part about the helmet was directed at the entire forum, and OP. Too many kids skating hard without them these days..

My wife gets a brain MRI twice a year, used to be four times a year. Would totally suck to not have insurance, because that's about what it costs.

Oh, THAT guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Paij View Post
    If it happens again just make sure to not lie down and take a nap or go to sleep for at least 3 or 4 hours. I'm sure they told you that, but it is always good advice to hear.
    Urban Legend. If anything, sleep and rest will help you heal faster.

http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=10724&sid=1