Skating Alone
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skating Alone

Default Skating Alone

So, my final exams are coming up and right after I have semester break! I'm thinking of using that time to improve my skating (haven't skated too often for a while now even though I've had my board for 4 years) but I'd be doing that alone.

Do you guys think it'd be okay to skate around by myself? I'd probably be skating after dark since I just feel too self-conscious during the day (i.e I really don't want to be labelled a poser just because I suck for now).
    I would grab a bunch of my friends but none of them skate.

I love skating by myself in the odd hours. you have all the park to yourself & you can practice anything you want a million times without bothering anybody else with it. on the other hand I also love skating with friends, it's a completely different kind of energy than doing it by your self.
    I dunno which I like more though...

Yeah, I guess it isn't so bad after all. It must be really calming. I'll just skate by myself. No biggie, I guess.

But my problem is the nearest skate park in my city is all the way in town which is about 2 hours away and I feel unsafe walking all the way there at night (haha!). What would you recommend when skating around the streets? I live right next to a grocery shop with a reallllllly smooth parking lot...though I still feel self-conscious skating around since it's opposite a main road. Do you reckon it'd be alright?

Skate Pirate

Skate for yourself, by yourself...at least that's my mantra. The one gripe I had is that I always seem to run into a progression wall, where I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of and learn more stuff. But, all the skating I've ever done has been solo, so i really enjoy it.

Boss

I use to bring my friends even If they didn't skate to a spot.
    Even though they talked ish It was still fun.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

I always found that by myself I was never really motivated to skate. When I brought friends along, i found that I was able to do more and I was much more motivated to try more.
    5/31 Psychostick

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

I can't do stuff like this. I'll make too much noise at night if I skate in my neighbourhood and I can't really go to my favourite skate spot because you have to cross the patch (dangerous part of town) haha. Don't want to get my **** stolen.

Хой!

If you got no skater homies, go to the park. Usually, the same people skate there a lot. Those people will make good homies to kick it with and skate. Get a crew going, hit them up when you go skate.

I really have no skate friends. There are people at the park im friendly with but i dont have their phone numbers or anything. I just skate with who is around, met some cool people.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

Oh, wow, guys!!! Kudos for all the replies!

I'm not too worried about progression because I can pretty much motivate myself. But yeah I guess what you said, Rockst*r, I would probably be a solo skater...though the self-consciousness is killing me!!

And, yeah NightRocker (I love your sig, by the way!!!), that is exactly why I can't head over to the skatepark in my city because it's in the most dodgy part of town But do people usually get pissed off if you skate around at night? I mean, I live in a pretty student-dense area and I'd be skating during the break..........though I don't want to get shouted at...

Vit, I was considering making friends who skate that way but I'm not sure how accepting they would be of me? Like I said, I've had my board for ages but have only skated a couple of times due to the parentals (though I've moved out now so that's no loner a problem) so my skills would be terrible compared to theirs.

You can't worry about what other people will think of you when they see you skate. Everyone starts somewhere. When I skate alone, which is often, I usually listen to music to keep myself into it.

That is true but I'm just really worried about the stigma that's attached to girls who skate i.e if we're not as good as the guys just because we're getting back into it I don't want people to be all like "hurhurhur look at her, she can't skate for *****"

Stop caring what people think. Your life isnt about them, its about you. Skate for yourself, to make yourself feel good and happy. People that make fun are either jealous or threatened. People stare at me all the time, usually because im the oldest one in the park. Just do what you want to, if your having fun i think you will make friends no problem.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

honestly im not very good and i still skate around my town...just the other day i had someone flip me off as they were driving by and i just kept skating...if you are scared of getting kicked out of a spot by someone, all they can do is tell you not to skate there (at least the first time anyway) and if you do get kicked out just smile and say ok...you could also ask if they care if you skate there, some people dont mind
    "Do what you love and try not to look at what other people occupy themselves with. Most people seem restless and bounce around too much to focus or even pay attention enough to themselves to figure out exactly what they really do love, as opposed to what the people that surround them are doing." -Rodney Mullen

Хой!

Quote Originally Posted by dext17 View Post
    Vit, I was considering making friends who skate that way but I'm not sure how accepting they would be of me? Like I said, I've had my board for ages but have only skated a couple of times due to the parentals (though I've moved out now so that's no loner a problem) so my skills would be terrible compared to theirs.
    I know some people who aren't that good, but are cool and not kooks, and that's why I'm happy to skate with them. Just don't snake to the best of your ability, introduce yourself, give them a pound if you are heading out, talk about something gnarly they might've done, ask for trick advice, etc.

Sometimes we just sit down and chill after the sun has gone down and it's too dark to skate. Then, we decide on a small party BBQ or just go home, good times. Definitely looking forward to summer.

Also, you progress way faster with people around you. Bounce ideas off friends, change them up a little if you want to, etc. If you can't figure out how to flow a park, just watch how other people do it and do the same. Sessions also tend to last longer, a whole day instead of an hour or so.

3459'20"N, 10636'52"W

Quote Originally Posted by dext17 View Post
    And, yeah NightRocker (I love your sig, by the way!!!), that is exactly why I can't head over to the skatepark in my city because it's in the most dodgy part of town But do people usually get pissed off if you skate around at night? I mean, I live in a pretty student-dense area and I'd be skating during the break..........though I don't want to get shouted at...
    Thanks, I'm glad I made someone laugh at my dramatic bails haha. The nearest skatepark is a 20 minute drive north and I can't drive yet. I live in one of the safest neighbourhoods in the area but still we have people with switchblades just hanging around at night drunk/high so I'd really like to avoid it. Had to cross that area before at midnight and people would shout things out their cars which scared the living hell out of me. Nobody would really yell at me for skating at midnight (I've done it in the past) but where I usually skate is at my school and because it's right in front of big houses every little trick I pop makes a huge echo, and I really don't want to disturb anyone. People are pretty friendly to skaters on my street. I live right beside the school so when I would go skate at lunch teachers would always praise me and say good job haha. I usually skate alone though because my non-skating friends hate it when I skate beside them and my skating friends live very far away (50 minutes away) and since my parents have been busy I haven't been going to parks for a long time. I really hope the indoor park (which is a 2 minute drive) re-opens soon after being closed for water damage.

Default Skating Alone

I know what you're going through I sucked at skating and none of my friends skate so I was forced to practice on my own and was very self conscious of those around me. Then one morning I woke up and realized I don't give a **** what other people think and I've been improving my skateboarding ever since.

There's nothing better than when some tosser trying to look tough yells at you to do a kickflip and you land one first try and wipe that smug look of his ****ing face

Mmhmm, yeah, I think you guys are right. I'm just going to get over the self-consciousness thing (reckon it'll help me go a long way in real life too :P) since it's either that or never improving on my skating ability. Especially what you said, xGer. I'm skating for me and not to impress randoms so whatever.

Haha, Willg aren't you afraid of falling off you're board when you're trying to land a trick and smashing you're phone/mp3? I'm terrified of that since I can't afford to get a new phone haha.

Wtf, I can't believe someone would do that Jesse (if that's your name!). That just seems so stupid and pointless to me.

Oh, gosh! Sorry, NightRocker, I had no idea that was you but you almost landed it!!! And I can totally relate to having high/drunk people around! It sucks majorly, eh?! Since I live in a student dorm I literally have to wait till all of them have left before I can go out and skate (mind you, I've only done it once this month because I have finals coming up). I think schools and mall parking lots are an AMAZING place to skate. I'm quite lucky in that aspect since I live right next door to a school too!

Haha, Robsta I get you! I'm just getting into that attitude because I honestly think that I sometimes care too much what randoms think of me. :P Let's hope with practice during semester break I'll be landing kickflips pretty soon!

Haha, well taking embarrassing bails is just all part of it. God knows ive taken plenty. People may laugh, but you'll be having more fun skating than they ever will. and as for breaking a phone, I have a flip phone, so not a major concern hahah.

I guess that's all part of skating (also definitely applicable to real life with the whole pick yourself up and keep at it!). Hahahah, true! Those are much more durable like those old school Nokia phones!