How long did it take you to learn how to skate? Tips?

Thread: How long did it take you to learn how to skate? Tips?

Iron Fan

Default How long did it take you to learn how to skate? Tips?

I want to learn how to skateboard for transportation purposes. I have 2 skateboards at home and i would learn how to ride one. But I'm kind of scared to. I'm just scared to fall. I understand that falling is definitely going to happen, but i'm just scared because I don't want to break anything. I've been told that if I have padding, it should take away some of the fear but that doesn't work for me. I'm basically scared to push off because I don't want to do splits or have the board slip from under me. Now for my balance, I might be OK at it but i'm not sure. When I get my back foot on the board, I'm rolling fine. But I have only about 10 feet of space in my house (I try to practice in my house so I don't get embarrassed if I trip) so I only ride with both my feet on for about 1-3 seconds. I really want to learn to skate so I get my balancing down so I can switch over to a long board and a penny board. Which would be easier for me to ride? And how long did it take you to learn how to skate successfully?

Dr. Ska-Ctopus

Practice in a park or extremely open space first. Try doing tic tacs (lifting up the front trucks and swinging the front either left or right a bit, then setting the front back down), and just ride around said open space until you're extremely comfortable. Also, learn how to foot brake, powerslide, or even learn to scrape your tail to stop (which gives your board razor tail, which is bad, but it's definitely better than going headlong into traffic.)
    Check out the Official Longboarding Thread: http://www.skaterscafe.com/showthread.php?t=108102

Quote Originally Posted by SkateboardG View Post
    Only a couple of us can fly, R-Kelly & Michael Jordan in his prime.

I dont think you really ever stop learning. Keep at it, loosen your trucks. Dont get a penny they suck ass. Ride a real skateboard.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

Thats Me!

pretty much what TGI said, also you could use the space in your house a bit to learn to take a quick push and step on the board but really this won't get you far..

just pracice and fall a few times and you'll realize it's not that bad and won't hurt too much then your confidence will grow.

Retired Staff

I'd say start with big, soft wheels and cheap, slow bearings. While this might frustrate you a little it will be easier to get the basics of moving and coordinating moving your feet to push off. I disagree with loosening your trucks at first. I say start tight because even though it will be harder to turn it will feel more stable until you get confidence, then start loosening your trucks, get harder wheels, and faster bearings. Skate every day if you can until you get too tired. The more you do it the more you'll be able to do it.

C/S,
    Rev J

Looser trucks will force him to strengthen ankles which will help stabilize the deck during tic tacs and kick turns and in turn help the rest of his skating. Im not saying crazy loose but enough to feel a turn.
    "If you're a true skateboarder man, like, you dont know, you dont care and you dont do anything else. Like, I skateboard man, thats who I am, at the core of who I am."
    - Jeff Grosso

We first took my son to a skate park when he was 6. He just practiced pushing off, and gradually worked up to small hills. He fell a lot, but got right back up. Once he got the hang of just pushing off and riding, and got the feel of his board, he started doing tic tacs and kick turns. The first day at the park, he was going down small bank ramps.

Just takes practice!

Quote Originally Posted by XGer22x View Post
    Looser trucks will force him to strengthen ankles which will help stabilize the deck during tic tacs and kick turns and in turn help the rest of his skating. Im not saying crazy loose but enough to feel a turn.
    this is true. looser trucks will help strengthen the ankles and get your balance up much faster. After riding fairly loose trucks for 6 months to a year try a different pressure and see if you like it. I started with really tight trucks but the problem was, I couldn't turn for shid and the board kept slipping out. Once I loosened my trucks things became much easier. I could turn which atleast helped me build a little confidence. As usual I will refer you to Aaron Kyro to get you started:

Good luck bro. Shred some streets, spill some blood, have some fun...