Starting skateboarding at 22 - any advice?

Thread: Starting skateboarding at 22 - any advice?

Default Starting skateboarding at 22 - any advice?

Hey everyone,

So I just bought myself a skateboard last weekend, I've been out on it a bit and have just been pushing my self around, trying to turn a bit but nothing else yet. I've also been riding in a car park as I didn't wanna go to a skatepark and get in the way trying to roll around. So just wondered does anyone have any tips for someone starting a bit later on? Also my local indoor are running beginners lessons, I was thinking it might be a good idea to go to some of those maybe?

thanks in advance!

Chillin'

If you don't feel comfortable yet going to a park it's a good idea to skate at a car park or when noones at the skate park. But you shouldn't wait to long. Skating with other people makes learning skating ALOT easier.

Also the beginner lessons sure are a good idea.

KYS

thanks man. was just a bit worried about the lessons being full of young kids and me looking like a weirdo. Something I shouldn't be worried about at 22 but it's all new to me at the minute. I just always loved skating and hate 'grown up' hobbies!

Chillin'

It's cool. I started skating with 18 and when I hit up a local park there only were kids who already skated some years. It feels a bit weird at the beginning, but if you make friends with them it's realy great. One of them is now my best friend.

KYS

Lessons would be awesome as a beginner. Wish i could have done that when i was young. Hell, i could probably use a lesson now.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

You don't really need lesson bro. I did the same thing too. I would just ride around my street, side street, or parking lot by myself at first. After about a week I took it to the park. People are going to look at you at first, mainly to figure out who the new guy is. After they find out your suck at skateboarding they won't pay you anymore attention. Just stay out the way and don't snake peoples lines. If you come back enough people will offer some advice and even take time out to show the correct way to do things. Skateboarding, contrary to popular belief, has a supportive culture. Sooner or later you will find yourself rolling out with people that skate way better then you, that it forces you to learn quick.

I say you don't have to really pay for lessons. Most things you need to know you can find out from asking here or searching youtube. It is good to help out skate schools too so it's totally up to you. Don't feel bad about picking up skating at 22, I'm 27 and most of the guys I skate with are 24+

Skate Pirate

Don't get discouraged...**** the haters...have fun...wear a helmet (you're at the point of your life where you've gotta consider the long-term consequences of getting fxcked in the head from a gnarly wipeout). But mostly, have fun. And fxck the haters.

Agreed pads and a lid are a great idea. And your old enough not to care what other people think so dont worry about it. Skate cuz you want to, dont worry about trends or whatever. Skate what you want, how you want. Haters are gonna hate, and skaters are gonna skate.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

Hey thanks guys. Some awesome stuff said there. I'm gonna keep at it, get used to the bored and then go hit up a park early next weekend I think.

Helmet is a good point, can't see my boss being too cool with me being out of work because I came off my skateboard haha

Quote Originally Posted by naboo View Post
    Hey thanks guys. Some awesome stuff said there. I'm gonna keep at it, get used to the bored and then go hit up a park early next weekend I think.

Helmet is a good point, can't see my boss being too cool with me being out of work because I came off my skateboard haha
    Even if you do slam and yoir out of work, YOU DONT TELL THE BOSS IT WAS SKATE RELATED. I separated my shoulder and chipped a bone in my elbow skating a bowl in november. Told work i fell off a ladder at home inspecting my roof.
    - Jeff Grosso

Too True bro, I messed up my heel going over a stair set cus I was worried about what people were thinking. Ended up loosing total concentration and taking a mean spill. Lesson on that day, Get in the zone, stay in the zone. haha

The Philly skater <--- my post in being injured.
    The Philly Skater, Over N Out

www.thephillyskater.blogspot.com

If you have the money for them, I guess lessons wouldn't hurt, although they're not necessary.

Regardless of whether or not you take the lessons, you'll first want to become super comfortable riding around on your board and turning and whatnot, and be comfortable with speed. After that you should learn the flatground Ollie.

Yeah I think I'm gonna pass on the lessons and get comfortable like you say then go from there.

It's snowing where I am pretty bad at the minute so can't get out and don't feel right going to the indoor park just yet, can't wait to get out and on my board.

you can always watch youtube to kind of teach yourself the basics...thats what i did...but im still not great yet
    "Do what you love and try not to look at what other people occupy themselves with. Most people seem restless and bounce around too much to focus or even pay attention enough to themselves to figure out exactly what they really do love, as opposed to what the people that surround them are doing." -Rodney Mullen