Careers - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Careers

Quote Originally Posted by Doodily View Post
    Same here. I lucked out and just "got" computers. But, at 34, I'm going back to school. The nice thing about going back when you are older, is you appreciate what you are learning. At 19, I could care less about economics, math, writing skills, etc. Now that i've been in working in the corporate world for 15 years, I fully understand why all of that stuff matters. If you have an opportunity to go back to school, even part time (that's all I can handle working 40-50 hours per week), it's totally worth it.
    +1 for me. I don't have a degree either and fortunately I "got" computers as well. I started at helpdesk, then wound up as VIP Desktop Support Tech for the guy that runs the NIAID. Lost my contract and have decided to take the leap of faith and go all in on my skateboarding company SK84EVR. It'll be launching in two weeks and you guys get first dibs... if you want

I'm a bicycle mechanic at a small bike shop in my hometown. Its fun, I fix bikes, help customers, stock shelves...etc. We're all friends with each other so its a fun place to work.

Default Re: Careers

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jay View Post
    I want to get Into auto mechanics or become a zoologist In the next 5 years.
    I've been a mechanic since 05. My boss is one of my best friends, and being just me and him at the shop, it makes the day go by quicker.
    It's a great job if you want to stay active all day and are interested in cars. If you're looking to just slack through the day, it's definitely not this job. Haha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

God

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    Yeah, I was in school during the throes of the Great Recession, so absolutely NO companies were hiring on college interns in my field, and that has really held me back. It bugs the hell out of me when some 'real' grownups are going on about how anyone with a college degree should be making at least $15/hr doing something, then hearing that I'm not, and assuming I'm just some kind of welfare-queen or hipster with a useless art degree. They change their tone very quickly though when they find out what my degree actually is in (construction management).

Head to Australia ! Plenty of jobs in your field that will pay way way over 15 an hour haha, You would be making a killing in Sydney.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Retired Staff

Been silk screening clothing since i've been out of highschool now, 3 years. I enjoy it but it might be time for a change soon... After realizing how much money i make for the company and how under paid i am it makes going to work suck a bit

Global Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Marcan3308 View Post
    I've been a mechanic since 05. My boss is one of my best friends, and being just me and him at the shop, it makes the day go by quicker.
    It's a great job if you want to stay active all day and are interested in cars. If you're looking to just slack through the day, it's definitely not this job. Haha.

You're lucky, I don't talk to anyone in my office. Everybody is 35+ and I'm 19, nothing in common at all.

Oh.My.GLOB

My lab has a mix of people, the guy I work next to is really funny and definitely helps pass the time when I'm waiting hours for something to change colour or some other realling boring procedure needs doing.

One thing I have found in getting on in my work environment is that people are so different that common ground is pretty rare so the best way to establish that sort of rapport is by making new common ground not just finding something that already exists.
    "Hail Caesarean"

яussian

Got an internship at a software company for this summer. Will probably be doing some web and design work, maybe a bit of programming.

Boss

Did you go to school to become certified or? If so how was that?
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathtek4 View Post
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

I'm a lifeguard; it goes hand in hand with my skating, whenever I'm stiff or sore I can swim it out during working hours

God

I feel like im destined for great things, way more then just a landscape horticulturalist, I just need to make things happen. What I do in the mean time is not a waste of time but just leading upto that moment of greatness.....I hope.

We may not know what skateboarding is
    But we sure as hell know what it aint
    Wait we know what it is now too -
    Falling down and gettin back up

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jay View Post
    Did you go to school to become certified or? If so how was that?
    I actually only went to school for a few months. I thought it was VERY boring. I've learned a hell of a lot more by just being there and doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by marleyfan0 View Post
    You're lucky, I don't talk to anyone in my office. Everybody is 35+ and I'm 19, nothing in common at all.
    Actually, my boss is 40+ and I'm 27, but we still have plenty in common...def not skating, though. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Feelgood View Post
    I feel like im destined for great things, way more then just a landscape horticulturalist, I just need to make things happen. What I do in the mean time is not a waste of time but just leading upto that moment of greatness.....I hope.
    Love Randal.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

Boss

I actually only went to school for a few months. I thought it was VERY boring. I've learned a hell of a lot more by just being there and doing it.

Yea I'd love an apprenticeship but It's hard with a jacked license.
    Boob.
    - call me Aj.

http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=68269 Feel free to share, those of you who actually skate.

You should invite AndrewJay over. Did he send you a yearbook portrait as well?
    He sent me an envelop full of stickers for correctly guessing the final score of the SuperBowl in his contest thread. I was sitting at the dinner table with Mrs NoSwitch emptying out the envelope looking at the stickers and out drops his yearbook photo.. Wife's like "what the hell is that for??" So I sez "aww he probably just grabbed a handful of stuff out of a drawer not realizing the photo was also in there" cause that's what I really thought about it. A few days later he shoots me a PM asking me "what do you think?""
    If the rest room doesn't have that paper seat to pull off the wall, I just hover above like a Ufo dumping Cosby kids into Lake Michigan.

Retired Staff

Lovely data entry job that is painfully monotonous and I'm working on my grad degree in literature. I put in an app for a teaching spot so hopefully I get that.
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

angry, young & beautiful

any relationship that matters - a friendship, a family, a romance, a band - anything - is a perilous and fragile thing because along with all the amazing experiences and creations that can come from something so intimate and exhausting comes the possibility for things to crumble and shatter or whither and die. when that happens, it's easy to forget what was precious amidst all the disaster. we should always carry our history with us but never let it bury us.

DJyoyoLilDyls

being 15 and just barely in high school idk if i should go do what i love for small pay, like auto mechanics. or go big and try to be a pharmacist or something so i can get a bigger income. i'm just a kid idk

Retired Staff

Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltageSk8r View Post
    Yup
    Nobody wants too be old, and nobody want too old to skateboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    being 15 and just barely in high school idk if i should go do what i love for small pay, like auto mechanics. or go big and try to be a pharmacist or something so i can get a bigger income. i'm just a kid idk
    Auto repair can net you a LOT of money. It depends on how hard you want to work. I get paid "flat rate" which means I get paid off of what work gets done, not hourly. For example, if I do a brake job that pays 3 hours, but it only takes me 1 hour, I still get paid for all 3. It's a great way to make a lot of money, but you have to be willing to work.