I think Freestyle is going to make a comeback. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think Freestyle is going to make a comeback.

i don't think it will do . https://shareit.vin https://mxplayer.vin
    Last edited by smithclarkson01; 11-07-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Retired Staff

Sorry to necropost but it's interesting on another forum I'm on one of the members runs an online skate shop/distribution company in England that specializes in freestyle gear who said since the outbreak his sales have gone up.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

I'm trying to be more Zen. What is the sound of me not giving a fuck?

C/S,
    Rev J

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rev J View Post
    Sorry to necropost but it's interesting on another forum I'm on one of the members runs an online skate shop/distribution company in England that specializes in freestyle gear who said since the outbreak his sales have gone up.
    Funny part is, that user has an account here. I tried getting him back here, but he's perfectly happy over at AlwaysWill.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Makes sense with skateparks closed and people laying low close to home that freestyle might see an uptick. I've toyed with the notion of pushing the Muller Chess deck around out front some. I have no illusions that I'll have the balance and dexterity to learn any new tricks. But. some moonwalking and walking the dog will definitely happen if I get it out there..

Retired Staff

Yeah. I might go out in a couple of days after I get caught up on some rest.
    "Before diagnosing yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by assholes," William Gibson

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

Yo Yo throwing down a little trickery..

https://vimeo.com/404791497

Retired Staff

This brought a smile to my face.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I just paid too much money for a set of pretty well used Bones Freestyle V IVs. ... Just because I think they'd look cool on my Mullen Chess Reissue. The really early natural OJ IIs were perfectly fine functionally, moving them to the smaller Mutt deck because that's an earlier shape.

Retired Staff

I've got Momentum Kevin Harris wheels on my main board. They are similar to the OJII Freestyle wheels only dual durometer.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've got Momentum Kevin Harris wheels on my main board. They are similar to the OJII Freestyle wheels only dual durometer.
    I looked at a set of those. Might put some on the Decomposed Welinder.

Retired Staff

I like them so much I even got a NOS set for when I wear them out.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I decided to save $15 and go with a set of the Rollerbones and washers Decomposed is selling for the Decomposed Welinder instead of the Kevin Harris wheels. Now I need to find a project/deck for the Rat Bones I'm taking off the Welinder. I have some old school 8.5" trucks so any pool deck would work. Humm.. will start looking next week or so..

Skate Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by NoSwitch View Post
    I decided to save $15 and go with a set of the Rollerbones and washers Decomposed is selling for the Decomposed Welinder instead of the Kevin Harris wheels. Now I need to find a project/deck for the Rat Bones I'm taking off the Welinder. I have some old school 8.5" trucks so any pool deck would work. Humm.. will start looking next week or so..
    I gotta figure out something to do with my board...the wheel/truck combo is just a wee little bit too short; the wheels sit about a quarter inch inside the edge of the board. I'm using Royal trucks in a 7" axle width and those Speedlab/Moonshine wheels that mimic an OJII shape.

Gravity Slave Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rockst*r View Post
    I gotta figure out something to do with my board...the wheel/truck combo is just a wee little bit too short; the wheels sit about a quarter inch inside the edge of the board. I'm using Royal trucks in a 7" axle width and those Speedlab/Moonshine wheels that mimic an OJII shape.
    Rat Bones reissues have a pretty deep offset. It will definitely give you at least a quarter inch per side past the axle end. Or, you could just throw 4-5 washers on the axles against each side of the hangers. That's how most freestyle set ups are fine tuned..

Just for kicks, I did a couple old school kick flips on the grass out front today. Not feeling solid enough to try one rolling, but felt good to actually land a couple, even on the grass.

Skate Pirate

Rat Bones reissues have a pretty deep offset. It will definitely give you at least a quarter inch per side past the axle end. Or, you could just throw 4-5 washers on the axles against each side of the hangers. That's how most freestyle set ups are fine tuned..

Just for kicks, I did a couple old school kick flips on the grass out front today. Not feeling solid enough to try one rolling, but felt good to actually land a couple, even on the grass.
    I've got a set of Abec11 Noskoolz that fit perfectly flush to the edge of the board, but those are centerset and symmetrical, so the inside edge takes up a lot of real estate near the kingpin. I know there are freestyle wheels that match that similar profile (to a Noskool or a Bel-Air Lip Bomb), but I gotta find 'em. I'll check out the Rat Bones though, thanks for the tip!

Gravity Slave Moderator

One old school kick flip too far DOH!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Retired Staff

I've heard with the Rollerbones you will need about 7 or 8 washers behind each of them.

C/S,
    Rev J

Gravity Slave Moderator

I've heard with the Rollerbones you will need about 7 or 8 washers behind each of them.
    ROLLERBONES team WHITE 57mm 98a

Traditional freestyle wheels (1980s)

Comes with 28 speed washers (must use 7 behind each wheel)

Made by Bones/Powell Peralta

Competition quality

Surface contact area 25.4mm / 1"

Overall width 30mm / 1.18"
    https://www.decomposedskateboards.co...ite-57mm-98a-4
    I've also put a bearing spacer between the hanger and inside wheel bearing to push them way out. rockst*r might want to try that trick too. The fatter axle nuts don't crank down to the nylon with a bearing spacer there though.

Retired Staff

I've noticed some bearings like Synopsis come with thinner axle nuts too.

C/S,
    Rev J

Caveman

Bearings.... bearing spacers... this is beginning to sound like a skate forum. I didn't know that I was hanging out with a bunch of street-rat skaters! Oh no....

Left coast USA is having a string of nice weather... at least around the Bayarrhea. I should have tossed my board into my car.
    Hope that everybody is staying safe and finding a way to replenish the stoke. If you got the time and the weather, go get some!
    Gnarwheels skate site: http://gnarwheels.proboards.com/