The Official Guitar Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Guitar Thread

Scrubs Nerd

Default The Official Guitar Thread

Just thought we could have one of these, I know at least a few of you guys play.

Some of you may know I've been playing for a few months and I still enjoy it and I get better every time I play.

How long have you been playing for? What do you play on? etc etc
    Last edited by kk360; 04-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.

hello my name is bumsore,

the guitar is one of my most favortist instruments. i have played the guitar since i was 13 (that was a long time ago!!). since i never actually practiced and just kinda dicked around/learned parts of songs reading tab, im really not that good at it.

I remember nearly hating playing guitar my first few years. I wanted to learn because I was way into metal and thought crazy shreddy dudes were awesome, so barely being able to play a couple of notes was massively frustrating. I'm to the point where I can easily play most of what I write for myself and am pretty confident I could handle bands and such, but I definitely feel like I should have put more time in over the years (I still have to look up how to change the strings every time, etc.).

Here's some guitar I have been fond of:

(and actually, this is the song that I FIRST wanted to learn...still haven't taken the time to do that)

actually since I'm on break, I think I'll take the time that I'm not practicing, writing, whatever for other things to work on my guitar skillz.

Skate Pirate

Turbo Raptor!

This is my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by The Late Great Colonel Sanders
    I'm too drunk, to taste this chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdc
    I don't smoke weed because I don't want to ever accidentally end up liking Sublime.

Gravity Slave Moderator

After playing drums at various levels, and various genres over the past 20 something years I decided to monkey around with some guitars, picked up a couple fairly cheap guitars (squires) and basses (fake Fender Precision, a Washburn that is kinda nice actually) along with some amps and a small PA. I played bass and rhythm guitar in a black gospel band for a little over a year for a change of pace. Then, I did a couple more years playing drums in another Praise band. Not quite as fun as all the bar and club gigs back in the 80s though hahaha.

Anyway, I became the proud owner of a 1956 Jose Ramirez Classical Guitar (student model) a few years ago after my father passed away. He purchased it in Madrid right out of college when he was stationed there US Army before he even met my mom. I don't play it nearly as much as I should.. afraid to break something hahaha..

Anyway, here is my most prized musical instrument..

яussian

Awesome classical there. 1956 was a looong time ago.

I began playing like 10 years ago and all I knew was 2 chords, but I only started "seriously" getting into it about 1 or 2 years ago. I was playing my dad's Ibanez until I went through a weird buy-return-buy-return-buy process with used guitars. I ended up with a new Korean PRS single cut. Since then I've upgraded the neck pickup to a split single (sounds like a humbucker+P90) and am planning to replace the plastic nut with a TUSQ nut. Been playing through a Fender Mustang III (100W) and recently purchased a Boss DD-7 delay pedal.

I play clean most of the time, sometimes do weird/ambient stuff with the pedal and built-in amp effects.

I play acoustic occasionally but for some reason prefer the sound and feel of electric. Don't have a photo but I use a 1970s Sigma DR-7 that my nice neighbor just gave me for free. It's an amazing guitar too.

Oh and apart from guitar, I've been playing drums for ~5 years, but been playing way more guitar in the last year. I rarely play my drums now.

psn=Stusiano

I have been playing for the past 7 or 8 years, teaching in a store and also doing repairs. It is awesome. I got really into it about 2 years ago when I found a killer group to jam with. My main rig is currently an Ibanez AG75 through a crybaby, akai chorus (****ty, but a friend left it at my place so its in my rig for now), boss pedal tuner, boss dd-7, ibanez tube screamer, and an mxr dynacomp (had a ross compressor until a few months ago when it died), and all that goes into a Bugera V22. I will upload photos when I get the chance.

Super Moderator

Does this count? haha

But seriously yeah I play some guitar now and then, I can do a good amount of stuff.
    Problem is that I want to be able to record guitar, and I need some interface to hook it up.
    I can't afford dishing out $200 =X

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Does this count? haha
    Does it get you laid??

Super Moderator

YUP

****IN VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS

ALL DA TIEMZ

I really want a floyd rose... so bad

Gravity Slave Moderator

Speaking about getting laid..I had a slight problem with my Ramirez last weekend...

angry, young & beautiful

i too am a player of the gortar.
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Yay, a guitar thread!

I've been playing for about four years now, and am still pretty horrible, I think I play some pretty odd stuff as well. Here are some videos of my horribleness if you want to watch

Also Nitro, dude that PRS is beautiful

Your Mother

I plays de bass. 6 strings are be too much fur ma head to be countin. I must have a thing for 4 strings because I play the violin too.

Could you play a six string bass?

Your Mother

Quote Originally Posted by ricta View Post
    Could you play a six string bass?
    I've never had the opportunity, but with practice probably. I'm trying the guitar at the moment but I always get my strings mixed up and end up playing the wrong one :L

Quote Originally Posted by _Turtle View Post
    I've never had the opportunity, but with practice probably. I'm trying the guitar at the moment but I always get my strings mixed up and end up playing the wrong one :L
    Haha, I gotcha. I couldn't imagine playing on a seven or eight string guitar. Those extra strings would feel so weird :X

яussian

Quote Originally Posted by ricta View Post
    Yay, a guitar thread!

I've been playing for about four years now, and am still pretty horrible, I think I play some pretty odd stuff as well. Here are some videos of my horribleness if you want to watch

Also Nitro, dude that PRS is beautiful
    Thanks, and dude your videos are boss. I love the timing and your hammer-on playing. Not horrible at all. I'm guessing you come up with the melodies, they sound awesome. I love odd music haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Thanks, and dude your videos are boss. I love the timing and your hammer-on playing. Not horrible at all. I'm guessing you come up with the melodies, they sound awesome. I love odd music haha.
    Haha, thanks a bunch yo. And yes, I come with all of the melodies and stuff. I'm pretty bad/lazy at learning songs, so 95% of the stuff I play is just stuff that i've made up.

Beautiful stuff ricta; easily subbed.

@turtle, man going from bass to violin seems like it'd be a big jump. I played viola for a semester in highschool and it was pretty much a different world for me; totally foreign muscle engagement/posture (probably doesn't help that I tend to play with baseball grip cause of my big ass hands). I do like just practicing on bass (I really only bust it out to record, don't often doodle like on the guitar) because the fact that it's a heftier instrument actually gets me thinking about playing lighter so I can be more dexterous with it.