The Official Guitar Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Guitar Thread

Thanks so much for watching.

And yeah turtle, I tried to play violin when I was ten and I was absolutely horrible, haha.

Your Mother

Well I've played the violin for a lot longer, I only started playing bass around 3-4 years ago. I picked up bass because both my dad and my brother play it. They sort of compliment each other, I need a big reach with my pinky, mostly for violin, but bass also helps with that. I'm not sure which one explains my freakishly large handspan, but I think one of them must.

Yeah, I could see that, I have really small hands but over the couple years that i've been playing guitar they've definitely become more flexible.

I really wish I had stuck with the violin, I imagine knowing how to play it made learning other string instruments much easier.

Your Mother

Well it's given me a lot of opportunities at school, with the orchestra and such. I wish I'd practiced more early on, because I'd probably be a lot better. I used to just wing it in my lessons :L
    Anyway, this has now strayed from guitars

Yeah, true that lol.

I'm so jealous of all you right handed guitarists, you guys always have so many more options when it comes to guitar models. Not to mention going to guitar center's "lefty land" and finding four-five left handed guitars is always so depressing :X

****, I'm jealous of people who have money to buy things.

Quote Originally Posted by major bumsore View Post
    ****, I'm jealous of people who have money to buy things.
    This too.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ricta View Post
    Yeah, true that lol.

I'm so jealous of all you right handed guitarists, you guys always have so many more options when it comes to guitar models. Not to mention going to guitar center's "lefty land" and finding four-five left handed guitars is always so depressing :X
    My 9 year old daughter is left handed. Last night she brought me an old uke the kids are allowed to tear up and asked me if I would show her how to play guitar. I haven't considered restring it leftie. She uses a right handed computer mouse and plays piano. I suppose after she learns three or four chords and seems to want to continue I would flip one and give it to her to try leftie. I tuned it up for her and showed her 3 chords. She didn't seem all that interested. She really just wanted to see if I would drop everything I was doing and send her some attention I think. But, I'll ask her again tonight if she wants to try the chords again.

Your Mother

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    My 9 year old daughter is left handed. Last night she brought me an old uke the kids are allowed to tear up and asked me if I would show her how to play guitar. I haven't considered restring it leftie. She uses a right handed computer mouse and plays piano. I suppose after she learns three or four chords and seems to want to continue I would flip one and give it to her to try leftie. I tuned it up for her and showed her 3 chords. She didn't seem all that interested. She really just wanted to see if I would drop everything I was doing and send her some attention I think. But, I'll ask her again tonight if she wants to try the chords again.
    Make her learn everything right handed. Turn her to the light side early.

Gravity Slave Moderator

What is odd is that I've always tuned the ukes I have the same as guitars so the chords work the same as the bottom 4 strings on guitars. I'm looking at some chord charts online and seeing that some ukes appear to be different depending in the size. I see that for baritones it is standard to tune G C B E like the bottom of a guitar, the one in question is a baritone. I've always tuned it and played it just like you would a guitar. It wouldn't have occurred to me that the smaller ones would be tuned differently with different chord fingering. WHY??

angry, young & beautiful

ukes are generally tuned GCEA
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Type Scale length[28] Total length Tuning[29]
    soprano 13" (33 cm) 21" (53 cm) A4-D4-F#4-B4 or G4-C4-E4-A4
    concert 15" (38 cm) 23" (58 cm) G4-C4-E4-A4, A4-D4-F#4-B4, or G3-C4-E4-A4
    tenor 17" (43 cm) 26" (66 cm) G3-C4-E4-A4, G4-C4-E4-A4, A4-D4-F#4-B4, or D4-G3-B3-E4
    baritone 19" (48 cm) 30" (76 cm) D3-G3-B3-E4
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele
    Yup, the one I learned on is a baritone though.

Scrubs Nerd

Played a lot today, stopping now cause my fingers hurt haha. Starting to get the hang of barre chords, I can get the chord now and I'm slowly getting used to the shapes. Learning a song with a b minor in it helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by _Turtle View Post
    Make her learn everything right handed. Turn her to the light side early.

If she's really that much more comfortable playing left handed then I think she should be allowed to. Personally, I played lefty because I actually am left handed, and the pinky on my left hand is kind of messed up so forming chords or doing hammer ons/pull offs always felt uncomfortable when playing right handed.

LeftLaneClosed

Im lefty and I olay right handed because that was the kind of guitar my mom had. I've been playing since I was 13, and im decent. I have 5 guitars, ill have to get a family photo on here soon

angry, young & beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    Yup, the one I learned on is a baritone though.
    true i was gonna add in that the big ones have the guitar tuning but admittedly i only half read your post :P
    any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

Your Mother

Quote Originally Posted by ricta View Post
    If she's really that much more comfortable playing left handed then I think she should be allowed to. Personally, I played lefty because I actually am left handed, and the pinky on my left hand is kind of messed up so forming chords or doing hammer ons/pull offs always felt uncomfortable when playing right handed.
    Yeah, I was kidding She can do whatever she wants. I've always wanted to be ambidextrous, but it seems like a lot of effort for something I could probably only use if I broke my arm or something.

Do any of you guys tend to use any alternate tunings? Whether they be drop tuned or tuned up?

I seem to almost never write in standard anymore, which is probably a bad thing but it's normally a lot easier to make something up in an open tuning nowadays.

I pretty much spend half my time in drop D and the other half in standard. I've messed around with bringing the "drop" tuning down maybe a half or whole step, but none of the funky custom tunings that some people do where the strings are all tuned to different intervals. One of these days (in the distant future) I wanna get a 7 or 8 string though and I might mess around with the tuning.

That's cool. I should probably start using standard a little more often, i've only wrote one or two things in it in the past couple of months.

My favorite tunings tend to be open, so they give me a nice bright sound. You guys should try messing around with a few of em, they're great for the noodling around. I especially love:

FACGCE
    DAEAC#E
    EAEG#BE